Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Clutch gone already???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2006, 05:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch is def. gone

go buy the ACT HD or if you a big baller go get the EXEDY tripple carbon clutch kit.. I heard that things is indestructible..
Old Sep 17, 2006, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Redline06
go buy the ACT HD or if you a big baller go get the EXEDY tripple carbon clutch kit.. I heard that things is indestructible..
Money isn't really an issue. The issue is explaining how much I just spent on a clutch to the better half.

I want to make sure I get a good clutch, but not spend too much. I would like to try to keep it around a grand, but if I have to spend more, then so be it. I also need to find one that drives as close to stock as possible.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

really depends on how much you race the car and how far are you going to go with mods...

If your looking at spending a G go with the Exedy stage 1,might as well do the SS clutch line as well.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't feel bad I just replaced my clutch! And I only have about 5000 miles on my 06 evo_9....It was sliping around 3k 4k,,,I went and installed a ACT-HDSS///
Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
When I said roasted the clutch it definitely meant it was burning and it REAKED!! Their weren't any bad noises or anything that lead me to believe their was any damage to anything important. I just definitely smelled clutch. I launch by holding the throttle open enough to reach the RPM I'm looking for and let off the clutch slowly until the light drops and I'm just about all the way off the clutch by then.

Trying to launch it at around 5K, even letting off the throttle still netted me burning the clutch. It absolutely would not grab past like 2500.

34Turbo, I've heard of it, but have no idea what the 2-step launch is. I remember reading a few things mentioning it on EvoM, but never really searched for what it is and where/how to get it.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

depending on power, i've always wanted to do a little bit of overkill on the clutch. That way, you know that it will last a while. So, if i were you, i'd probably go with an exedy twin plate. it's great for street use, and it will definitely last you a while. good luck!
Old Sep 17, 2006, 08:24 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ant_turbo
Don't feel bad I just replaced my clutch! And I only have about 5000 miles on my 06 evo_9....It was sliping around 3k 4k,,,I went and installed a ACT-HDSS///
How did you kill your clutch so fast?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you still have your restrictor pill in? take it out to save the clutch(when you replace it)since it's just there to prevent drivetrain damage when someone dumps it. obviously, you know to slip on the launch and the pill will make it slip more than you want. but is it does slip in first, don't stay in it through the other gears, what's the point? if it didn't grab in 1st, what makes you think it will grab with more load on it in the higher gears?
http://evomoto.com/tech_info.php?tPa...4fc057958aa8e6
Old Sep 17, 2006, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ant_turbo
As of right now I have 3600 miles on my car. I've had it since the beginning of March. How do you like the ACT clutch?? Did you get the lighter flywheel to go along with it??

As far as power goes for my car, I might get a different O2 housing, and when more of a variety of cams are available I'll get a set. Other than that, I won't be going with to much more power adders....if any more.

I want to get my clutch ordered tonight so it can ship out tomorrow. So, I gotta get my research done and make a choice.

Last edited by SRTRaceR04; Sep 17, 2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well learning how to launch and 3 weeks at the 1/8 (every Tursday)
Originally Posted by FJF
How did you kill your clutch so fast?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

No just got the clutch no flywheel,,,,Well besides the stiffer clutch pedal I guess you have to get use to it!! But it feels way better....
Originally Posted by SRTRaceR04
As of right now I have 3600 miles on my car. I've had it since the beginning of March. How do you like the ACT clutch?? Did you get the lighter flywheel to go along with it??

As far as power goes for my car, I might get a different O2 housing, and when more of a variety of cams are available I'll get a set. Other than that, I won't be going with to much more power adders....if any more.

I want to get my clutch ordered tonight so it can ship out tomorrow. So, I gotta get my research done and make a choice.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

What's the best price on the Exedy Stage 1 or the ACT HDSS??
Old Sep 17, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, I think I'm gonna go with:

Exedy Stage 2 Cerametallic Clutch + ACT streetlite flywheel Combo- 862.12 shipped!

That's the price from ImportImageOnline.com posted on EvoM. My few questions to anyone is:

Are they reputable??

This should definitely be a good setup for someone reaching max like 350-360WHP and close to that in TQ??

And, will it be close to stock as far as drivability goes??

Looking to order soon, so trying to make up my mind!!!

Old Aug 17, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

you usually dont get good launches under 5 k =\
Old Aug 17, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like a decent deal. a lot of people have good success with using the ebrake to help launch... it really helps keep stress of the drivetrain.

what 60' times were you pulling?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

LEARN HOW TO DRIVE!!!! NOOB!

25K .. Stock clutch... basic mods and many, many, many launches and mine holds just fine.

Quick Reply: Clutch gone already???