Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just got my JDM Evo 8 GSR

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2003, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The EVO8 must have cost like US$100,000 in your country right?
Old May 5, 2003, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

It used to be US$100,000 for the Evo 5 and 6 but the parallel importers are now bringing them in for around US$85,000. An M3 costs about US$188,00. A JDM STi is about US$82,000.
Old May 6, 2003, 01:06 AM
Evolving Member

crufty, i'll trade you my lancer es for your e8 gsr...........j/k...congrats on your new baby.
Old May 6, 2003, 01:45 AM

does your car have the SUper Ayc and ACD? and if so... have you noticed a difference between the new "super ayc" and the original one on the VII?
Old May 6, 2003, 04:56 AM
Evolving Member

Yes it comes with Super AYC and ACD but as I said I couldn't discern any difference; possibly it might be more obvious when the car is on the edge but I'm not prepared to do that just yet, what with it being a new car and all.
Old May 6, 2003, 06:22 AM

hey crufty...

I'm waiting for the Evo VIII to come out in my region.. wont happen until October, from having driven the VIII and the VII. Do you recommend waiting for the VIII or going with the VII?
Old May 6, 2003, 07:42 AM
Lee
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Crufty Dusty
Optional items would be the titanium turbo and sunroof. Most Evo's here are gray imports cos the distributor charges an obscene amount and their servicing is not exactly tip-top.
Crusty Dusty: nice buy, I'd say the E8 is more classy not as raw but none the less Evo performance still present.

Are you telling me your import dealer is optioned to fit a titanium turbo because I know its not a maker option.

T
Old May 6, 2003, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ashraf
hey crufty...

I'm waiting for the Evo VIII to come out in my region.. wont happen until October, from having driven the VIII and the VII. Do you recommend waiting for the VIII or going with the VII?
Well, it's hard to say. The 7 by itself is pretty darn good but the JDM 8 has a 6-speed which makes a big difference in terms of fuel economy. And the additional 7 liters allows you to drive more instead of wasting time at a gas station.

They're both great cars. I need more time with the 8 maybe then I'll be able to tell you more about their differences.
Old May 6, 2003, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Lee

Crusty Dusty: nice buy, I'd say the E8 is more classy not as raw but none the less Evo performance still present.

Are you telling me your import dealer is optioned to fit a titanium turbo because I know its not a maker option.

T
Yeah actually it's pretty common for GSRs here to be fitted with the titanium turbo. A local parallel importer's website.

(Standard disclaimers apply. URL provided for informational purposes only. I did not buy my car from them)
Old May 7, 2003, 12:55 AM
Lee
Evolving Member

Crusty Dusty: interesting how they state its a maker option, when its not available as such in Japan, you sure it's not a misprint? Not to start a **** fight mate, just clarifying as for the E7 the titanium turbo was only available for the RS model not the GSR, if the titanium turbo is indeed a maker option for the E8 GSR in other major markets it would come to everyone's attention.

Are these Evo source from the JDM or from MMC Japan themselves? If from MMC Japan it's maybe be a slightly different spec to the JDM, thus explains the small volume import and option perhaps. Similarly at the time the Australian delievered TME were not GSR spec but RS2.

Cheers
T
Old May 7, 2003, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Hi Lee,

I may be totally wrong on this but from what I know the parallel importers get their models from the JDM market. They buy the cars but they are not registered in Japan, then they get shipped directly to Singapore where they are stored at port facilities. When the buyer decides to purchase the car the importer pays customs duty and local taxes, and handles all the administrative work.

Only the local distributor gets their cars from MMC direct.
Old May 7, 2003, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

Crufty,
do you track your car? will you be at sepang on the 17th?
Old May 7, 2003, 01:12 AM
Lee
Evolving Member

Another interesting point you bring up there, your import laws must not be as strict as Australia (home) as import dealers can't import anything that is locally deleivered to protect a particular vehicle/models value.

How does the Govt control and local MMC Singapore dealer handle this?

If the import dealer would be underselling these Evo at slightly lower price I'd assume. I understand cars in Singapore/Malaysia are expensive but the Evo was indeed rather expensive last time I noticed on a business trip to Singapore.

T
Old May 7, 2003, 01:14 AM
Evolving Member

Crufty, how much did you pay for it in Sing$?? I'm guessing about $150k? Is that with COE? On an completely unrelated note, the weather here in Austin has been rainy and humid...made me very homesick Maybe when I get back to Singapore this summer you can give me a ride around town in it to cheer me up! J/k, but would love to see one when I go back though. Anyway, congrats on your car, will keep an eye out for it when I'm home.
Old May 7, 2003, 01:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 3171
Crufty,
do you track your car? will you be at sepang on the 17th?
Hi I've got zero track experience, need to work up some courage and get proper driving instruction before embarassing myself How is your car? IIRC you're driving a TME right? That's pretty hardcore Any new mods??

Quick Reply: Just got my JDM Evo 8 GSR