Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What makes turbos spool?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What makes turbos spool?

Well kids like the title says; what make turbos(anysize) actually start to spool.... i know strokers kits make bigger turbos spool faster but just wanted to know if its the ecu, engine that make a turbo start to spool...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

do a search on google, how it works turbochargers.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:29 AM

Here ya go...http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

How about timing advance?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:13 PM
Pocket Mo

Larger displacement = more air+fuel = more exhaust gas = faster scrolling turbo. Timing advances might help the car move a bit faster with a slight increase in low end power, but there's no way you can cheat the fact it's a 2.0 liter motor with a 8.8:1 compression ratio.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust gas and Wastegate.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:04 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
I removed several hmmmm "dumb" remarks as off topic comments. And one of the reasons many people do not post here. What is amusing to me is that the majority of kibitzers do not speak "pressure ratio" or understand the actual dynamics of fluid flow on turbines and compressors. If you guys want to make this a technical discussion, then have it. If you want it to be a thread to embarrass the OP and yourselves, then I'll move it to OT. Thanks.

Speedlimit...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:15 PM
Pocket Mo

Ah poo, speedlimit pulled me over for posting wrecklessly.

Honestly, it's the exhaust gas that spools the turbo. How is it done? Howstuffworks is a good site to teach you the basics. Why does a stroker kit enable a turbo that went full boost at 3500 rpms to a lower rpm? Because you've increased the force that's acting on the turbine wheels thereby allowing a faster spool up. It's just like some skinny weiner kid trying to spin a merry go round at the playground and taking his sweet time while the big bad bully kid can make it spin at a fast rate early on. Basic physics.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speedlimit
I removed several hmmmm "dumb" remarks as off topic comments. And one of the reasons many people do not post here. What is amusing to me is that the majority of kibitzers do not speak "pressure ratio" or understand the actual dynamics of fluid flow on turbines and compressors. If you guys want to make this a technical discussion, then have it. If you want it to be a thread to embarrass the OP and yourselves, then I'll move it to OT. Thanks.

Speedlimit...
good move it was going all downhill from the first comment about using animals to spool
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dubIX
i forgot i posted this.... thanks to those who actually helped..
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

fart of the engine..
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:29 PM
Pocket Mo

Ah come on, we weren't making fun of him. I was posting useful stuff while talking about animals and flux capacitors. It's all joking around and having fun while helping out a fellow member. Nothing personal godfather. Please don't give me the kiss of death.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by EVO8emUp
Exhaust gas and Wastegate.
wastegates controll the turbo's boost, they don't make them spool
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's like a windmill. The exhaust gas is the wind that turns the fan that turns a shaft. It's just that instead of being attached to a grinding wheel or something, the shaft is attached to another fan that pumps air into the intake system. If you aren't sure what I mean, I suggest a backpacking trip through Holland...with detours to certain special bars...actually I suggest that anyway...
Old Sep 21, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Well I will try to get this a little more technical for everyone, but I will include on why turbos make boost.

really as said before a turbine wheel is spun by exhaust gasses, Based on the size of your cylinder ( the amount of air/fuel can fill that cylinder) Depends on how much exhaust gas is available to force the turbine to spin.

But how does it make boost? well that wheel is connected to a small shaft in the middle of the turbo system, this shaft spins on very very high speed bearings (sometimes ball bearing) and this is where we need oil and sometimes water to lubricate this shaft because this small shaft can spin sometimes up to 100,000 rpm. that shaft is then connected to another turbine wheel, this sucks in outside air from one side and pushes it into your intake manifold. the more exhaust pressure that is available from the engine spins the turbine wheel faster which in turn spins the other turbine wheel faster as well forcing the turbine to suck in more air and then push it into the manifold via your intercooler piping.

on a side note heres how a wastegate works, and you do need a wastegate. from a technical standpoint the easiest way to look at a wastegate is simply as a boost controller. there is a spring inside of the wastegate ( or wastegate actuator depending on internal or external wastegate arrangement) and that spring has a pressure rating to it, for simplistic sake lets say 10 psi, because the exhaust pressure can come on so fast and so violently it would be next to impossible to controll exactly how much boost is created, and if there was no way to regulate it the turbo would just make as much boost as it could. so now when 10Psi ( pounds per square inch) is achieved the pressure overpowers this spring, and the wastegate uses exhaust that would normally be used to spin the turbine wheel is redirected just into the exhaust system ( or into the atmosphere depending on setup)

I hope that clears it up for you but I wanted to get this post back on track, Come on people everyone has to start somewhere