Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Are Evo sales not up to par?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2003, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are right, you guys know more...

Hey, if you really want to know what it means to run a profitable business as it relates the auto sales then open your ears and minds to the truth. I've made 4K selling a vehicle and I have lost just as much to move an aged or stale unit. Of course we can make a profit selling at MSRP and of course we can generated more profit in Finance. The point is WE SHOULD generate a healthy profit when we sell a limited-unique vehicle like the EVO. Anybody wanting a Galant (a decent product) let me know and I will be glad to sell it to you 2K behind invoice and you keep all rebates. Doubt if any of you are too excited about that offer and that is THE POINT. The EVO is generating excitement and will not be an INVOICE or bargain vehicle. I think as more get on the road and non-EVO enthusiast see this thing the demand will slowly begin to increase again. This is one hell of a car! and won't remain our secret for long. If you can get one under MSRP. now is the time to get it
Old May 6, 2003, 07:24 PM
P2x

Originally posted by ACM
As far as why people may not be jumping for the EVO, consider this; in the rest of the world, a 6spd fully active EVO with front LSD is about $29k, the passive (though still 6spd with front LSD) is supposedly $1500 over the base WRX price. The 6spd, 300 hp, ACD'd, front LSD, US STi is $1K or so more than the US EVO. My money's back in my pocket until I see and drive both cars. Most of the people I know who are up on the EVO are also aware of the above.
Uhmm no, I think you're wrong, the USDM Evo is considerably cheaper in the states when compared to a Euro/JDM Spec Evo I believe.
Old May 6, 2003, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by P2x

Uhmm no, I think you're wrong, the USDM Evo is considerably cheaper in the states when compared to a Euro/JDM Spec Evo I believe.
According to the Japanese web site the most expensive Evo 8 is 3,298,000 ( 6 Speed and all the goodies ) divide by 118 Yen to the dollar and you get $27,949.

The cheaper 5 spd RS is 2,740,000 Yen which divided by 118 Yen to the dollar gives $23,220. The US Evo 8 is more in line with the 5 spd RS I would say, so that's a nice 5k or more mark up

In the UK, the Evo is around 26k pounds which times b y about 1.6 and you're talking $41,000. So they get shafted more than us, but have a better spec vehicle
Old May 6, 2003, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

For the last time, you cannot compare vehicle prices by country.
In Singapore, a plain Honda Civic costs USD60k and the Evo costs at least USD 100k.
In Japan, the price as posted above is about USD28k.
Prices vary dramatically across all countries due to taxes etc.
So they cant be compared directly.

From what I heard, lots of people waiting for the STIs are dropping out of the line as well. The poor economy and the less than stellar performance of the STI are probably contributors.

Seriously, in this economy, I would rather keep the 30k as rainy day money or pay off the mortgage than spend it on an expensive toy. And some dealers are still trying to charge above MSRP . . .what a joke.
Old May 6, 2003, 08:52 PM
Evolving Member

MSRP was determined using a bunch of business math. Not just cost of parts and recovery of R&D, also marketing projections and expected turn-over and many many other things.

To complain about not making money is solely instigation. No one here is going to take pity on you.

Blame it on this or that but the real reason that it's a combination of it all, including the way that dealerships run their businesses.

The dealership I bought from was very good to me, last I chatted with my salesman they had 32 Evos sold and they're having a hard time keeping them in stock. That dealership is on the MSRP list. The first dealership I went to tried was/is trying to sell over MSRP and they had sold only one. So you tell me who's making money? Are sales up to par? I would think it depends on who you talk to. From here it seems on par for Mitsubishi Motors.

By the way those dealerships I mentioned are 25 miles apart. That's how far I had to drive to spend $3,500 less.
Old May 7, 2003, 09:31 PM

Good post netmand.

I agree, regardless of the moaning about not enough profit and high demand, "it's a niche vehicle", blah blah, the simple fact is...the dealers who treat their customers the best and charge reasonable prices (MSRP or under) WILL move the Evos off their lots and make money.

Those dealers who charge above MSRP know exactly what they are doing (i.e. being greedy hoping to find that customer who somehow has extra money to burn in this economy), and they are generally pi$$ed at those dealerships that DO sell at/under MSRP and those customers that buy there. Damn capitalism supply and demand, grrr.

Martyr
Old May 7, 2003, 09:40 PM

The real pi$$er I'm seeing right now are those dealerships getting on these boards and whining/threatening about being on the boycott list, demanding to be removed, and saying how they NOW charge MSRP (i.e. since the market is drying up, STi is out, and chances of moving an Evo at higher than MSRP are nearly zero now).

Bullshiznit I say!! If you charged over MSRP for whatever reason at any time then you DESERVE to be on the crap dealer list and reap what you've sown!!

My vote is DO NOT remove those dealerships from the boycott list. They are just trying to have their cake (high markups at first) and eat it too (claim they are MSRP only now).

Of course, there is another option...create a 3rd list...the "I Was A Greedy Dealer Who Initially Charged Over MSRP But Now Say It Was Never True" list.
Old May 8, 2003, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

I agree! Leave those dealers who charge more than MSRP on the list. They deserve it, the greedy bastards.

Support the dealers who initially charge MSRP or less.
Old May 8, 2003, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Preach on Brotha!