Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winterize my EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2006, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Store it wiht a full tank. It keeps the tank from forming condensation.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1.) Put on jackstands in garage.
2.) Remove entire suspension + front & rear subframes
3.) Remove all traces of rust (yes even new Evo's have underbody rust)
4.) Coat underbody and subframe with Por-15
5.) Re-assembly
6.) GO SNOWDRIFTING!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 07:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShiftySVT
What would lead you to the conclusion that fuel stabilizer is a bad idea? What do you suggest as an alternative? Drain the tank? Just let the gas get old?
Fuel stablizer is NOT gas. It changes the chemical makeup of the gas to prevent storage problems. To me, that sounds like something that would change either the octane or the efficiency of the gas. With how touchy our cars are with octane alone, that can't possibly be good.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
1.) Put on jackstands in garage.
2.) Remove entire suspension + front & rear subframes
3.) Remove all traces of rust (yes even new Evo's have underbody rust)
4.) Coat underbody and subframe with Por-15
5.) Re-assembly
6.) GO SNOWDRIFTING!

I would add snow tires to that formula
Old Sep 16, 2006, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

wtf guys?

when you start a car, you have 100+psi, and it idles down to 20 or so when warmed and hot.

I really don't know why you wouldn't drive it during winter, unless it's a track only kinda car that would snowplow so bad that it's dangerous (mine).

I'd do an oil change, fill it up, as you don't want the gas lines to freeze (water). I don't know about the fuel stabilizer, as its not gonna break down in a closed container in 60-90 days. The anti-water stuff is a good idea though.

Make sure your coolant is the right % for the temps you'll see.

Honestly, i'd do nothing special and drive it once a month to grab a burger or something. The roads are normally clear that often, and besides, you'll love to hop in it and have some fun
Old Sep 16, 2006, 08:41 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
I really don't know why you wouldn't drive it during winter, unless it's a track only kinda car that would snowplow so bad that it's dangerous (mine).
I won't be driving mine in the Winter. I plan to keep my RS for a very long time and don't want it to rust due to the salt on the roads. I really dread having to put it away.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I won't be driving mine in the Winter. I plan to keep my RS for a very long time and don't want it to rust due to the salt on the roads. I really dread having to put it away.
see, thats WHY i'd get an evo, is for the winter (when i lived up north).

you just have to take the time and wash it throughly every so often.

With all the crap on the bottom of the car, grease, rubber, etc, i can't see the evo rusting, but if you're worried, they've got stuff to cover it, etc.

I think you're gettin rid of one of the main positives of the evo, by not having it in winter. (to me, it makes as much sense as turning an evo in RWD only.)

But, alas, thats what beaters are for.

Ill still be tracking come dec/jan
Old Sep 16, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Here is how i do my winter storage on my cars...

Clean inside and out, polish and wax...
Put car on jackstands...
Fill engine to the valve covers with oil...
Pull spark plugs and fog the cylinders to prevent moisture corrosion...
Replace Plugs of course....
Disconnect battery or keep a trickle charger on it...
I usually keep them under a car cover in the Garage or at a storage unit..

Come summer, I drain all the fluids and crank it up, let it idle about 20 minutes to clear any engine fog out of the system (it will smoke a little), drop it back to the ground and put it back on the road for the season...

I do this with my RA and my Rockcrawler...
Old Sep 16, 2006, 08:59 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

see, thats WHY i'd get an evo, is for the winter (when i lived up north).
You'd eventually have to confront rust. That's the reality of it.

you just have to take the time and wash it throughly every so often.
That's a comforting thought in below-zero weather. I'd like to see you climb under the car to wash the salt off during one of our Winters, not that it would help much.

With all the crap on the bottom of the car, grease, rubber, etc, i can't see the evo rusting, but if you're worried, they've got stuff to cover it, etc.
Having lived in the snow belt for the bulk of my life, it's unfortunate that nothing really protects a vehicle from rust outside of not exposit it to road salt.

I think you're gettin rid of one of the main positives of the evo, by not having it in winter.
I agree, but that's the price I'm willing to pay for longevity.

But, alas, thats what beaters are for.
My Winter car isn't a beater.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
You'd eventually have to confront rust. That's the reality of it.

That's a comforting thought in below-zero weather. I'd like to see you climb under the car to wash the salt off during one of our Winters, not that it would help much.

Having lived in the snow belt for the bulk of my life, it's unfortunate that nothing really protects a vehicle from rust outside of not exposit it to road salt.

I agree, but that's the price I'm willing to pay for longevity.

My Winter car isn't a beater.
Haha man, i lived in indiana. Lake effect snow = us.

It's simple, drive to one of those outside washers, and clean.

I personally did the garage thing, and would clean it in there normally, unless i was at school. (again, this was on an rsx)

Snow and salt isn't on the road constantly, you get snow, it's crappy for a few days, then it's gone. Nowadays they're using more sand than anything. Regardless, cleaning and maintaining your car shouldn't be something you just do in the summer.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

i winterize mine and i put on jack stands, leave on empty gas (fill in the spring), drain radiator, disconnect battery and store the battery inside your house or basement
Old Sep 16, 2006, 09:23 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

It's simple, drive to one of those outside washers, and clean.
I don't mean to sound abrupt, but don't you think that those of us who live in this climate have investigated alternate solutions? Do you really think that people decide to store their cars, because going to "one of those outside washers" hadn't occurred to them?

Snow and salt isn't on the road constantly....
We have an almost constant snow presence from December until March, sometimes longer. Some years are better than others, but the roads get salted from the first snow on.

...you get snow, it's crappy for a few days, then it's gone.
Huh? What? In NY? Is this some kind of a joke? The snow is not the problem; it's the salt.

Nowadays they're using more sand than anything.
Salt is used here, which is why many folks in the area put their cars away. I thought that was clear.

Regardless, cleaning and maintaining your car shouldn't be something you just do in the summer.
No, really?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I don't mean to sound abrupt, but don't you think that those of us who live in this climate have investigated alternate solutions? Do you really think that people decide to store their cars, because going to "one of those outside washers" hadn't occurred to them?

We have an almost constant snow presence from December until March, sometimes longer. Some years are better than others, but the roads get salted from the first snow on.

Huh? What? In NY? Is this some kind of a joke? The snow is not the problem; it's the salt.

Salt is used here, which is why many folks in the area put their cars away. I thought that was clear.

No, really?
dude, yes theres snow on the ground, but it's not constant on the roads. I too grew up in the north, it's not a big deal. Nor with proper cleaning, did i have any rust issues. Sure fasteners were a little harder to get loose, but big whoop.

Sounds like you're too lazy to go washoff the car once a week or two.

regardless, back on the storing topic, since you guys don't wanna use the car for what it was made for.... (theres a reason they named the bottom button on the ACD, SNOW )
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:54 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

dude, yes theres snow on the ground, but it's not constant on the roads. I too grew up in the north, it's not a big deal. Nor with proper cleaning, did i have any rust issues. Sure fasteners were a little harder to get loose, but big whoop.
You had an Acura RSX - it wasn't old enough to exhibit serious rust issues. My GTI, for example, started to show (non-surface) rust after 13 years. Let's briefly review: in your own words you have shown that you have no clue as to the layer of salt that covers the roads in this part of the country. You have also displayed an unyielding lack of understanding as to the experience that leads folks to park their cars for the salt season. As such, do you really think that you're qualified to display a self-righteous position, when its inherent reach is limited by an apparent lack of comprehension?

Sounds like you're too lazy to go washoff the car once a week or two.
This is some of my detailing gear. You're right; I'm too lazy to wash my car.

regardless, back on the storing topic, since you guys don't wanna use the car for what it was made for.... (theres a reason they named the bottom button on the ACD, SNOW )
Folks who store their cars want to continue using and enjoying them for a longer time, hence the desire to keep them in one piece.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:08 AM

Start it and let it warm up once a month during the winter.

just my .02

Quick Reply: Winterize my EVO?