Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Does anyone have a Nitrous cooled intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If he wants to put it on his car, then thats up to him. The people who are calling it rice should STFU. Some wheels look ricey, some kits look ricey, its up to personal preference, and last I checked its a free country. Noone was asking for an opinion on whether it is ricey or not. If you dont have anything constructive to add, dont post, geeze.

Its definitely a valid point about the Nitrous going into the intake, but remember its only going to be a small portion as compared to the Nitrous kits that inject into into the intake mainfold, especially if you are driving along at a reasonable speed when you cool it. If you wanted to cool the FMIC b4 a run at the track, you could do it with the engine off, so as not to suck it in to the intake.

Not everyone is interested in the max HP per dollar mods
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

My point on the whole rice thing was it would be rice if you were to put a purge kit with it as well. But you're right, everyone has their own preference for everything.

Personally I don't think it would be too dangerous to run a nitrous chiller. It would probably cool your intake air enough to where you shouldn't have to worry too much about detonation from a lean condition that might present itself from some nitrous being sucked into the engine. It's just when you use co2 that it would choke your engine.

Also, for every 11*F drop in intake temperature there is about a 1% increase in horsepower. So this might net you around 5-10hp, but that's just a guestimate.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

I have one of these kit on my blown stang. I tested in on several hot summer days, and never improved ET/MPH on the track.

There are a lot of reasons why this doesn't work well. For one thing, the CO2 or nitrous is competing with a huge mass of air that's hitting the intercooler at the same time (i.e., head wind). Even though the temp of the spray is very cold, the thermal mass of the air wins. If you do the calculation, there is a temperature drop, but its only about 5 degrees. Its possible to gain a little from this, but you'll need a tune.

I also tried spraying down the intercooler with CO2 while staging, so that it gets nice and frosty before the run. It still didn't help.

Althemean is correct about ingesting the spray into the engine. It has happened to several people with CO2 sprayers in the past, causing them to bog down. However, it never happened to me with CO2 or with Nitrous spray.

Another problem is that the portion of the intercooler that gets cold from the spray is only a fraction of the total intercooler area. Look at the photo someone posted above. The area within the spray ring is the part that gets cold. This area is much less than the total intercooler area. The surrounding areas don't see the spray.