Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

From DSM to Evo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From DSM to Evo

Hi guys! Well as the title might imply, i'm a former DSMer. I have a 95 Gst eclipse that finally breathed its last breath (at least for me) at around 146k miles. I got it when it had 30k miles and it has been a blast to drive and mod for the last 6yrs but after rebuilding the engine 2 times and then having the balance shaft break causing all kinds of problems i've decided to move on to bigger, better things.

This brings me to the evo. I've spent the last few weeks looking for a good Evo VIII (I live in Puerto Rico so there are alot of low milage cars here). I'd like to know if it would be worth transfering some of the mods I have on the Eclipse over to the Evo when I settle on one I like. The mods I want to possibly transfer over are:
HKS ssqv blow off valve (can i use the same flange thats on the eclipse?)
HKS EVC III electronic boost controller
Evo III GT ported Turbo with around 4k miles on it.
Boost gauge (in bar format)

Any advice would be appreciated since I'd do all the work myself. Also is that turbo mentioned above a better choice than the Evo's stock turbo?
Thanks for the help and I'm glad to be a member.

Last edited by 4G63Lvr; Sep 12, 2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the switchover, just like I did after 8++ years

Most people don't like the SSQV unless you have the recirc fitting. The flange.. it depends on what you have on the eclipse. If you have the adapter for the STOCK DSM piping, then it's the same. If it's an adapter for any type of hard piping, then you can't use it.

The EVC is nice, but not really necessary. It certainly won't hurt unless you can get some money back. I myself never saw the need of an EVC in my DSM, too complicated, when a MBC works wonders and is so much cheaper.

Your turbo......... won't work. It rotates in the wrong direction and won't bolt on. Still the stock Evo8 turbo is more than enough to crank 3-400 AWHP depending on how wild you get with your mods. All the "stage 1" packages of a TBE, MBC and a flash will net you close to 300 AWHP to start off with.

Keep the boost gauge, it's always the first mod to know how much your stock system is pushing.

A lot is almost identical to the DSMs, but there are some little quirks about the car that you need to be aware of differences. Do a few searches just before you decide to do anything and you can find some quick results.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah thanks for the reply! The reason I thought about swapping the EVC over was to maintain a stable constant boost which it did on my DSM (which used to have a tapering boost effect until I installed the EVC). Plus its nice to be able to mess with boost from the cockpit and on the fly while WOT. I know I used to save some gas on the eclipse by running 10psi while I was just daily driving and 16-17 psi when I raced it.

As for the Turbo...well i guess I can make some money back from it which will be nice. As for the blow off valve. Do the Evo stock blowoff valves have the same problems holding boost after a certain level just as the stock DSM ones all did?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2G DSM BOVs were the only ones that had problems holding boost, the 1Gs work a lot better. IMO I would sell the BOV unless you want the noise. I would try and save up for a Evo IX if you can much better response from simple mods vs. VIII.