Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What is up with my 05 MR? Please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is up with my 05 MR? Please help!!!

Ok heres my situation. I have a 2005 MR that is practically stock besides a full exhaust system, and a JDM MR bypass valve. (Manifold, O2 housing, downpipe, cat delete, catback exhaust) I recently started ordering some performance parts for my car to raise the performance of my engine such as 272 HKS cams, Hallman pro kit boost controller, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, turbo trix reflashed ECU, and some Stewart Warner gauges with a Creg Hartey (spelling?) gauge panel. So today I decided to take my modification process on kind of a light mode and do the gauges first. So after I get all of the gauges installed I take my car out for a drive and look down at my boost gauge which is now in psi instead of bar and it read 13psi at peak boost? So obviously I'm freaking out because I thought that the stock Evo 8 and MR came with 19psi stock, and I was planning on running 21psi with my mods. So what could be causing this problem. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

could be a leak to the boost gauge
Old Sep 16, 2006, 10:57 PM

where on the turbo system did you install the boost reader?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by evo/X
where on the turbo system did you install the boost reader?
Well what I did was I ordered my stewart warner boost gauge from 42draftdesigns.com and with the gauge I got there kit to make the install easy. So I followed the line from my stock MR boost gauge to a T-fitting that had a line going to the intake manifold. So I unhooked the stock t-fitting replaced it with my new one that came with the kit. So basically where Mitsubishi had the stock boost gauge ran to.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by sl0ev0
could be a leak to the boost gauge
See thing is I dont have the MBC even installed yet!! Thats why I'm like WTF?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the lines to the boost solenoid.

It they aren't disconnected or loose, than try to tighten all the clamps to the piping, from the tb all the way to the turbo-outlet.

If this doesn't work, then do a boost leak test.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 3K
Check the lines to the boost solenoid.

It they aren't disconnected or loose, than try to tighten all the clamps to the piping, from the tb all the way to the turbo-outlet.

If this doesn't work, then do a boost leak test.
Ok, I will do that. Thanks for the advice. Now correct me if Im wrong but isnt the 05 MR's stock boost supposed to be 19psi?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock boost for 05s is 20.3psi peak at 3500rpm tapering to 17psi by 6500rpm. What I don't understand is why you're so shocked and worried when you have had a gauge this whole time. Weren't you looking at it when it was reading bar? If you only planned to run 21psi, why did you buy an aftermarket boost gauge when the stocker goes up to 21.75psi?

What was your stock gauge reading in bar before you installed the new one? Did you buy your MR used?

Last edited by Warrtalon; Sep 17, 2006 at 09:47 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

From what I'm reading you replaced the OEM t-fitting that was on the line from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold and you ran the line back inside to the cabin? You may have pinched off the line somewhere in your install. Re-check to see if the vacuum hose going into the cabin isn't kinked somewhere.