Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Winterize my EVO?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winterize my EVO?

Hello,

I just bought an EVO IX MR early this summer and I do not intent on driving the car in the winter and I am sure others do not either. I was wondering what kind of thing you do to winterize your EVO? If anything? Any assistance will be helpful! Thank you!
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

tires would be a start.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas stabilizer is pretty important.

Too bad you don't know how fun EVO's are in the winter.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

winterize an EVO gheyness... AWD snow drifts FTW
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

I would also put on other tires, and if they use salt to get the ice melted i will wash the rims every day with fresh water.

But -not- driving an evo in winter is a bit stupid It's a rally-car that's desinged to withstand worse things then a bit of cold and snow

I would not go and drive in a rally, but winter is a bit softy to let it in the garage
Old Sep 15, 2006, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

He's not driving it in the winter, so why would he need new tires? Anyways, I didn't drive my car all last winter. You'll be fine, just start it up every few weeks and move it forward/back a little so you don't get flat spots in the tires.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan628
He's not driving it in the winter, so why would he need new tires? Anyways, I didn't drive my car all last winter. You'll be fine, just start it up every few weeks and move it forward/back a little so you don't get flat spots in the tires.
wrong. this is a huge common misconception, starting it and letting it idle for a while or even idling it for >20 mins does NOTHING, u have to drive the car for atleast 30 minutes every once in a while at highway speeds to get FULL oil PSI. and then shut it down, starting it and letting it idle will do nothing beneficial it may actually be harmful. if u cant drive it at highway speeds occasionally than its BETTER not to start it at all to just let it idle, in that case, put it up on blocks, (with wheels and tires off), keep the tank full with gas stabilizer, and put in fresh oil. and leave it off.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dr. SS
wrong. this is a huge common misconception, starting it and letting it idle for a while or even idling it for >20 mins does NOTHING, u have to drive the car for atleast 30 minutes every once in a while at highway speeds to get FULL oil PSI. and then shut it down, starting it and letting it idle will do nothing beneficial it may actually be harmful. if u cant drive it at highway speeds occasionally than its BETTER not to start it at all to just let it idle, in that case, put it up on blocks, (with wheels and tires off), keep the tank full with gas stabilizer, and put in fresh oil. and leave it off.

How do you figure. Last i checked starting a car and reving it up will build full oil pressure. On any car with a oil pressure gauge you can see this.

Starting it up and leting it run for 15-20 minnutes will warm all the fluids and circulate oil and coolant. It will also top of the battery charge. Also rolling it forward or backwards a foot or so will help the tires. however most modern tires will not flat spot if their only sitting for 5-6 months.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

I never heard of this "common misconception" - I just start it and warm it up for a few minutes, mostly to charge the battery and get the fluids moving.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Don't forget the engine isn't the only thing full of fluids that needs lubrication. If you let your gearbox and differentials sit it's not good either. I would strongly suggest you drive it around the block every couple weeks just to work the fluids around.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

How long are we talking about storing it? If it's just 90-120days, the fuel stabilizer is probably not necessary. Just ensure that you park it with minimal fuel in the tank and that the fuel filler cap is sealed with several clicks.

With regard to the tires, it's not a bad idea to put it up on jackstands over the winter. I do not drive my S2000 for about 4 months out of the year. I have no issues with the fuel degrading or starting issues. But I do get flatspotted tires after 60 days or so. It's not a huge problem, but now I keep the car jacked up.

If you have the ability to do so, starting it up and driving it around the block a few times once a month is not a bad idea either.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

actually, the manual specifically states to not "rev" the engine during idle.... i let mine sit for a week or 2 at a time, then i drive it. sits ouside all year round.... damn wing is like a snake shedding its skin, lol
Old Sep 15, 2006, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

1) Top off your fuel tank and add fuel stabilizer. Drive it for a while so it mixes and has a chance to go through the entire fuel system.

2) Change the oil.

3) Wash and wax.

4) Put the car on jack-stands. I stored my SVT focus (on the ground) and the tires got bad flat spots that never went away. I can't see how taking your tires off is necessary, but it couldn't hurt either.

5) Unplug the battery. It's best to remove it completely, and use a trickle charger.

6) Remove the wiper blades. It helps the springs and rubber to stay fresh.

7) Leave a window or two cracked open.

8) Tell your insurance company to take off the collision coverage. Be prepared for the bank that's loaning you money to harass you about not having full coverage.

9) Don't start it up until spring. Letting it idle is pointless.

10) Some recommend changing the oil again in the spring. It's probably a good idea, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to throw away that much Mobile 1 with only a couple miles on it.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 02:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I can't believe how many people recommend gas stablizer....

With how touchy our fuel systems are, isn't that a REAL bad idea?

I'd figure that a tuned car with more performance than stock, could have serious issues with running a gas stablizer through it.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

What would lead you to the conclusion that fuel stabilizer is a bad idea? What do you suggest as an alternative? Drain the tank? Just let the gas get old?

Quick Reply: Winterize my EVO?