Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Get tuned at Devo Tuning or AMS?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get tuned at Devo Tuning or AMS?

I posted this in the tuning forum but I am not getting much feedback, I appreciate everyones opinion, here is my situation.

I am totally stumped... Devo tuning who has installed all my aftermarket parts so far has been nothing but nice and did a great job, very affordable and all, AMS has amazing products years of experience and a dyno.

My current mods:
full tbe
hks rs intake
walbro 255lpb fuel pump
arp headstuds
AMS FMIC
and I am having whoever is going to be tuning the car put in hks 272s, hks cam gears, hks timing belt, and an upgraded BOV

With these mods is there anything very different that one of these shops will do or be able to do that the other wont?

Devo Tuning custom tune price: $200

AMS custom tune price $495.00

I am looking for pros and cons here of going to one rather than the other. What exactly will one do or not do for me that the other will?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jimithing60089
I posted this in the tuning forum but I am not getting much feedback, I appreciate everyones opinion, here is my situation.

I am totally stumped... Devo tuning who has installed all my aftermarket parts so far has been nothing but nice and did a great job, very affordable and all, AMS has amazing products years of experience and a dyno.

My current mods:
full tbe
hks rs intake
walbro 255lpb fuel pump
arp headstuds
AMS FMIC
and I am having whoever is going to be tuning the car put in hks 272s, hks cam gears, hks timing belt, and an upgraded BOV

With these mods is there anything very different that one of these shops will do or be able to do that the other wont?

I am looking for pros and cons here of going to one rather than the other. What exactly will one do or not do for me that the other will?

Devo Tuning All the Way =D
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:23 PM

yeah

Yeah I totally plan on Adam tuning the car, I am just trying to get some feedback on what AMS does that is better or makes it cost so much more.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

My current mods:
full tbe
hks rs intake
walbro 255lpb fuel pump
arp headstuds
AMS FMIC

I went over this with someone the other day. If you want it done right the first time take it to ams. Why because they dyno the car why they tune vs a street tune. This is the reason why ams is always booked when it comes to tuneing cars there is always a 1-3 week wait on tunes.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I totally plan on Adam tuning the car, I am just trying to get some feedback on what AMS does that is better or makes it cost so much more.

I can't say anything about Adam at Devo since I have not been to his shop. Do they have a dyno? When I bought my Evo though, I knew where it was going already.

AMS has proven themselves over and over agan, which is enough in my book. They thoroughly inspect my car ( and all others) prior to going into the shop for any damage. A major plus considering when I had my Honda at a local shop they got over spray on it. They also build some wonderful cars.

It's all preference. Good luck with your choice.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:33 PM

The few responces I get about the AMS tune they all are simple statements like, if you want it done right, or because so and so and what not, I am looking for technical things that they are doing that devo wouldnt or cannot do, things that AMS is doing differently or better and its better, what is so right about the AMS tune and what would be wrong with the DEVO tune? I hope this clarify's the answer that I am looking for.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You get what you pay for....................AMS all the way!
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

The few responces I get about the AMS tune they all are simple statements like, if you want it done right, or because so and so and what not, I am looking for technical things that they are doing that devo wouldnt or cannot do, things that AMS is doing differently or better and its better, what is so right about the AMS tune and what would be wrong with the DEVO tune? I hope this clarify's the answer that I am looking for.

Don't the vehicles that come out of their shop speak for themselves?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:40 PM

What am I getting from AMS by paying $300 more? This is what I am trying to figure out, if anyone could tell me the answer that would be amazing.....since nobody has been able to yet. Believe me I want to go to AMS and if money was no object I wouldn't even be asking these questions because you are right they are very well proven and they are an amazing shop, but I am on the unfortunate end of the stick where I dont have tons of cash, I work really hard for my money and if I can save money and not sacrifice anything then I am going to really try hard to do that.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

hey .. adam helped me tune my car i ran a 11.7 @121 on pump gas when i get my bigger turbo on there we will be the fastest evo IX in the U.s
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:46 PM

I know adam is really good at what he does that is why I have gotten all my stuff done by him so far, I am just trying to find out if I am missing out on something that AMS is offering with there more expensive tune.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What am I getting from AMS by paying $300 more? This is what I am trying to figure out, if anyone could tell me the answer that would be amazing.....since nobody has been able to yet. Believe me I want to go to AMS and if money was no object I wouldn't even be asking these questions because you are right they are very well proven and they are an amazing shop, but I am on the unfortunate end of the stick where I dont have tons of cash, I work really hard for my money and if I can save money and not sacrifice anything then I am going to really try hard to do that.
If you save up to get the tune from AMS, you will save the money in the long run, as they will be "spot-on" with a SOLID tune!! It will be well worth it, trust me.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:47 PM

So far the only thing I can think of is that AMS has a dyno and I get a readout of how much HP I put out.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

So far the only thing I can think of is that AMS has a dyno and I get a readout of how much HP I put out.

i think we can arrange u to get a dyno tune by us...

we can go to P&L get some dynotime and what not and tune it for u.. itll cost extra
Old Sep 16, 2006, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LancerevoIX2006
i think we can arrange u to get a dyno tune by us...

we can go to P&L get some dynotime and what not and tune it for u.. itll cost extra

About the same as AMS now, huh?

Quick Reply: Get tuned at Devo Tuning or AMS?