Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rip

I have never posted here before, but i have been watching and learning for almost a year now. Too bad my first post is one of bad news.

I am based in Dubai, UAE, and i used to drive a 2003 USDM Evo VIII. Last wednesday, i was doing about 80 mph, taking an off ramp i know fairly well. Its about 9pm local time, and not too much traffic around. On this off ramp, a sweeping right hander, there's some major construction work happening, and two lanes merge into one in the middle of the corner. I have to tighten my line, as the apex has now moved, and the tail steps out. I try to catch it, but alas, its too little too late. I hit the Armco barrier head on, while i was sliding, and the car spins through 180 degrees.

I do have pics, but i am a noob, and as soon as someone helps me post them, you all can see them. (no flaming Please)

What i wanted to know was, how come the airbag didnt deploy? I had a test pipe on, but no CEL fix, so the CEL stayed on all the time. Could that have anything to do with it?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by helpme; Sep 12, 2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear about your wreck...as far as airbags being deployed:

Your Evo had only front airbags (no side curtain) so they would only be deployed in a frontend collision that is severe enough to required the secondary restraints. That is, you need to hit something in such a way that the car's decceleration is abrupt and close to being in line with the center line of the vehicle.

CEL would not affect airbag deployment, the SRS system has it's own computer and separate trouble codes.

A slide/spin/multiple glancing impacts as you describe would not generate the forces required to deploy the front airbags.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:16 AM

pictures

ok, i got some pics:

Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:20 AM

Avengerhead: After seeing the pics, do you not think that the airbags should have deployed?
Evolved Member

Wow, your original statement made me think that you hit tail first, however, the barriers still may have absorbed enough of your imact to not warrant airbag deployment...but I understand your concern, it does appear as though the vehicle suffered a massive front hit. Can you verify that the SRS system is working (light comes on at vehicle startup and goes away) and did your seatbelt retractors fire?
Evolving Member

Wow thats all I can say.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Looking closer, did you get a frontal offset or glancing frontal impact on the passenger side? I'm starting to think that the airbags probably should have deployed unless you damage was the result of hitting the front passenger side into something and having the car rotate and get torn up across to the driver's side (as opposed to a single, straight, impact)
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Jesus, I almost cried looking at that. That sucks and is surprising the air bags didnt come out. Glad to hear your alright though.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:26 AM

Avengerhead: The SRS lights worked fine on start-up, they would come on for a few seconds and then go out. Also after the accident, i removed the steering wheel to see if there was an airbag in there, and i can verify that it was. When i bought the car it had 15k miles on it, and it had been involved in an accident , but i only dtermined this subsequent to me purchasing the vehicle.

If any one has car fax, i can supply the chasis number, maybe we can find out the history that way?

About the seatbelt retractors, i dont know what those are, and if i had them or not. I was wearing my belt BTW.

I hit the barrier head on, but i was moving sideways at the time of the impact, if you understand what i mean.

Last edited by helpme; Sep 12, 2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Again, I'm really sorry to hear about your wreck and see the accident...the 'bags won't always deploy, it really has to be the "right" set of conditions...your wreck looks pretty terrible but I guess there's no cut-and-dry to when the SRS system will deploy.

You should probably trace the vehicle history through Carfax, that seems like a good idea.

As far as the retractors, my '04 shipped with information on an SRS system that fires a charge to retract the seatbelts when an airbag goes off...it's some kind of tensioner or pre-tensioner system design to restrain you quicker than waiting for the belt to lock-up.

I'm thinking that if the belt retractors fired and the 'bags didnt, the 'bags may have been faulty.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear that man...that looks bad...I dont think Carfax would give you information about cars sold outside the US...unless they were bought from the US to begin with...but after they leave the shores Carfax has no tracking of them

Waz
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 06MREvo
Jesus, I almost cried looking at that. That sucks and is surprising the air bags didnt come out. Glad to hear your alright though.
I felt the same way.

Glad you're ok since the car can definitely be replaced.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:55 AM

i just punched my vin number into car fax and it says that there are 7 records for this vehicle. The car is a US import to the UAE, hence the reports. Only thing is, i dont see the point in paying for a vehicle history that is going to be scrapped. Maybe someone on the board could help out?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

The unfortunate lesson "4x0=0"

There are 3 reasons I can think of regarding your airbag not deploying but you'll have to answer 3 questions first:

1) Were you wearing your seatbelt
2) Was your steering wheel turned (not between 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock)
3) Can you confirm your SRS system had not been tampered with
Old Sep 12, 2006, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

thats a horrible accident man... the only good of this is the fact that you came out ok.... cars are replacable not people...