Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Found a nice looking used Evo, but before I go get it tomorrow, is this smart?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would never buy a used EVO. too high of an "abused car" chance.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

I have an 03 (bby) with less than 14500 miles, I bought it new in April 04 with 3 miles on the OD; it has the sun roof option. It's parked for the winter and I hardly use it in the summer. So I was thinking about selling it but I cant make up my mind if I should.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For 22K you can buy one with 40k+ miles.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:32 AM
Account Disabled

whatever you need to do to check out the car, just do it before you take possession and drive it off the lot. Once you drive that car off the lot, then you are basically SOL.

Check this one out:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=212705

Same scenario: Used evo, great deal. Buyer even wrote in a 3-day inspection clause into the contract... well, u can read the rest.

Cheers.
Mike@ Mynes
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like to many miles on the car, price sounds pretty good. but ahhhh just doesnt sound right. i dont like messing with any high mileage sport car.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Wow...again, surprised by the random responses people come up with.

Where is it written in stone that an Evo is modded JUST because it has high mileage? There are people out there with Evo's who don't beat the hell out of them and drives a lot? I am one of them. I have nearly 50K on my car and have only driven it for two years.

Don't listen to these clowns...look into the car. CARFAX doesn't mean jack-crap if nothing is ever reported on it. My Evo was rear-ended, $4K in damage and it's CARFAX record is clean.
Take it to another dealer or shop and have it looked over. Even if it comes out of your pocket at least you'll have peace of mind.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Tell the dealer do to the milage you want to perform a compression check. The haggle them to drop the price 1-2k. Save for a stroker kit and have fun till then
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Wow! That's a heck of lot of miles. I have an 03 and it has 43,000. He must have driven that thing across country or lived in it.

I would for sure get a mechanic to look at it!

Kelly's Blue Book lists the value at $20,400 in excellent condition. I would assume the car isn't in perfect condition so it's probably more along the lines of $19 - $19.5.

Talk them down to $17.5 - $18.5 once you know for you sure want it.

Good luck....
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Bought both of ours used. But then agian they were check super through. Compression checks, TC's and Tranny's 100%. No Leaks no noises or weird smells. Used cars are fine man just make sure you check it out. 19k is a bit much for those miles but just try and talk them down a little.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

thats alot of money for such a high milage car. offer him like 15?.. i got my 03 with 38k miles for 18k (i know a very very good deal but the guy was desperate and needed to sell it.). i got mine off craigslist.com its private so be smart and know what to look for then you'll find a good deal... to me.. dealers are pieces of sh*t. i hate them soo much.. private party all the way . remember tho it isnt the ONLY evo out there. i just dont want you to get fu*ked. l8r man

- shane
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
i would never buy a used EVO. too high of an "abused car" chance.
coming from someone who doesnt even own an EVO
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Madwheel
As the title states, and as some know, I've been looking for the right deal on an Evo for quite some time now. Actually since a few months back I've been trying to find and Evo that hits the price points I'm looking for, but from a reliable dealer, not private.

you do realize that used dealer cars come from private owners......

sell your tc on the street, youll get more for it. and buy a car from an owner. you will save a grand or two. may get some mods(good or bad?) and be able to get the story on the car. people trade in cars because they have problems all the time. doesnt mean it does have problems.

what state are you in?

i think ttp-engineering (fl) is selling a white 03 that is exceptionally clean.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:31 PM

Honestly guys forget it lol...

I went there tonight and spent less than 2 minutes looking at it. The CF wing oxidized and basically lost all of the glossy finish, looking like there was dry milk all over the top... The shift boot was cut at the top, there was a boost gauge, and no vent sheild under the vent on the hood, so you could flat out see the entire manifold and turbo. Not only was this car somewhat modded, but it was done poorly. Combine that with high milage and I just said forget it lol.

I'm going to wait for a while before I consider it. I'm thinking of just keeping my tC and saving up for a new Evo X when they come out. My tC felt faster than all the Evos I drove so far so I'd hate to take a step back for now.

Thanks again for everyone's help!