Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

why are intakes bad for evo ix

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why are intakes bad for evo ix

ok i been reading and everyone says just to get the k&n drop in air filter for teh box.

why are aftermarket intakes bad? also why are Bov that make noise bad?? is it just some dont like the rice aspect or are there actual numbers that back this claim up?

i thought the hks racing suction intake can add some good whp numbers.

am i missing something seems more i read the more confused i get by everyones personal ideas.

is it better for whp to go with a turbo back exhaust or cat back? havent found anything with numbers. i like the sound of the magnaflow cat back system. so what should i get for the down pipe sinc in NY we have to keep our stock cat.

yes i used search button for the last 2 days reading over proabbly 200 posts and still im confused on which route to go first. and what intake and exhaust give best whp.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=karman+hertz
Old Sep 23, 2006, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

best bet is to skip the intake and stick with the drop-in...there is no point to get a intake unless your upgrading the turbo because the stock box is just fine...If you have to have an intake then make sure you get tuned for it, otherwise your car wont run good. As for bov, you mine as well stay with the stock metal one you have because it holds boost just fine..Vta Bovs are not good because of the stock MAF...(search)
turboback exhausts are the best first mod IMO...of course its better then just a cat back because your allowing more exhaust to escape..not getting a downpipe or testpipe is not bad, but it does free up everthing for more power..
Old Sep 23, 2006, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

intakes are good if u get the custom tune. BOV are pointless unless your running really high boost or u get the custom tune. If u want to push the stock turbo and u want the intake and BOV, u jus need that custom tune.

Also intakes allow more air which is good but in some threads ive seen dust and a whole lot of crap that goes in that could dmg the engine and stuff, wont say what intake cause i dont wanna bash on a nebody's intake.

Only if ur pushin the stock turbo to its limits or gettin a bigger turbo, thats the most logical reason for gettin a aftermarket intake and BOV.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
From a fellow Clarkstonite:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=intake

They are great - but you will need a tune.

VTA - is not for Evos. Dont even thing about it. Get a APS, Forge, or IX (scratch that - you have a good one) if you wish to up the boost.

Basically, your looking for an upgrade path - not saying you have to use this one, but the path idea is what is important here.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...08&postcount=1

Going cat-less (TBE) yields more power than just a cat-back.

Last edited by Smike; Sep 23, 2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

well i plan on getting a tune but was going to do the intake and exhaust first before i go down and see him. i have to keep my cat to stay legal in NY state insepction and font feel like swithcing it every time. would rather just stay with thet cat. so basically what kit works bets with the stock evo9 cat.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Get a high flow cat then. If you're going to leave the stock cat, don't even bother getting a dp since there's going to be a bottleneck and all the exaust you just freed up is going to hit the cat like a brick wall.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tony_b
Get a high flow cat then. If you're going to leave the stock cat, don't even bother getting a dp since there's going to be a bottleneck and all the exaust you just freed up is going to hit the cat like a brick wall.

only problem is you cant chnage the cat. its either 80k miles or 8 years before your allowed to change stock cat. 50k fine. Ny is very touchy about the cat. can get away with alot of other things but the cat.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
bro a cat is a simple bolt in piece...get a test pipe or a high flow cat

if you ever have a problem slap the stocker back in

VIOLA
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

dude as long as your not throwing any codes your fine. I didnt have a cat on my previous catless car and i passed. If your throwing a code get a o2 fix or save yourself the trouble and get the Ultimate Racing Testpipe. It has a bung for the o2 sensor. I have had it on my car for 10k miles and no codes
Old Sep 23, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

Also intakes arent bad for ur evo as long as you get tuned for it. Are they necessary rightaway no. However if your looking to make gains without upgrading your turbo. I personally with With buschur stage 1 made 341 whp on the Dynojet. Where as my friend who has the buschur stage 1 but kept the intake box with a k&n drop in make 332whp. Do whats within your budget. If i were you start with a turboback first before your thinking intake
Old Sep 23, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

i been looking at the buschur stage one only about 7 hour drive from my house may just take it down there and save my cat. and replace the highflow one every inspection period.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 05:16 PM

I have heard nothing but bad things about the Typhoon KN intake for Evos. I have read the reason behind evo's not liking aftermarket intakes is the inside of the intake pipe is too smooth and the MAS cannot get a good reading.

Like said above, the stocker is actually pretty good.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

the stock evo MAF likes smooth air flow.....it senses air flow by a karman vortex sensor and outputs it as a frequency, Hz.

The cavity in the stock air box plus the honeycomb grid helps "calm" the incoming airflow, makes it more laminar and thus allows the sensor to measure the correct vibration.

A cone filter of anykind causes turbulance and eddies and makes the sensor read erratic.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by filter
ok i been reading and everyone says just to get the k&n drop in air filter for teh box.

why are aftermarket intakes bad? also why are Bov that make noise bad?? is it just some dont like the rice aspect or are there actual numbers that back this claim up?

i thought the hks racing suction intake can add some good whp numbers.

am i missing something seems more i read the more confused i get by everyones personal ideas.

is it better for whp to go with a turbo back exhaust or cat back? havent found anything with numbers. i like the sound of the magnaflow cat back system. so what should i get for the down pipe sinc in NY we have to keep our stock cat.

yes i used search button for the last 2 days reading over proabbly 200 posts and still im confused on which route to go first. and what intake and exhaust give best whp.

because

1.) people are poor to afford an aftermarket intake
2.) poor with aftermarket intake = usually no tune

Quick Reply: why are intakes bad for evo ix