Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

HID Question's?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID Question's?

I have a 2005 GSR, they don't come with HID's and i wanted to upgrade to HID's had a few questions?

Would the easiest way be to just buy a HID Kit?, or would it be easier to buy a 2005 MR HID's? or 2003 HID's? like i'm not sure if the HID's come with the whole front light or does it come Separated? and since I already have blacked out front lights I don't want to change the whole light unit,

Also what would i want to stick around if i bought a kit? 6000k, 8000k or 10000k? don't want purple want more of the stock evo HID kit look,

and what are the factory bulb sizes? I haven't had the chance to look it up yet?

Also which HID kit is better? cause i've heard to stick with PHILIPS

and also how hard is it to install? Cause i read up alittle and heard the easiest way is to take off the front bumper, and don't really want to do that, would i be able to zip tie is somewhere in the engine bay?

Thanks
Old Sep 10, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

9006 hid kit get it from ebay for 230 dollars, then take the front bumper off and its direct bolt on 4300 and 6000k for best view 6000k and up will for show only cant see anything
Old Sep 10, 2006, 08:39 PM

just installed some hids, and i must say that its a world of difference
Old Sep 10, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't installed HIDs on an Evo, but have done it on plenty of other cars. You will definitely want a 4300K kit or 6000K at most from the sounds of it (6000K creates a bit of a violet looking light, but it doesn't shine violet on the ground - note violet not to be confused with purple from a 12000K/14000K kit).

When I get a chance (if I remember) I will take some pics as I have my Evo with stock HIDs, 4300K on my wife's Pilot (that I installed) and 6000K on my ol' beater Integra (that I installed). If you don't see any pics in the next couple days, PM me (busy week and I might forget).

All HID Installations that I have done have been relatively easy, but again, I have not done this on the Evo as it came with HIDs. As someone else mentioned, kits can be found on Ebay for $200 and up. The cheaper you go the more likely it was manufactured in China. The best thing to do is ask the seller plenty of questions (and hope they are honest).
Old Sep 10, 2006, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go with a ebay kit just buy better bulbs and it will last a lot longer. Ive heard mixed reviews about ebay hid's....some people have them for 3+ years with no burnouts and some people have them for a couple months with burnt out bulbs.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

What you can do, is buy rebased D2S bulbs. You will be able to use any OEM ballasts with those. It might cost a little bit more than those ebay kits, but it's well worth it.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:26 AM

I'm a bit more concerned about light pattern and cutoffs with aftermarket kits.

I've always been an advocate for true HID retrofits (OEM lenses/shields).

Does anyone have pics comparing an EVO with OEM HID's versus aftermarket HID kit?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:33 PM

If you want to do it right, get headlights from an EVO with HID's, a 9006 -> HID harness, bulbs and ballasts. You will have a bad cutoff and scatter light if you use HID bulbs with projectors made to use halogen.