Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tanabe dp owners plz read...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanabe dp owners plz read...

I just installed my tbe a few days ago and whenever I go over decent sized bumps I hear a clunking noise from under the car. I'm guessing its the dp hitting the one of the tie bars. There's no touching or rattling during idle though, only on bumpy uneven roads. Does anyone else with this dp experience this? Also, would getting stronger exhaust hangers solve this? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Engine dampner works great for this.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shbomb8188
I just installed my tbe a few days ago and whenever I go over decent sized bumps I hear a clunking noise from under the car. I'm guessing its the dp hitting the one of the tie bars. There's no touching or rattling during idle though, only on bumpy uneven roads. Does anyone else with this dp experience this? Also, would getting stronger exhaust hangers solve this? Thanks in advance.
Did you notice bottom of your dp is touching the factory tie-bars? if so, you probably need to tighten the spring bolts a bit more. you should have at least 1/4" clearance space between the dp and factory tie-bars if you installed correctly.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

I would double check and see if you tighten the tie bars.
That is what happened to me. My Tanabe dp fits perfect with
no clearance issues.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

i checked and the dp does clear the tie bars. i'd say its about a quarter inch clearance from the tie bars. i was thinking maybe the stock hangers are causing the movement while driving over bumps so the dp would hit the tie bars. maybe getting some stronger exhaust hangers would help?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shbomb8188
i checked and the dp does clear the tie bars. i'd say its about a quarter inch clearance from the tie bars. i was thinking maybe the stock hangers are causing the movement while driving over bumps so the dp would hit the tie bars. maybe getting some stronger exhaust hangers would help?
I'm also running stock hangers, I also had that issue with the noise thinking it was
the dp that was hitting the tie bars. I found out later that the bolts for the tie bars was slight loose and was causing odd clunking noise from underneath the car. Won't hurt to get under and try tightening the bolts again.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpoonEvo
I'm also running stock hangers, I also had that issue with the noise thinking it was
the dp that was hitting the tie bars. I found out later that the bolts for the tie bars was slight loose and was causing odd clunking noise from underneath the car. Won't hurt to get under and try tightening the bolts again.
i guess i'll give that a try. thanks for your help.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

i recently switch over to the tanabe down pipe and helix test pipe too, a quick question are you running anything to correct the check engine light? like a O2 spacer from RRC or maybe a 02 Simulator. because i was running a O2 Spacer from Road Race and on hard corning and bumps i would hear a clunking noise. i didnt pay attention but on a redline event the car was blowing an engine fuse and wont start, later we found out that the O2 sensor shattered and kept grounding itself everytime we try to start the car. So that can be an issue to
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Take off the stock bar's and put this on.RMR Lower K Brace
The RMR Lower Control Arm Brace is a replacement for the 2 weak factory bars that spread across the front lower sub frame. Mitsubishi put braces there to help with handling under acceleration as the sub frame tends to spread. Our brace is stronger then the factory units giving more control and less chassis/sub frame. flex. Also, when installing any aftermarket down pipe, the removal of the factory units is a must. Our brace allows room for the larger aftermarket down pipes.

Last edited by ak47po; Mar 5, 2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

I have the dp and mine rattles sometimes. It usually doesnt when I take off hard(launch) or when downs shifting. It does not happen all the time.