Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Poor power gain

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
valero people actually go there? i only use 76 unless i really need gas and there isnt one around then ill find a mobil or chevron if need be
Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kip
I had the following on my evo 9 (8K miles)

Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump
Sun Automotive Exhaust System - Evo Garage HRS Exhaust
Hallman Boost controller PRo RX KIT
Helix EVO 8 hight-flow cat 200 cell
HKS super hybrid panel filters
Tanabe Downpippe 2.75"
Boost Gauge & controller unit
FullRace Pro Stock turbo manifold

Before tuning: baseline on mustang dyno yield 228 ft lb torque, 262 whp. This is way too low on 91 octane.

After tuning it's putting roughly 260 ft-lb 260 whp.

We all expected 300+ wtq and 300+ whp after the tune and baseline should be around 270ish.

The tuner will do a leak test and put in a test pipe. He said it's almost certainly that because of the gas. The day before I was putting 91 from Valero. He said octane 91 at 76 station is totally different.

Is there any other possible reason for this disappointing numbers?
I feel your pain dude. Check out this thread I started in my local NorCal forum...

http://www.norcalevo.net/forum/index...c,12703.0.html

I'm running a similair setup on my '05 Evo VIII (you have MIVEC and I have 264/272 cams) and my numbers were also poor. We both should be between 280whp and 290whp on a Mustang dyno.

It's easier for all these interweb experts to point blame at the tuner even though they haven't seen the dyno plot, timing, AFR, EGT or anything remotely related to your tune. I would suggest making them backgound noise and working with your tuner to isolate what's holding you back. Believe me...your tuner wants nothing more than for you to be happy with your numbers and to recommend him to everybody you know.

BTW...I very much doubt it was the Valero gas but try a tank of 76 or Chevron before your next tune just to eliminate that as a variable.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rnm
91 octane and the high flow cat seem like the culprits for low power.
plenty of cars with those 2 "culprits" make the power they should.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

the cat sounds like your biggest problem, thats about ten hp there, and why are you running a 2.75 inch DP not three inch? i think that could be affecting a little bit to. And then theres the 91 octaine, just that alone is robbing you of probibly another 20 wheel. that adds up to about where you want to be.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KartaRailed
and why are you running a 2.75 inch DP not three inch? i think that could be affecting a little bit to.

Yes, 2.75 is only good for 400AWHP or so....
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:39 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by KartaRailed
the cat sounds like your biggest problem, thats about ten hp there, and why are you running a 2.75 inch DP not three inch? i think that could be affecting a little bit to. And then theres the 91 octaine, just that alone is robbing you of probibly another 20 wheel. that adds up to about where you want to be.
In California 91 octane is the best pump gas we can get. We also are subjected to $2500+ fines if caught without a catalytic converter. A 2.75" downpipe will not restrict power until well over 400hp. The original poster (I believe) is comparing his car's power to the power other comparably equipped Evos have put down. He's not comparing his numbers to a 400whp Evo running a GT35, meth, C16 and a test pipe. He's comparing it to other Evos running a 2.75" DP, 3" HFC and a 3" CB exhaust on 91 octane CA **** gas.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2.75 downpipe is not the problem. My friends have 8's that both put down 340+ on dynjots so no biggie there.

Definately need to do a boostleak test. Really need to see a good log of the car to see whats going on, but I doubt your tuner is going to show that.

Either way for us to adequately hunt down your problem barring boost leak is ok, we'd really need to see some info on a log.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2.75 is not the problem. did anyone notice he did not list a catback exhaust? THAT would be the problem... unless he has one that he didn't list.

if he does indeed have a catback i'll ask if the cat was see through when he installed it.

then i will ask what boost

then i will ask why his tuner said that knock was preventing him from making more power... was he hitting the knock threshold and then backed off the tune to compensate?

then i will ask if there was a dynofan

and i'll just throw in a what was used to tune for good measure.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:35 PM
Rnm
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DontRevMe
plenty of cars with those 2 "culprits" make the power they should.
Yeah, but they also don't use crap gas like Valero either, and the fact that high flow cats typically see about 10-15whp less than those with test pipes.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:16 PM
kip

Cool

I thought only octane ratings is what matter -- all the "california standard" 91 octane gas is the same. Obviously I'm wrong, what are other ratings on gas beside octane?

Tuner sorted the problem out. He's a really nice hardworking guy. It's really the gas and cat that is causing the problem. It's putting down 298whp and 308wtq on a "conservative" tune now -- mustang dyno and 91 octane at from 76. I'm happy like hell. The torque curve is fat. Just test drove and I love it so much. Evo is such an amazing car!
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

I am not sure of the other ratings but most of the tuners suggest that you only get gas from the big national brands(exxon, shell, sunoco, etc...)
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by kip
I thought only octane ratings is what matter -- all the "california standard" 91 octane gas is the same. Obviously I'm wrong, what are other ratings on gas beside octane?

Tuner sorted the problem out. He's a really nice hardworking guy. It's really the gas and cat that is causing the problem. It's putting down 298whp and 308wtq on a "conservative" tune now -- mustang dyno and 91 octane at from 76. I'm happy like hell. The torque curve is fat. Just test drove and I love it so much. Evo is such an amazing car!
Glad to hear kip. I replaced the HFC with a test pipe today also. I go in for a fresh tune Thursday morning.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

man it must suck with 91 octane we here have 93 octane minimum and 94 if you know where to look....
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOIXMR8916
man it must suck with 91 octane we here have 93 octane minimum and 94 if you know where to look....
Yes it does. That's why I've been running a water injection system on my last 2 turbo cars. Our California 91 octane has been even tested to be lower in octane than advertised.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by kreionic
I am not sure of the other ratings but most of the tuners suggest that you only get gas from the big national brands(exxon, shell, sunoco, etc...)
+1

Vishnu only recommends 76

Also, I once read this thread where someone in CA dynoed owith Chevron and the next day dynoed with 76. No changes to the car and similar weather, and the 76 dyno pull had like 10 more HP & TQ. If you look around, you'll find the thread.

76 is always my first choise. If I cant find it then Ill get Shell or Chevron (lol) and nothing else.