Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Before you get an HKS air intake...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Before you get an HKS air intake...

To those of you who have an HKS filter, or are planning to get one, you should know that in most independent tests the HKS filters are usually the worst when it comes to actual particulate filtration.

Here is one such tech article comparing various filters:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

As for panel filter drop-ins, you may be surprised to know that there is probably little to know REAL WORLD difference in what you use, so your main concern should be filtration quality because they will all flow about the same within the constraints of your intake box.

With that in mind, FRAM paper filters you can get at wal*mart for $6 flow great, and filter supremely. The filter better than ANY cotton mesh or foam filter. Replace them every 10-15K miles and you'll always on top of the game.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so how do you compare the K&N drop in? not better than the FRAM?
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:13 AM
Evolving Member

As far as filtration quality goes, the Fram takes the cake. The "performance" filters do flow better, but the that improved flow does not translate to any appreciable performance gain 99% of the time.

Let's say you got one car with a 500 HP engine, and another identical car except it has 300 HP. The car with 500 HP would be "faster", but what if you only needed to accelerate to 50 MPH in 20 seconds or less? In that case, either car would do and having 200 less HP does not in any way hinder the "slower" car...but the 500 HP car will use more fuel.

While the K&N or other performance filter will flow a higher CFM, both the performance and paper filter can flow the CFM of air required by the engine. The thing is that the performance filters will let a more dust and dirt into your engine while the paper filter will not.

I would estimate that the stock air box with paper filter is good to at least 350 WHP.

Last edited by SsZERO; Sep 10, 2006 at 02:18 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The HKS drop in isnt on that list.
Also, HKS resently changed their drop-in filter. It used to be called a HKS Super Drop-in, but now its called a HKS Super Hybrid Drop-in. Heres the desription, courtesy of LancerShop.com....

"The HKS hybrid panel air filter has a redesigned filter that houses 2 different types of elements to provide optimal air flow and cleaning. If you are running a stock air filter do your car a favor and buy this hybrid drop in panel filter. The hybrid is totally redesigned from the old school HKS drop in panel filter."

Not saying the info you posted is wrong or anything, just adding more info to the pile.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

this is prehistoric article but good info.
Iam curious on the ralliart filtration.
anyone?
Old Sep 10, 2006, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

u had to read an artical to know HKS doesnt filter well? have u actually seen one in person?
Old Sep 10, 2006, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SsZERO
As far as filtration quality goes, the Fram takes the cake. The "performance" filters do flow better, but the that improved flow does not translate to any appreciable performance gain 99% of the time.

Let's say you got one car with a 500 HP engine, and another identical car except it has 300 HP. The car with 500 HP would be "faster", but what if you only needed to accelerate to 50 MPH in 20 seconds or less? In that case, either car would do and having 200 less HP does not in any way hinder the "slower" car...but the 500 HP car will use more fuel.

While the K&N or other performance filter will flow a higher CFM, both the performance and paper filter can flow the CFM of air required by the engine. The thing is that the performance filters will let a more dust and dirt into your engine while the paper filter will not.

I would estimate that the stock air box with paper filter is good to at least 350 WHP.

I dont agree 100%..... What do you think the oil is good for on a K&N filter?

Oh and BTW: i have run two new K&N cone filters on my car and never had a issue with the oil messing up my MAF.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kf6ytc
u had to read an artical to know HKS doesnt filter well? have u actually seen one in person?
It really doesn't. There's been several threads about people finding dust in their in take pipes and various other parts.

Personally, I have seen the crap on the inside of my intake pipe (on the Sti) only after ~600miles.

I learned the hard way having bought a suction kit and cf heat shield for it.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kf6ytc
I provided a link to the article, which was a test performed by a Supra enthusiast a while ago, to support my post. It is an old post, but it is still valid today as the filters haven't really changed.

HKS does have a new "hybrid" element, but I think the main thing that changed was their marketing strategy...if I were going to bet some $$$ I'd say the new HKS element doesn't filter very well either.

It's not just HKS - most of the aftermarket filters don't do a great job at what their supposed to do, and that would be filtering.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

I've just been replacing my filter with the OEM replacement from mitsu. I really don't think a drop in could make that noticable of a difference.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SsZERO
I provided a link to the article, which was a test performed by a Supra enthusiast a while ago, to support my post. It is an old post, but it is still valid today as the filters haven't really changed.

HKS does have a new "hybrid" element, but I think the main thing that changed was their marketing strategy...if I were going to bet some $$$ I'd say the new HKS element doesn't filter very well either.

It's not just HKS - most of the aftermarket filters don't do a great job at what their supposed to do, and that would be filtering.

I have had both HKS drop-in (super & super hybrid) and I can tell you that they are indeed different. The old one had one layer of one type of foam, but the "Hybrid' one has two or three layers of different types of foam. Also, accroding to the dirt that collect in the filter, it seems like the "Hybrid" does filter more i.e. after 10K miles the "hybrid" filter had collected more dust & debrie then the super filter.

Again, not saying your info is wrong, just addin more info to the pile.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the link.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
repost.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
I have had both HKS drop-in (super & super hybrid) and I can tell you that they are indeed different. The old one had one layer of one type of foam, but the "Hybrid' one has two or three layers of different types of foam. Also, accroding to the dirt that collect in the filter, it seems like the "Hybrid" does filter more i.e. after 10K miles the "hybrid" filter had collected more dust & debrie then the super filter.

Again, not saying your info is wrong, just addin more info to the pile.

No doubt that it filters better, but the owner of the car can ultimately decide whether it's an acceptable filtration amount or not. I just wanted to share some info I found helpful for my own cars, and any additional info is always welcomed.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Definitely a repost. But still good to get that info out there nonetheless.

Quick Reply: Before you get an HKS air intake...