Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driving the Dragon, US129, Nov 9th-12th

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving the Dragon, US129, Nov 9th-12th

This is a continuation of a previous post entitled “Attention high performance & adrenalin junkies…”

We now have a firm date to assault the notorious “Dragon,” aka: “Deals Gap,” or “US129,” and its accomplice, The Cherohala Skyway. We will be leaving south FL. on Thursday Nov 9th @ 0600 hrs and will drive straight thru, arriving at a pre-determined RP (rally point), time & location TBA. The actual driving of the Dragon will take place on Friday Nov 10th @ 0830 hrs, at a rally point somewhere along the TN side of US129- most likely along the river. From there we will begin our drive and will continue until approximately 1230 hrs or so for lunch @ the Tree of Shame (a small restaurant is located there). Due to the fact that gas stations will be few & far between, I highly advise showing up with a full tank. There will not be any sightseeing during the assault, however, pre-determined check points will become stop-offs so people can take a break, pictures, etc. We will be running the entire Dragon and then moving right along to the Cherohala Skyway with a rally point in Tellico for fuel etc. This assault will last for two days, Nov 10th & 11th , heading back on Sunday Nov 12th. In addition, we will likely engage in some nighttime driving which should be great as there will be almost zero traffic.

If you would like to meet us as we travel up to the Dragon from out of state and cruise up with us, or meet @ our starting rally point at the base of the Dragon on US129, or have any other questions, please feel free to email me : spectrumassociates@truevine.net
This will very likely be some of the nicest, beautiful, challenging and fun roads you will ever drive on!!!!! If you’ve never driven your high performance vehicle on a twisty mountain road, this is a chance you won’t want to miss!!!!!!!!!!

Please remember, this IS NOT A RACE- safety is paramount! “Spirited driving” will go on, but all attendees need to exercise restraint and show respect to others. This will take place on a public road and all attendees need to follow all state and local laws.
Everyone attending does so at their own risk.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

I will be there 12th to the 15th of October.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

I will see you guys up there...i will more than likley take the travel on my own since i only live about 2 hours away, but will def. see you all there.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 07:52 PM

i'm sure i'll be there. I'll prolly bring a friend too
Old Sep 21, 2006, 08:01 PM

I am gona try my hardest to make it down yonder. I have heard alot about the dragon and it will be even better with a bunch of EVO's.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 08:06 PM

I'll be there this year!
Old Sep 22, 2006, 02:08 AM
Evolved Member

I love the gap.. But more than likly my car will still be in pieces november
Old Sep 22, 2006, 05:18 AM

Great place. I usually hit a few times a year on the zx-10. If you go up there in a car: DO NOT CROSS THE YELLOW LINE. The one thing I can't stand are cagers in my lane comming at me head on. Enjoy and be safe.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will try and be there on Saturday.

Keep in mind that 129 is usually patrolled on the TN side on the weekend. Usually no radar on the dragon itself, just showing a presence to try and keep you sane. Do be careful and stay on your side of the line. A speed trap is common on the portion of 129 that runs alongside the lake- which is shown as a speed trap on one of the online maps.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

41ants,
Pont well taken. I agree about being careful in regards to other traffic, especially bikes. however, I've seen more bikes over the yellow than cars and more bike riders doing dumb things like weaving in and out of traffic, pulling wheelies w/ passengers,etc.
Bottom line is, we all like to have fun and take challenges,but we still have to show respect for others and excercise restraint, especially up there.
BTW, what are cagers?

Steve P,
I know exactly where you're talking about, I saw a Blount Co. dep-u-tee sitting right in that spot as you come around the corner leaving the river, my V1 cought his signal a mile away.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 06:29 PM
Evolving Member

Sandsanta and I are going
Old Sep 23, 2006, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sgt Blamo
what are cagers?
Cager is what people on bikes call cars...... because we have protection around us and they dont = cager.

BTW: today I watched a bike go off the road and the guy broke atleast 1 leg and had to go to the store took about 8mins to get there then make the call for an ambulance. Then it took them 1 hour to get there. I felt bad for the guy :-( Just using that as a wakeup...

-Josh
Old Sep 23, 2006, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LoCo4
I will be there 12th to the 15th of October.
I'll be there on 14th also.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

^
So will you be coming in Nov too?
Old Sep 24, 2006, 03:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sgt Blamo
^
So will you be coming in Nov too?