Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

why are intakes bad for evo ix

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider the Apexi intake if you want open element. Considering what everyone has said about trying to smooth out the intake airflow before hitting the sensor/honeycomb, the Apexi's filter design is concave on the top to help smooth out the exact air turbulence that normally occurs inside, which would help greatly to get smoother AFR readings. I have that on my EvoIX and all is well, no idle/stalling or similar problems.

Hope that helps.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard way too many unsupported opinions against cone filters. I did all my research, talked to everyone on both sides of the arguement, and ultimately went the route of Buschur Cone. After seeing real dyno results and data logging myself between Dynoflash and Buschur, I have no reason to believe the drop in is a better solution. The dynos are consistantly higher with the BR cone plain and simple.

The only catch is that you MUST get a tune for it. After that my A/F looks great, drivability is flawless, and I'm making about 8whp more than other IXs on the same dyno with the same mods and drop in filter.