Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying either an Evo 8 or an Evo 9???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying either an Evo 8 or an Evo 9???

I'm going to be purchasing a new car in the next few months and would like to get some more information. I've been researching the car alot on the site and I've decided to get either an Evo 8 (04-05) or an Evo 9. Now from what I've been reading, the 03's seem to have many misfire and cel problems. Also I heard the differentials are weaker. Now don't quote me on that that's just what I read. I was wondering if there's a sticky or something of the differences and changes from all the years, that would make things alot easier for me to decide. Now what, if any, changes were made from MY04 to MY05? Now I know that the Evo 9's weem to gain a good amount of power compared to the 8 with the same amount of mods. I assume it's from the newer turbo design and the variable timing system. Currently I own a 95 Honda Accord with an H22 swap and an auto-5 speed conversion, I did all the work myself just as I plan on doing to the evo. As you can tell I'm a Honda guy and I've grown up now and need an adult car, but I still need to have some fun So without anything else to say, I would like to ask the Mitsu gurus on here for there loads of knowledge on what the differences are between these three cars: 04 Evo 8, 05 Evo 8, and an 06 Evo 9, all GSR models, as well as pros and cons for each as well. Thanks for all the help.

-Sonny
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

search biotch
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:43 PM

I have been searching, I would like to hear from the owners now though.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:52 PM

I got an 05 evo and it seems like its the most moddable atm, but I hear good things about that Mivec engine on the 9 if you are planning on modding the car heavily I would save some cash and go for a low mile 05 evo 8 and get some bolt ons.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Jimithing60089
I got an 05 evo and it seems like its the most moddable atm, but I hear good things about that Mivec engine on the 9 if you are planning on modding the car heavily I would save some cash and go for a low mile 05 evo 8 and get some bolt ons.
Definately, I will eventually be putting a 35r kit on, I'm still on the fence of getting either the AMs or Buschur kit that that's niether here or there. Ironically, I really just want to get an 05 with low low miles and then mod it myself, I just want to hear what experiences pros/cons owners are having with their cars. i appreicate your input. I helped put together a STi with the ultimate racing 35r kit and I must admit it was a fun ride afterwards. That's what really got me interested in the car, I originally wanted an STi until I worked on it and realised how much of a pita it was to work on, being a honda guy the i4 of the evo was the logical choice over the flat 4.

Here are some pics of the Sti build...

Last edited by sonny30; Sep 20, 2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:02 AM

describe mivec?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:10 AM

Yea, I am currently modding my car in preperation for a 35r, I will be saving up to purchase an AMS kit, there fabrication department is unmatched in my opinion as of now, nicest looking parts I have ever seen. Go to the AMS forum thread and look at some of the pics of there kits they are nuts, buschur is a great turbo kit aswell and they are running a group buy right now but its so damn close to the price of the AMS kit and AMS's kit is just so sexy, also AMS is 30 minutes from me and Buschur is 6 hours away so its makes my decision alot easier , make sure to get AEM EMS b4 getting your 35r turbo kit, deleting the MAF is important and you will be so much happier with a standalone when upgrading your turbo expecially a 35r.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jimithing60089
make sure to get AEM EMS b4 getting your 35r turbo kit, deleting the MAF is important and you will be so much happier with a standalone when upgrading your turbo expecially a 35r.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im with you on this one, I want a low milage 05 also but they are hard to find and even if I did find one they are still like 28k and but ive seen some 03's with around 20k miles go for like 22k-23k! so I might just end up with an 03'
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I would go with an 05. Has the goodies of the front LSD and ACD which the 04 didn't have. You should save a LOT over buying a brand new 06; enough for a GT30/35R kit + cams worth. The only trick is finding one that hasn't been beat to death.

Of course, if you have money to burn, I would go with the EVO 9.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:20 AM
Account Disabled

If I had it to do all over again, I'd just save some money and go with an VIII, as in the 1/4 mile theres REALLY no difference..I went a BLISTERING 13.8 @ 99mph on a Perfect pass at sea level with my IX...so DON'T belive all the hype about IX's being faster...THIER NOT!!!
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:36 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SECEVO
If I had it to do all over again, I'd just save some money and go with an VIII, as in the 1/4 mile theres REALLY no difference..I went a BLISTERING 13.8 @ 99mph on a Perfect pass at sea level with my IX...so DON'T belive all the hype about IX's being faster...THIER NOT!!!
Perfect pass? You pulled a 60' 2.081. Just last week you were asking how to get the car to point and shoot in traffic. I don't mean to sound rude, but don't you think there's some work that needs to be done on the technique?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:42 AM
Account Disabled

Opps, I was simply Reffering to the MPH!!! Anyway you slice it after FIVE Passes, and YES, no PERFECT Launches, but 99MPH is 99MPH, and is the BIGGEST real indicator of a REAL performance is that LOW MPH!! Yes I only had 450 miles on it, but according to Warr and a few others, these motors don't GAIN HP after break-in like GM Motors always do (GTO's etc.,)....ALSO there were several STOCK VII's there that day as well ALL RUNNING 100MPH OR LOWER!!!!

SEEING IS BELIEVING!!!
Old Sep 20, 2006, 07:49 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All this was already discussed in the thread I linked above, including your shifting technique which would effect the trap speed. We all like to think we're great drivers.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 11SECEVO
Opps, I was simply Reffering to the MPH!!! Anyway you slice it after FIVE Passes, and YES, no PERFECT Launches, but 99MPH is 99MPH, and is the BIGGEST real indicator of a REAL performance is that LOW MPH!! Yes I only had 450 miles on it, but according to Warr and a few others, these motors don't GAIN HP after break-in like GM Motors always do (GTO's etc.,)....ALSO there were several STOCK VII's there that day as well ALL RUNNING 100MPH OR LOWER!!!!

SEEING IS BELIEVING!!!
Haha youre an idiot