Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Are Evo sales not up to par?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2003, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Are Evo sales not up to par?

I drove by 2 local dealerships today, one has 6 on the lot, other has 3 on the lot, im getting the picture here that thease awesome cars arnt selling as well as Mitsubishi was intending, what do you guys think?'

Forgot to mention, the cars are selling for MSRP (or at least to my knoledge they are)

Last edited by tryandcatchme; May 4, 2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old May 4, 2003, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

its the crazy mark ups that these dealers are putting on them. the dealer at my area has a $9995 mark up.
Old May 4, 2003, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Where are you located, tryandcatchme?

Yea, the markups are pissing people off.
Even if they had lowered it to MSRP, the original markup price have steered people away from those dealerships.
Old May 4, 2003, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

there are very few on the lots here in Minneapolis - and the ones that remain on the lot do so because of huge mark-ups via dealer equipment add-ons & upgrades.
Old May 4, 2003, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RA29
Where are you located, tryandcatchme?

Yea, the markups are pissing people off.
Even if they had lowered it to MSRP, the original markup price have steered people away from those dealerships.
I live in southern New Hampshire, I was out visiting friends down in southern parts of Massachusetts, on the way there, thats when I saw the 2 dealerships with the Evo's on the lot/showroom.

I was tempted to walk in with an offer of $700 over invoice,(which I highly doubt they could have eaten that) im just going to wait untill 2004.
Old May 4, 2003, 05:15 PM
P2x

I couldn't find a single dealer in the Bay Area willing to do a deal for MSRP a few months back, this was pretty much the final straw in changing my mind to get a STi insetad..

If finds sales way lower than expected for the Evo at the end of the year, it wouldn't suprise me..
Old May 4, 2003, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its entirely possible that their not selling.. I suspect most dealers are selling, or will be selling at MSRP at this point.. People are waiting till the STi is on the road and hearing from those owners to see which they will ultimately get considering the cars are so similar in performance. But keep in mind that dealers are getting a few cars every month, so its not surprising to see 2-6 cars on a lot every so often.. the dealer I bought my car from is on their third allocation, the first was all pre-sold, the second sold fairly quickly, and when I was there a week ago, they still had their third group of cars, but a few were being PDI'd for delivery.. I think the hype has dropped off, and the car will sell do the enthusiast, but the crazy rush to get at them isn't there anymore, so your not hearing about the huge demand any longer.
Old May 4, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by P2x
I couldn't find a single dealer in the Bay Area willing to do a deal for MSRP a few months back, this was pretty much the final straw in changing my mind to get a STi insetad..

If finds sales way lower than expected for the Evo at the end of the year, it wouldn't suprise me..
so when you cant get an STi for MSRP then which car are you going to look to get? dont think the same thing wont happen to the all mighty 300/300 4.6 sub 13 second super car

but good luck anyway, wouldnt suprise me if sti sales were similar to the EVO.

(at any rate, what about a sub par economy at this point. a lot of people are not in great shape. perhaps that effects sales)
Old May 4, 2003, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by P2x
They have the dealerships to blame because they dont make enough money as is selling at MSRP, yes I understand its a free market society, and yes I understand they can sell something with a high demand for a high price, but it really doesnt look good for a dealership to go from a $10,000 markup to MSRP, because if you know they tried shafting you on markup how do you know there not going to shaft you on the paperwork even though your thinking your getting the car for MSRP?

For Instance there was a salesman that was on one of the forums here listing their dealership was selling the cars for very close to MSRP over. Then a few days later he was authorised to sell the car for MSRP, now yes if I ever lived in the area, I would probably not buy a car from him just because the dealership tried marking up on the cost.

I feel this is a big reason why Mitsubishi wont be as sucessful with the Evolution as they though it would, its an awesome product, but poorly marketed.
Old May 4, 2003, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

How do you figure a dealer is not going to make money selling the car at MSRP?
Old May 4, 2003, 05:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
poorly marketed is a good point.. and poor economy is another great point... I definitely wouldn't have gotten an evo if I didn't already need to buy a new car anyway..

And because of our exposure to the Evo, and our enthusiasm for it, we are forgetting that aside from enthusiasts, very few people really do know this car really exists.. some don't even know what it looks like.
Old May 4, 2003, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BIgDaddy78660
How do you figure a dealer is not going to make money selling the car at MSRP?
I ment that sarcasticly
Old May 4, 2003, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

this car doesn't need any marketing... it's aimed at a certain group and they already know what the car is all about...

besides... what the point of spending all that money on an ad campaign, that is only going to sell 6000 cars...?
Old May 4, 2003, 06:07 PM

Maybe after fast and the furious 2 comes out (One of the two main cars being the lancer evolution) it'll sell better?
Old May 4, 2003, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

i wouldn't doubt that...

dumb ricers will learn of it, and be all over it, and give the responisble peeps a bad rap...