Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Found a nice looking used Evo, but before I go get it tomorrow, is this smart?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a nice looking used Evo, but before I go get it tomorrow, is this smart?

As the title states, and as some know, I've been looking for the right deal on an Evo for quite some time now. Actually since a few months back I've been trying to find and Evo that hits the price points I'm looking for, but from a reliable dealer, not private.

Needless to say I found a 2003 Evo for $19k fom a dealer. The body is in perfect condition, as are the wheels and interior. The car is completely stock. The only downside is the higher mileage. 83k miles to be exact. On a stock Evo with this be a really bad thing. For the price of such a beautiful looking car it's just so hard to pass up. I've always loved Evos and I've always missed my 03 in Weightless White so I think this car could be my calling.

I have a like new AVC-R ready to go on it, so I can easily fix the boost tapering right away. I have extra BOVs too, both the HKS and TiAL. I know those didn't work to well with metering due to them being atmospheric, but I can always buy the recirc fitting. So what do you guys think? Is it finally time to get back to my most desired car haha?

BTW - I have a Scion now, and if I trade the car in and only put 500 down, my payments only go up $15 a month. Not a bad deal for the performance.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:01 AM

Just finished checking all the carfax stuff. Came back perfect. Not one error, other than a factory recall which I knew about
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Buy it and then do a 2.3L stroker or buildup the 2.0 then you have a new engine. For 19K I could think of alot of things after the sale I would do.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

dude please do a compression check......my used evo looked perfect as well witha great carfax. 3 days after I bought I did a compression check to find out the motor was blown....110 compression in cylinder #3. WEre you able to find out who the previous owner was? If so, contact him if you can and speak to this person about waht flashes, mods, if any.

Good lUck.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:12 AM

Just to give you a heads up...it says you are soon to drive an evo9, well they didnt make Evo IX in 2003, they were the VIIIs back then, maybe you should do a little more research on the car before you jump into it

Last edited by EvoIXMR06; Sep 11, 2006 at 12:17 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:19 AM

Like I said I've been looking for a new Evo for a while now. I owned an Evo 8 before and am well aware the 9s weren't out until the 06 model. I know about the exhaust differences from the older Evos to the newer ones. I know about the newer technology on the 4G63 compared to the older ones.

Please ignore that thing in my avatar area. I've been planning on buying a new one but lately it seems smarter financially to buy a used one and save the money.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 02:15 AM
Evolving Member

I would takeit to amechanic and get all that stuff checked out. And if your thinking you can afford it just cause it cost 15 more in payments a month think again. Ask anyone about general stuff. Its expensive to play race car.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tonz of fun
I would takeit to amechanic and get all that stuff checked out. And if your thinking you can afford it just cause it cost 15 more in payments a month think again. Ask anyone about general stuff. Its expensive to play race car.
^^True.

The payment might be only 15 bucks............But then comes high oct gas, Synthetic Oil, fluids, general wear and tear. When you have that much power.....stuff goes wrong....ask anyone here. If you think you can swing it if something breaks then get it you will love it!

But you have to Pay yo Play, thats the name of the game
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

If the car has that many miles on it, I can almost guarantee that it was modded at one point or another. The original owner probably took all of the mods off of it when he traded it in. Make sure you take it to a reputable shop and have them inspect it throughly before you buy it.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

I am sorry I know you miss your WW Evo but a Evo with 83k on it is way to damn high. The car could have been modded and then returned to stock before trading it in. I saw pictures of your scion and it looks bad ***. I would keep the scion for a while. Maybe you can save some more money up and put it towards the evo X? Just my .02
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
83k miles for 19k is crazy... Not worth it IMO. I bought my 03 a 1.5 years ago with 10k miles from Carmax for like 22k.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

actual value of that car with that mileage is about 14k dont do it to yourself pay an extra 2 or 3 k for a 30 k vehicle
Old Sep 11, 2006, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

I have a high mileage EVO, 71k to be exact. I purchased the car with only 4 miles on the odo. 83k isn't really that bad, these cars are very reliable as long as you maintain them correctly. As an example look at how many HIGH mileage DSM's are still running around to this day.

That being said I would take the car for a compresenive test drive. You don't have to beat on it, just listen for ANY abnormal noises coming from the trans & TC. Also take it on the highway, get in 5th gear and make sure the clutch isn't slipping. After your drive park the car and check for ANY leaks, espically around the bell housing area & headgasket... make sure you don't smell any coolant.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:10 AM

Thanks guys I really appreciate everyone's input. I'll be going to the dealer today to check everything out and see how it's running. They have another 03 with 30k miles on it for 24,900. That's a little high so if I can talk them down enough I'll probably just buy that one instead. Either way, I'll be test driving them to see how they run, and do a pretty thorough inspection. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

BTW - For "monthly" costs, in addition to the monthly payment... MY Scion actually makse 295whp and 302 wtq. I already have to take UBER care of this thing so I know what to expect with an Evo. As I've said I've owned one before so I have an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

Thanks again for everyone's help! Can't wait to be party of this community again (one day).

-Joe
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by joeymia
83k miles for 19k is crazy... Not worth it IMO. I bought my 03 a 1.5 years ago with 10k miles from Carmax for like 22k.
Wow! I just sold my 2003 with 28k on it for 22,300.00.