Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Nor Cal Evo dealers won't sell Black MR at employee pricing..........

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The point is, they would make more money if they retail the car to a customer without the discount. So no they don't lose money, the lose revenue, which is just as important.

So they would rather make more profit on what they believe is a hot unit, just accept it as life and move on. Considering most Mitsu dealers are teetering on being out of business these days, I can't say I blame any of them for trying to make as much money as they can on each potential sale.

Wouldn't you?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PessimiStick
I bought my SE for 2250 under invoice via VIP pricing. There's no reason they can't do it, they are just trying to rape people. The discount is $2,250 flat on all Evo's, it applies to SE's as well.

Also, for the record, the MR version isn't even an SE technically, it's just an MR with a $500 appearance package. We all call it the SE because it has all the cosmetic features of the IX SE, but it's just an MR with options.

The dealer makes a *lot* on VIP sales. MMNA pays the dealer the $2,250 discount, and they still make the ~$600 holdback on the invoice price. Dealer makes just shy of 3 grand on a VIP sale.
Yeah I was told by MMNA that the dealerships dont get that money from the discount and honestly dont like selling for the vip price for that reason. But just like all the other info on this website, nothing is conclusive....

The black MR which was never offered before would be considered an SE which is why mitsu came out with an "SE" model lineup, appearence package or not. Anyway its rare and dealers will hold tight to them to make as much profit as they can....I know if I knew I could sell the car for a few grand over invoice or msrp later down the road or sell now for under invoice I wouldnt sell, I would hold on because you know someone out there next year will say I want a black MR SE and I will pay whatever I can to get it.....
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fireball
Huh!?! Where'd you get that?

You're definitely wrong here. The dealer doesn't profit on the VIP money at all!!

What happens, is with the VIP program, the dealer sells it $1700 below invoice (I think that's what the current program is), and then MMNA credits the dealer back the money, but that is just to level it out. It means that the dealer then sold it for invoice... which means very, very little profit on a car that is probably the #1 most demanded car right now.

If you won't pay the extra $300 or whatever, then you really don't want an Evo. $300 for a $37,500 car... some people amaze me...
You are mostly correct, and I'm not sure what kind of crack I was smoking earlier. =D

The discount is $2,250 for '06 Evos though, not $1,700.

They definately don't *lose* money though, despite whatever I was smoking in my first post.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just talked to MMNA......they were great and very helpful!!!!

In a nutshell......the 2250 dealer incentive on evos gets REIMBURSED back to the dealer.....so basically

Selling at invoice = Selling at VIP pricing as far as profit is concerned

He told me that they still make a bundle of money on the car and that they DO NOT HAVE to participate with VIP pricing. He basically told me that they can get MSRP for the car so they are not actually losing money as in no profit, but they are losing money as in not selling at MSRP.

So the dealer was telling me a half truth. I guess I can't blame them. On another note the guy at MMNA is getting a list of all the dealerships with black mr's on the lot for me and he is emailing it to me. I dont think I have ever talked to a nicer person on the phone EVER IN MY LIFE!!!!
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
Yeah I was told by MMNA that the dealerships dont get that money from the discount and honestly dont like selling for the vip price for that reason. But just like all the other info on this website, nothing is conclusive....

The black MR which was never offered before would be considered an SE which is why mitsu came out with an "SE" model lineup, appearence package or not. Anyway its rare and dealers will hold tight to them to make as much profit as they can....I know if I knew I could sell the car for a few grand over invoice or msrp later down the road or sell now for under invoice I wouldnt sell, I would hold on because you know someone out there next year will say I want a black MR SE and I will pay whatever I can to get it.....
I was high on stupid fumes earlier, they don't actually *make* the money off the discount, they just don't lose it.

I understand why they want to hold it and get more out of it, since Black MRs are exceptionally rare, but it's still not an SE. =p
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

I may seem cheap or whatever to some of you but I dont see why I should pay more for a car that MMNA says that I should be able to buy 2250 below invoice..........okay its a black one and its rare........its not like black paint costs more and its not like it comes with extra goodies te other evos dont have. All I am saying is that the dealers are willing to do the deals on other colors so why is black the only color they are being such tight asses about????

MMNA agrees with me and thats why they are sending me a list of dealers with black mrs that are willing to work with me.....so call me cheap or whatever I'm saving myself 2250 with one ten minute phone call.....im talking about 2250 not 300 dollars here.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

I have talked to 2 different people who work for mmna, and they have both been extrmely nice and helpful....eventhough some dealerships can be slimeballs atleast the corporation keeps a good name by having some great people working for them
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

from dealer's viewpoint , it is stupid not to make a sale just becoz of $300 more profit ,
when interest rate is this high for a decade , the salesman is costing the dealership money
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Just bought a Black MR at Mitsu Corp. Prices. As of 8-11-06 the deal went from $2250 to $1750. And the one i bought wasn't supposed to be released from the port in California until Dec. 2nd, but the manager at the dealership worked with his Mitsu Rep and they go tit to me earlier. Actually its at the dealer right now and i pick it up this Friday.

So holding on to them through the winter is probably pretty close to whats happeneing. (not sure who mentioned that. too lazy to go back and look).

Also they are not an SE. Just an MR w/appearance package. Although i call it an MR SE as its easier to say then MR with Appearance package, and its Black too.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:02 PM

Damn, I didn't know about this VIP pricing. No wonder I was able to get an MR (GG) for $2100 under invoice, but I really should have gotten $2250 under invoice!
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

why not just go down to south coast and buy it there?
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dzuest
As of 8-11-06 the deal went from $2250 to $1750.
I bought my car on August 27th and I got $2,250 under.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Yep the 2250 is good through 07.........and why should I have to drive 800 miles rountrip and waste two days when I can get a local deal for the same price under an hour???? Time is money and I am not looking forward to buying a brand new 35K car and driving it at 50 mph on the 5 from Socal to Norcal getting rockchips from all of the big rigs.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Oh and for all the haters I just found a local dealer willing to do employee pricing on a black mr that is still in customs. I'm going to put a deposit on it right now. I told them not to remove any plastic or anything and they agreed. They also agreed not to let anyone touch or sit in the car until the PDI which I will be sitting in the passenger seat for. So I guess a little homework goes a long way.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
Oh and for all the haters I just found a local dealer willing to do employee pricing on a black mr that is still in customs. I'm going to put a deposit on it right now. I told them not to remove any plastic or anything and they agreed. They also agreed not to let anyone touch or sit in the car until the PDI which I will be sitting in the passenger seat for. So I guess a little homework goes a long way.
Grats. =D

Quick Reply: Nor Cal Evo dealers won't sell Black MR at employee pricing..........