Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Normal CEL after TBE install, but car is running terrible

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Normal CEL after TBE install, but car is running terrible

After TBE install, normal check engine light came on. I hear that it shouldnt afect drivability, but whenever he opens up past 5500rpm in any gear, it feels like the boost is gone, it kind of just gives up....accelerates really slow if any past that.... feels and spools normal before it just lays out. Does this make any sense to any of you all? Engine fuse do that? Anything?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

did u get a flash ?.. and who is "he" ?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 08:46 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Bigl4201
did u get a flash ?.. and who is "he" ?
Its a buddy of mine who is just getting in to cars, I'm helping him out.

Nope, no flash, but why would the rear o2 sensor cause the car's boost to drop? It seems like the wastegate is just opening early, or the car is running in limp mode or something. Just ideas, throw anything my way, thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The TBE has nothing to do with the boost dropping, nor does the rear o2 CEL. However, did you verify that the CEL you got was caused by the TBE? You can't just install the TBE, get a CEL, and ASSUME it's the harmless rear o2 sensor problem, because it could be ANY CEL code unless you've checked to be sure ----- Actually, let's back up. If you know about the normal CEL issue from installing a TBE, then why didn't you (or your friend) get a CEL fix with the TBE? It makes no sense to install the TBE without already having this ----- Ok, fast forwarding back to the problem.

Can you explain EXACTLY what happens at 5500rpm? You can't just say it feels like boost goes away. You have to give us details. Boost can't just disappear without some sort of problem or effect. Are you hearing a loud whistling sound when the boost goes away? Do you feel lik you are "hitting a brick wall" when the boost goes away? The car could be in limp mode (again, must verify the CEL), but then you wouldn't just suddenly stop boosting at 5500rpm.

My best random guess is that you have the Sucking Snorkel Syndrome [tm Warrtalon] being caused by not fastening the intake snorkel down to the front of the engine bay with 2 clips, but I could be wrong.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:12 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
The TBE has nothing to do with the boost dropping, nor does the rear o2 CEL. However, did you verify that the CEL you got was caused by the TBE? You can't just install the TBE, get a CEL, and ASSUME it's the harmless rear o2 sensor problem, because it could be ANY CEL code unless you've checked to be sure ----- Actually, let's back up. If you know about the normal CEL issue from installing a TBE, then why didn't you (or your friend) get a CEL fix with the TBE? It makes no sense to install the TBE without already having this ----- Ok, fast forwarding back to the problem.

Can you explain EXACTLY what happens at 5500rpm? You can't just say it feels like boost goes away. You have to give us details. Boost can't just disappear without some sort of problem or effect. Are you hearing a loud whistling sound when the boost goes away? Do you feel lik you are "hitting a brick wall" when the boost goes away? The car could be in limp mode (again, must verify the CEL), but then you wouldn't just suddenly stop boosting at 5500rpm.

My best random guess is that you have the Sucking Snorkel Syndrome [tm Warrtalon] being caused by not fastening the intake snorkel down to the front of the engine bay with 2 clips, but I could be wrong.
I spoke with him, and when he originally installed the DP, it started giving him the problem. He then reinstalled the stock exhaust, and it ran fine. From what he has explained, the CEL has to be because of the exhaust.

It seems as though it would be running in limp mode, running really similar to my buddy's sti with the same situation. I always assumed that the rear sensor shouldnt have affected the performance. It seems as though by what he is saying, is that it is hitting some sort of limiter within the ecu or something. Sorry if I dont have more info, this is just for a friend again.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tell him to get on here and start posting.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:04 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Little China
Tell him to get on here and start posting.
Already did, he has an account, but he can't describe it any better. Like I said, he is new to cars, and trying to learn all he can, I'm just helping him out because I know about cars.

Never really had to deal with DSMs luckily , but alot with turbo cars in general.

Any other suggestions? I was thinking that it could possibly be the maf, or the code is cutting boost pressure as a method of preserving the catalyst?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Stop speculating and check the CEL code. Also check the snorkel like Warrtalon said, that's generally an RPM-related issue, and it's one of those things that will take you for-****ing-ever to figure out if you don't already know about it.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by PessimiStick
Stop speculating and check the CEL code. Also check the snorkel like Warrtalon said, that's generally an RPM-related issue, and it's one of those things that will take you for-****ing-ever to figure out if you don't already know about it.
I'll have to take a look at that today. Ive had intercooler pipes blow off, and it sounds like a IC pipe is loose or a clamp isnt tight. I'll check today with more updates.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Where in austin are you? You may want to stop my MZM and have them look at it. a CEL from no cat wouldn't have any performance effects. pull the code and verify that it is in fact the o2 and not a misfire or something else...
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

i also had a case of the "sucking snorkle" lol
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

It sound like Warrtalon is exactly right and your symptoms sound just like the ones in this thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ucking+snorkel
Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You still didn't answer my questions. Is it like hitting a brick wall (fuel cut), does the boost gradually fall (taper), does it choke and sputter (IC pipe), or does it make a loud whistle at the same rpm in every gear while simultaneously losing all boost?

There's no way that just installing the DP and re-installing the stock DP would cause some huge lack of power or boost, so you need to answer my questions for us to help you.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You still didn't answer my questions. Is it like hitting a brick wall (fuel cut), does the boost gradually fall (taper), does it choke and sputter (IC pipe), or does it make a loud whistle at the same rpm in every gear while simultaneously losing all boost?

There's no way that just installing the DP and re-installing the stock DP would cause some huge lack of power or boost, so you need to answer my questions for us to help you.
Sorry if I didn't give enough details, I didn't have them myself.

You guys were right, it was the snorkel thing

Thanks everyone!