Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

ECUflash and wideband questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECUflash and wideband questions

I am looking at getting the ecuflash set up in my car and using that as a data logger. I have never used a data logger and was wondering if it recorded your A/F ratio. I also need a new front O2 sensor so I figure wideband, but I want something that I can fine tune my A/F ratio with thats cheap and usefull any suggestions?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
EcuFlash is not a datalogger - it's free flashing software. EvoScan is the laptop-based datalogging software that uses the same cable as EcuFlash. Whatever datalogger you get in the future will not read wideband AFRs unless you send the wideband O2 signal to it, but it will be able to get narrowband O2s (EvoScan can receive input from several different widebands currently). You can't run a wideband in the front o2 sensor location unless it has a split wire that sends the narrowband o2 signal to the ECU (must have this in order to run in closed loop mode), then sends the wideband o2 signal to the AFR gauge or datalogging device.

Lastly, there is an entire EcuFlash sub-forum below where such things are discussed...
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Yes I didnt mean to say that ECUflash is a data logger. But thanks for the rest of the info. What are your suggestions for fine tune adjustments to the A/F ratios? And will there be a difference in the ratios from the datalogger on the front NB and the ratios I would get with some sort of A/F controller on the rear with the WB?
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
You can't run a wideband in the front o2 sensor location unless it has a split wire that sends the narrowband o2 signal to the ECU (must have this in order to run in closed loop mode), then sends the wideband o2 signal to the AFR gauge or datalogging device.
intriguing.....can you please elaborate a bit more on this?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Just get a wideband. Narrowbands aren't nearly as accurate, and you won't be as safe trying to tune with one.

There's some great prices on WB in the vendor for sale section.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

you can replace the front o2 sensor w/ a wideband from PLX devices website and wire it in using the directions they provide. You will then have a wideband and your stock ECU will see the same exact AFR's you see
Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the link, ries. That is what I was referring to.

Dupont, you normally weld a new bung into the DP for the wideband - it doesn't go in the rear O2 bung nor the front O2 bung.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ries
you can replace the front o2 sensor w/ a wideband from PLX devices website and wire it in using the directions they provide. You will then have a wideband and your stock ECU will see the same exact AFR's you see
You know, that HDD Gauge/Sensor chain setup looks cool as hell. I'm sure it's a tad $$$$ though. =D

Last edited by PessimiStick; Sep 20, 2006 at 01:31 PM.