Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Danger in weight reduction??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only way removing the Evap stuff will NOT result in a code, is if you run a stand alone computer (such as AEM's). Removing emissions won't save you any substantial weight so I am not sure what the purpose would be?
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're looking for significant weight savings...removing the dust sheilds wouldn't yield much of anything in terms of weight loss (maybe 1lb for all 4?) If you're really interested in true weight reduction start with the basics like the spare, jack and tools, lighter battery, etc. I personally stripped my car down to the bare metal from the middle of the car back and installed an Autopower cage. Also, drain the wiper resevoir and remove as much of the sound material as you can.

But IMHO, it just depends on how far you're willing to go with weight reduction...but the two items you are inquiring about really won't do anything for you.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
Don’t respond just to say something stupid.
Sorry, but I can't help it: People are responding and giving you real and practical advice, and you're getting mad at them for that because it's not what you want to hear. You're asking, overall, about weight reduction, whether or not specifically a couple of parts can be removed. Well it's clear that those 2 parts should be the LAST parts that you look to remove when you're looking to reduce weight because:

a) they don't really weight anything
b) there are potential detrimental effects

Sorry if that was "stupid" and not what you want to hear, but clearly you're looking for someone to justify you taking those 2 parts off, and it seems about 98% are going to say NO. So go for it anyway if you're just going to dismiss people's advice regardless...
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

It's fine that he asked for specific answers to his questions, but he is quite RUDE to the people who are trying to help. It seems most are trying to save him from going down the wrong path, and it's everything but appreciated. I don't think he's deserving of any more info.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

im outie on this thread.....
Old Sep 25, 2006, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

The dust shields also provide protection from puddles. Water hitting a hot rotor can warp them suckers in a instant! The weight savings on the removal on these would be very minimal....but I will help against brake fade...
Old Sep 25, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Originally Posted by EVOIXMR8916
im outie on this thread.....

ditto...
Old Sep 25, 2006, 07:21 PM
Pocket Mo

In conclusion:

Removing these parts will barely net you any benefit. Take the advice given to you and remove the spare wheel and jack. Empty out the washer fluid tank and get some lightweight replacement parts. Weight reduction in cars can be really expensive.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evap system weighs about 7 lbs if I remember correctly. I capped the line going to the engine compartment, stuck a mini K&N breather filter on the vent line. (I thought about installing a rollover valve on the vent line but the FSM seems to indicate that there is already one there.) Removed the evap solenoid, removed all the lines going to the intake manifold. Still need to remove the hard line going from the rear to the front of the car. I don't know if it causes more CEL lights because (1) I've deleted my CEL light bulb and (2) I cut off power to the whole car (including the ECU) when it's parked, clearing any codes that might otherwise accumulate. The few times I've checked for new CEL codes with an OBDII reader, I didn't see any.

EGR system also deleted. Engine runs just fine. The evap and EGR make a small enough difference that the stock ECU will just deal with it in closed-loop running. No smell of gas fumes when the car is parked, no leaking gas, etc.

Obviously not emissions-legal, I don't care since I have a non-road-legal full-race-prep car.

Since you asked.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vtluu
Evap system weighs about 7 lbs if I remember correctly. I capped the line going to the engine compartment, stuck a mini K&N breather filter on the vent line. (I thought about installing a rollover valve on the vent line but the FSM seems to indicate that there is already one there.) Removed the evap solenoid, removed all the lines going to the intake manifold. Still need to remove the hard line going from the rear to the front of the car. I don't know if it causes more CEL lights because (1) I've deleted my CEL light bulb and (2) I cut off power to the whole car (including the ECU) when it's parked, clearing any codes that might otherwise accumulate. The few times I've checked for new CEL codes with an OBDII reader, I didn't see any.

EGR system also deleted. Engine runs just fine. The evap and EGR make a small enough difference that the stock ECU will just deal with it in closed-loop running. No smell of gas fumes when the car is parked, no leaking gas, etc.

Obviously not emissions-legal, I don't care since I have a non-road-legal full-race-prep car.

Since you asked.
Awesome info! Running without the evap and EGR is a good way to keep the intake tract clean. I didn't think it was possible without throwing a code. Any more details on what you did electrically (did you leave any wires unplugged/disconnected)?
Old Dec 27, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Just left the harnesses disconnected (zip-tied them so they wouldn't dangle around). As I said, it might (probably) throw a code sooner or later, my way of dealing of it is by not caring.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 07:58 PM

IMO, this guy that started this thread is rude to all of you knowledgable people. Just tell him to take out his motor and tranny. HUGE weight reduction there.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 08:08 PM
JTB
Evolved Member

The heat shields also deflect heat away the ABS sensor and wires a little. When things get really hot without the shields these can melt.

I have run with and without with no problems. Presently I have them installed but also have the forge brake ducts. Up to you I guess.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

vtluu - Thanks a lot, that was helpful info that I was looking for.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 09:14 PM
Evolved Member

i took my brake dust shield on my integra because i was running larger brakes and i never had a problem

Quick Reply: Danger in weight reduction??