Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Boost Gauge

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Gauge

First of all, I have searched and cant really find a thread that discusses my question. I am looking to buy a boost gauge for the car because it seems to be the most helpful mod in understanding if the car is behaving weird. The thing is I have seen on different For Sale threads people asking if it comes with a control unit that is also needed. My question is whether or not theres a general rule of thumb about which ones need the control unit and which dont? I only ask because I see some gauges going for a little over a 100, but I dont know if I should be assuming that it needs a control unit also (which wouldnt be provided) or maybe it doesnt need a control unit at all. I saw this on ebay and it states that no control unit is needed, but how would i have known unless it is clearly stated?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APEXi...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

go to 42nd draft designs and an sw gauge for around $60 and you will have everything you need make sure it comes w/ a tube you might have to buy that extra
Old Sep 11, 2006, 03:59 PM

I agree 42nd draft designs they do most of thier work for VW's but they have some great stuff for Evo's, I am using thier tubing kit. Any gauge will do but how long will it last. I have a Autometer just beacuse i've used them for years never gave me any problems. Just dont drop the gauge (i know). There are two kinds of gauges (correct if I am wrong) electrical and mechanical. Electrial is always going to cost more.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Most gauges won't need a control unit. The ones that commonly do are the Defi's and I believe Autometer's Nexus line.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:25 PM
Evolving Member

had an autometer in my dsm, worked great. never had any problems with it. now have the Defi BF series electrical and i love it. this does require the control unit. never heard of the Nexus ones. it was 300 shipped for the CU and the gauge. the extra features are peak hold function, record (up to 3 minutes, really helpful on track runs) and warning set. it beeps and a light pops on when you exceed the boost level you set for it. hooking up is easy as pie aslo
Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by occultworks
Most gauges won't need a control unit. The ones that commonly do are the Defi's and I believe Autometer's Nexus line.
Thanks. Thats pretty much what was confusing me....was figuring out how you know which ones need the control unit and which ones dont.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Mechanical guages just show exactly what is happening and thats all, that's why they're affordable. Electrical guages have the ability to record what happened in the past and replay, as well as alert you with lights and sounds. The control unit (Defi and Autometer Nexus) allows everything to be connected in one central area as well as change settings and perameters.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:21 AM

I am using a 45mm Omori. No control unit but it did come with a lighting module. I can mke it any color I want I bought it because it was small though.