Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stability of Mitsubishi ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:43 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since when was owning an Evo an investment?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Rod Munch]Off-thread: If you need to convince her to "let" you buy a car, you might want to think a bit more about what kind of marriage you're getting into. At most it should be a mutual decision, not a question of "permission."
QUOTE]

+ a billion
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icedomin8r
Have you seen how nice the Diamond series HDTV are that Mitsu makes? They arnt going anywhere any time soon.
Have you tried their smoked fish filets? Yes, I have purchased Mitsubishi brand canned smoked fish in sunflower oil and it was tasty. Diversify!

My girlfriend wasn't jazzed about the evo, but fortunately I was born with *********...
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Since when was owning an Evo an investment?
It may not be an investment, but its a good depreciating accet.

Talk to your to be wife man, because if she is going to daddy for stuff like this then you gotz yourself a whole world of other problems.

Think of the whole company of Mitsubishi as being a car. Now picture the door handle on that car, thats MMNA (Mitsubishi Motors of North America). MMNA is here to stay.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ha, ha - Mitsubishi in trouble?

Ask your future father in law what he thiks of Ford, or if he owns one (as in Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Jag, Aston, Volvo, Mazda). They just recently "forced" Bill Ford to step down as the man in charge, they are trying to cut 600 dealers, have had their stock cut beyond junk rating and are even considering alliance talks with Renault or GM!

But that doesn't really matter. If you want the car buy it. I think Mitsu going under is the least of your worries if you let your fiance's dad influence you in that way.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by icedomin8r
Have you seen how nice the Diamond series HDTV are that Mitsu makes? They arnt going anywhere any time soon.
What are you talking about? Mitsubishi as a company will never going to go under anytime soon. MMNA has nothing to do with the new HDTV that Mitsubishi Electric put out. MMNA stands for Mitsubishi Motors of North America which is the only aspect of Mitsubishi that might go under if it ever does. Mitsubishi Electric is very large in itself and was around much longer than Mitsubishi Motors. Let's say Mitsubishi Motors went under, Mitsubishi Electric would still be around because the company decided they would just get out of the auotmotive industry. Even if MMNA went under the market is much larger for Mitsubishi Motors in the rest of the world.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

You have to approach the source of the issue - father in law. If you can convince him why you want the Evo and it's the appropriate car for you, she'll simply succumb to his decision.

Learn to fight fire with fire.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolving Member

Ha Ha. It was my wife's idea to go to the Mitsu dealer and get an Evo. Not only that, I bought a second one without any objection! A real woman takes care of her man and knows what will make them happy. It makes life easier on them. Sounds like you got some talkin to do with your chic.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Off-forum: As a husband-to-be myself, I agree with a lot of these guys that once you're married, it's important that your wife cuts emotional dependence ties with her parents and forges new ones with you. In-laws are the #3 divorce-causing issue in marriages not because they are annoying, but because one or both of the spouses are still enmeshed with their parents and it disrupts the marital relationship. That said, it sounds to me like your future father-in-law knows something about cars and is trying to help you and your fiancee start off on a good financial foot. I think his intentions are good, and whether he's right or wrong, he's probably the second most important man to your fiancee, so you must preserve the relationship. It takes way more "*********" to control your anger and work through a disagreement in a way that preserves a relationship than it does to just say "screw it" and buy the car. A real man has enough self-control to work it out than to "pick up a new girl in a new evo."

On forum: Mitsubishi has been doing a lot better lately and looks to continue to improve. Even though they're still a little weak, they're by no means in the same boat as GM. And like the others have been saying, MMNA is such a small part of the company, it's doubtful that MMNA's losses would constitute the larger comapny from cutting it loose. But the good news is, you're looking at everything to figure out what's best for you and your wife, and that's commendable.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DSMEVOLUTION
MMNA has nothing to do with the new HDTV that Mitsubishi Electric put out.
That is true, however, MHI (Mitsubishi Heavy Industries) which spun off MMC (Mitsubishi Motors Corp) in 1970 is now in direct control of them again and one of its biggest stockholders. Although it is still probably possible for them to cut MMC off and let it die if it started to go south, it probably won't happen. MMNA (Mitsubishi Motors North America) is a 100% owned subsidary of MMC. MHI owns about 15% (I think) of MMC. Other Mitsubishi group companies own a lot of it, but the vast majority is private stock holders and other companies.

The thing is, sales in the US are very flat, and the Normal plant is in danger beause of poor utilization. Galant and Endeavor sales are poor. The 4G Eclipse is just okay. But overseas, things are muhc different. They are running over capacity because the Outlander, Colt and Grandis are smash hits. I think I remember reading their sales were up 40% over last year in Japan. They are doing well in Europe too.

Last edited by GPTourer; Sep 18, 2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

What the hell was that noise??? Oh, just the whip cracking

If you can afford it just go buy the damn thing. Who's making the payments, you or daddy??
Old Sep 18, 2006, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Mitsubishi is the largest manufacturing corporation in japan. They will not let thier car manufacturing business go down under just because of a few bad years in america. They didn't let it go bankrupt 2 years ago when it was really bad and they won't let it go now that things are improving.

If there are any brands that are in danger of extinction, it would be some of the GM brands such as SAAB or pontiac
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Wink

Get her and father in law into EVO and see what thier comment.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 01:38 AM
Pocket Mo

Originally Posted by Ang Wen Yan
Get her and father in law into EVO and see what thier comment.
Sure, drive like a madman with his father-in-law to be in the car and I'm 100% sure he'll approve their marriage. "My son-in-law drives like a douchebag flooring it whenever he gets the chance with my daughter in the car. I can't wait till I'm planning their funerals."

I've also been engaged for 2 years and it took some time to convince my fiance why I wanted to buy the evo. Sure it's expensive considering the interior and I could've bought a 3 series like my fiance for a little more, yea an engine from the evo and an engine from a geo metro looks the same to her (an engine is an engine), but I sat down with my fiance and went over the reasons for making my decision. It's a car I've wanted ever since I was 12, I love the front end of the IX while I didn't really like the VIII's, the new X that's coming out looks like straight crap and this is an opportunity for me to purchase, in my mind, one of the nicest looking evos to be made, etc. I also took the time to speak with her parents and reassure them that I will drive with the utmost care and as safely as possible while she's in the car.

"I love your daughter and I have absolutely no intention to send her to an early grave because I feel like pushing the car to its limits on public roads."

Many good things can come about when you just sit down and talk to people. It also shows her father that you're responsbile, mature, and know how to deal with things like a grown man. Good luck with the evo, I'm sure you'll love it.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RoBear
Off-forum: As a husband-to-be myself, I agree with a lot of these guys that once you're married, it's important that your wife cuts emotional dependence ties with her parents and forges new ones with you. In-laws are the #3 divorce-causing issue in marriages not because they are annoying, but because one or both of the spouses are still enmeshed with their parents and it disrupts the marital relationship. That said, it sounds to me like your future father-in-law knows something about cars and is trying to help you and your fiancee start off on a good financial foot. I think his intentions are good, and whether he's right or wrong, he's probably the second most important man to your fiancee, so you must preserve the relationship. It takes way more "*********" to control your anger and work through a disagreement in a way that preserves a relationship than it does to just say "screw it" and buy the car. A real man has enough self-control to work it out than to "pick up a new girl in a new evo."
Well said...

If your buyin an evo just cause you want something fast and still feel young and somewhat free I say don't do it unless, your hardcore into tracking the car and want this as your hobby. Otherwise, use the money for something nice and fast...like an Audi S4 or the new BMW 335i.

And to the single folks...take this as a lesson...buy your "silly toys" before your married or soon to be engaged!!!!!!!!