Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Stability of Mitsubishi ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stability of Mitsubishi ?

For the past year I've discussed getting an EVO with my fiance. Her dad is a VP of an insurance company that insures car dealerships. Because of this, my fiance automatically believes everything her dad has to say about car companies, not matter what I have to say. So she asks her dad how good Mitsubishi is, and he tells her the company is one edge, about to be bankrupt, and I would be a fool to buy an EVO because in X years it will be worth nothing. Because of this comment this is no if/and/or/but that I can do to convince her to let me buy an Evo.

So I'm wondering where I can find information to either argue for or against this claim so it doesn't seem like a me vs. him thing, more of a fact vs. opinion thing. I know a few years ago Mitsubishi was the only Japan Motor company not to make a profit but I don't know where they stand anymore.

Thanks.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Why would it be worth nothing? It's a semi-rare high-performance car, and atm they have excellent resale value. Mitz's overall health will have very little impact on the residual value of an Evo.

That said, cars are a horrible investment anyway, you lose a ton of money just owning one, so don't worry about it too much. Also, do you plan on selling it? I'm not selling mine ever, so any loss of value it may suffer is 100% irrelevant.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

Why do you have to convince her. Just go buy the car and tell her this is what i want and your not making the payment so dont worry about it.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

If Mitsu wasn't making money why would they still be in biz? Its common practice to show a loss every year. Hell Microsoft by the book is "losing" money
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

just buy the car and tell her "if you dont like it, then dont marry me"? haha....
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Have you seen how nice the Diamond series HDTV are that Mitsu makes? They arnt going anywhere any time soon.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

hahaha IM glad my Fiance isint that ignorant.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

mitsu was VERY close to being kaput! but the made it back out of negative and back to profitability... they post their earnings and its public info... just do a little research and u'll see what i'm talking about
Old Sep 18, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ksuchewie
convince her to let me buy an Evo.
Off-thread: If you need to convince her to "let" you buy a car, you might want to think a bit more about what kind of marriage you're getting into. At most it should be a mutual decision, not a question of "permission."

On-thread: People have been saying this about Mitsubishi for the last [X] years. Back when the Evo 8 debuted here in 2003, four years ago, they were saying the company was doomed in this country.

I would not hold my breath. Just get the car you want.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

if you plan on keeping the car 5+ years (which i'm sure you will, since the wedding/house/kids soon to come will prevent a new car for awhile) the resale value isn't going to be real significant anyways.

More importantly, its time she stops running to daddy for support and starts dealing with issues within the relationship. If her only argument is you can't because her father doesn't like it, then you may have more serious things to talk about.

Worse comes to worst, pick up a new chick in a new evo
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:10 PM

The value of the car doesn't become $0 just because the company is gone. It still retains value, and in some cases actually goes up because it is rare.

In any case, it's very unlikely Mitsubishi will just suddenly disappear. If things are bad enough, someone else will most likely buy up the assets and quite likely will continue selling the cars and support.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

P.S. Explain how the Evo IX is a one-year only car: 2006 models only, maybe 5,500 - 7,500 (I'm guessing) sold in this country. Therefore, it is a very rare and valuable and collectible car.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

poor thing , there re even more luxury cars companies on edge more than Mitsu
says Jag , Land Rover ,maserati and in the past , Audi , Ferrari , Lambo , Rolls R, Aston ,Lotus
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Based off what your girl's father just said, he seems like an idiot. A car doesnt lose its value like that just because the company goes under. The EVO is a rare sports car.

Secondly, Mitsubishi has been doing MUCH MUCH better in 2006. Theyre sales have been up consistenly and they even had one of their best months in years this summer.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Trojan man

More importantly, its time she stops running to daddy for support and starts dealing with issues within the relationship. If her only argument is you can't because her father doesn't like it, then you may have more serious things to talk about.

Worse comes to worst, pick up a new chick in a new evo
Well said sir... well said.