Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Close to Buying...Have a Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2003, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Close to Buying...Have a Few Questions

The other day I was screwing around at work and found a website that lets you test drive cars from a local dealer. To my surprise, the EVO was listed and I got to take one. Now, I was pretty much set on an RX8 or an S2000 because I thought they'd offer a better driving experience (i.e. shift feel, high revs, light weight, etc) even if they offered less performance. After driving the EVO (and an S2000, but not hitting the VTEC powerband) I was sold! This car is faster AND offers amazing driving dynamics!

I am about to buy the car, but have a few questions:

1) For anyone that has driven an S2000 and an EVO, how does the "VTEC" range of its powerband compare to the turbo in terms of exhileration or just plain old fun?

2) Price - I have been offered MSRP by a dealer? Is this reasonable or can I get much lower? If so, what is a realistic price to shoot for?

3) Does anyone in North Jersey have experience with the Mitsubishi-Nissan Delear on Rt. 46 East in Wayne (maybe Totowa?)? How about Maywood Mitsubishi? Can anyone recommend any dealers in the Tri-State area?

4) What's the deal with maintenance? Can I do this myself or is this PIT Pass thing worthwhile (it looks like a joke to me). I just don't want to get my warranty voided for something stupid.

5) Finally, is there anything to avoid in the negotiating process (i.e. add ons, etc).
Old May 6, 2003, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealership in totowa was trying to charge me 3,000 over. They did have 12 when i was there of all colors and options.....I told them that i was buying one for MSRP in Ramsey and wanted to see how much extra for a sunroof......but they tryed charging 3,895 for markup and sunroof......If you are close to Ramsey.....they were excellent....
Old May 6, 2003, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

They said they had some kind of outrageous markup. They called me today and I said I wouldn't pay more than MSRP and they "talked to the manager" and less than a minute later they offered me MSRP.
Old May 6, 2003, 02:13 PM

I think they thought i wasnt serious when i told them that i would be buying......Im not sure how they found out that I did put a down payment on one at ramsey the next day, but after that he started calling me and offering to beat the price and blah blah blah.............i just told him to F*** off for not being honest with me in the first place......

Also just curious who you are talking to in Totowa?
Old May 6, 2003, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As far as the VTEC vs Turbo, I think that most people will enjoy the turbo rush more. The S is pretty slow off of VTEC where the turbo makes you feel the surge of power as it builds. Then there is also the bonus of the blow off valve. Thats always fun. Also the EVO is quite a bit more utilitarian, 4 doors and all. I would say the only thing it lacks is the Honda build quality and possibly the Honda reliablity, but that has yet to be shown either way. Also the S2000 has one hell of a smooth tranny. It is a blast to switch gears, which you have to do often to keep the revs up.

Hope that helps.

The S does have the whole 9K rpm thing which sounds very F1 like when passing under a overpass with the top down. But how often do you get to do that?

Have fun with your new toy.

/<
Old May 6, 2003, 02:25 PM

Re: Close to Buying...Have a Few Questions

Originally posted by revhappy
1) For anyone that has driven an S2000 and an EVO, how does the "VTEC" range of its powerband compare to the turbo in terms of exhileration or just plain old fun?
can't really compare. spool-up gives you a wide grin. can't beat it.

2) Price - I have been offered MSRP by a dealer? Is this reasonable or can I get much lower? If so, what is a realistic price to shoot for?
MSRP is good, considering dealers are still trying outragous markups.

3) Does anyone in North Jersey have experience with the Mitsubishi-Nissan Delear on Rt. 46 East in Wayne (maybe Totowa?)? How about Maywood Mitsubishi? Can anyone recommend any dealers in the Tri-State area?
check the dealer sub-forums and boycott lists.

4) What's the deal with maintenance? Can I do this myself or is this PIT Pass thing worthwhile (it looks like a joke to me). I just don't want to get my warranty voided for something stupid.
The car comes already with most thing's you do to mod it normally. I won't even touch it really after I buy it, and free work via warranty isn't a bad option. I think Mitsu might have felt burned by the abuse of the t-case recall on 3kgt's and DSM's.

5) Finally, is there anything to avoid in the negotiating process (i.e. add ons, etc).
watch the interest rate, and do the math before making a decision. I reference this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=22152
Old May 6, 2003, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Actually one of the Nissan guys. I went to test the Z (hated it) and told them I was cross-shopping the EVO and he showed it to me.
Old May 6, 2003, 03:09 PM

take it from someone who has had an S2000 for over a year, the EVO is more fun. When I originally bought the s2000 it really was the best car for me. I wanted handling, balance, character, no stupid traction control, and driving fun, and I didn't care that the S didn't have any torque. They just don't make cars that raw anymore....until the EVO comes along and now i'm ready to dump my s2000 asap. I honestly don't even think i'll miss the convertible top. The only thing I might miss is that shifter, but you can't expect a short/silky 6-speed shifter in a car like the EVO. Just wouldn't work.
Old May 6, 2003, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Can anyone recommend any dealers in the Tri-State area?
Try Prestige Mitsu/VW in Turnersville (http://www.prestige-cars.com) I got a car from them before and was extremely satisfied (got a great deal to boot!). I'll try to find out the contact person over there...
Old May 6, 2003, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

Xtnct,
Thanks, I really appreciate it.
Old May 7, 2003, 12:20 AM

The other day I was screwing around at work and found a website that lets you test drive cars from a local dealer. To my surprise, the EVO was listed and I got to take one. Now, I was pretty much set on an RX8 or an S2000 because I thought they'd offer a better driving experience (i.e. shift feel, high revs, light weight, etc) even if they offered less performance. After driving the EVO (and an S2000, but not hitting the VTEC powerband) I was sold! This car is faster AND offers amazing driving dynamics!

I am about to buy the car, but have a few questions:

Having Autocrossed an S2000, I can tell you that If you haven't driven the S2000 in the Vtec zone, then you haven't truly driven an S2000. Simply put, the S2000 has the best 4-cylinder engine sold in the U.S. I have also driven an EVO pretty hard on the street. COmpared to the S2000's engine, the EVOs engine is almost as exciting at low rpms as it is at high rpms but it does not have the sound or the throttle response to match the S2000.

The EVO's advantages over the S2000 lie in handling and practicality. When it comes to steering feedback, turn-in and cornering balance, the EVO is clearly superior to the S2000's. In fact, even my FWD Integra Type-R handles better than the S2000. Keep in mind that I drive harder than most people so my feedback is geared toward Track/Autocross type driving.

Since you are looking at the EVO, I would also suggest test driving the STi when it becomes available in about 2 weeks time. In terms of the driving experience, The EVO's should be a lot closer to the STi than to the S2000 & RX-8. Having also driven an RX-7 R1, I doubt that the RX-8 will provide the same level of raw thrills, but it should be a much better daily driver.

I have deposits on both an EVO and an STi. Once I test drive my STi in a few weeks, I should be in a position to know which of the two cars is for me.
Old May 7, 2003, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Great comparison 97itr! I've driven the s2k as well and the only thing I loved about the car was the silky, smooth, precise shifting. You gotta be a lowsy driver if you misshift on the s2k. It's just a click away. Honda quality and reliability is hard to beat though!

Well guess what, I was sold on the Evo. It was more practical to my needs as an everyday commuter car and track the car on the weekends. I also think that the Evo beats the s2k as far as performance is concerned as someone already mentioned it. What more can you ask for from a 2.0L I-4 Turbo + AWD sport rally inspired sedan. All I know is that I'm a happy camper for now.