Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Danger in weight reduction??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2006, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger in weight reduction??

So I have been reading a lot about some of the different things that people take out for weight reduction and I had a few question.

What is the purpose of brake dust shields? What are the dangers or removing them, and how can these dangers be overcome.

What is the danger in removing the EVAP system, specifically the charcoal canister, and how can this be overcome.

Please only reply if you have real experience or knowledge. Don’t respond just to say something stupid.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
The brake dust shield is there to prevent stuff like pebbles getting stuck between the pads and rotor. I took off the dust shields when I upgraded the brakes on my Nissan, and never had any probs after 130k miles and lots of track time. Taking them off will probably aid in cooling also.

As for the charcoal system, it's part of the emissions system. I'd just leave it alone.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info on the brake shields, that was the kind of experience I am looking for.

For the EVAP though, if you’re just going to say leave it there and not give a good reason why, then please don’t say anything about it
Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
Thanks for the info on the brake shields, that was the kind of experience I am looking for.

For the EVAP though, if you’re just going to say leave it there and not give a good reason why, then please don’t say anything about it

cause in somestates its illegal to mess with it. that better?
Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
The brake dust shield is there to prevent stuff like pebbles getting stuck between the pads and rotor.
In addition to that, it also prevents a water layer forming between your pad and rotor when driving in rain. If you get a water layer in there, it takes about 1 sec to burn that off. Ever drive on the highway on a very rain day through puddles, then apply the brakes and you have nothing for about 1 sec? This shield helps prevent that. If you take it off, expect the time of having no brakes to increase in the rain.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:46 AM
Pocket Mo

I've also read that the dust shield helps to keep heat away from the CV joints to some degree.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

\
What is the danger in removing the EVAP system, specifically the charcoal canister, and how can this be overcome.
if you start removing evap parts you probally wont pass emissions, dont pass emissions you wont be drivin the car on the street

the other thing is why are you looking into these parts for wait savings, theres not alot of wait to be saved there. imo
Old Sep 24, 2006, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by filter
cause in somestates its illegal to mess with it. that better?
right on. I don't think these "weight savings" is going to improve your times all that much. what type of racing do you plan on doing?
Old Sep 24, 2006, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Do not post if you dont have anything helpfull to say. I did not ask how much weight this would save or how it would effect the performance. I simply asked the direct danger that removing these parts would cause and how these dangers can be overcome.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Please only reply if you have real experience or knowledge. Don’t respond just to say something stupid.

no need to go off on a tangent here fella. im sure there are many reasons why people tell you to leave it on or what the weight savings may be. please dont post back and tell them NOT to post if they dont have anything helpful. im sure you may get better results just leaving them. you asked the question, now deal with the answers.

with that said,

removing the evap system may cause a myraid of problems for you. first, it is part of the smog system. the charcoal canister allows the fuel tank to breath under different weather conditions. the fuel (in liquid form) will slowly evaporate-hence the term EVAP system-and allow it to return to the fuel tank in a liquid form again. it also helps balance the pressure inside of the fuel tank so that you dont have a vapor lock experience.

race cars have a evap system too. some just have a filter at the end of a breather tube. not really a concern on a racetrack only car, but may give you problems with a road going car.

another major benifit-helps keep the enviornment healthy

hoped that helped.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Do not post if you dont have anything helpfull to say. I did not ask how much weight this would save or how it would effect the performance. I simply asked the direct danger that removing these parts would cause and how these dangers can be overcome.

i guess the danger would be noxious fumes, hurts the enviornment, and a rolling bomb because the fumes are constantly exiting the fuel tank. especially during hot days.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The brake dust shields do indeed help dissipate heat of the rotors (acts as a type of heat sink/shield) as well as a protective cover for the rotors. Removing it would be foolish since it doesn't weigh anything. I would focus more in interior/body trim items (such as the bumper supports, dash, emissions crap, seats, A/C + condensor, battery, lexan/glass). Also keep in mind that items such as the flywheel, drive shaft + axles, rims, and rotors are all things that can be replaced with lighter pieces that will also increase whp as well as lighten the car quite a bit. Remember that if you plan on tracking the car, BUY A ROLL CAGE. It might be heavy but it will save your life in case of a crash.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Sep 24, 2006 at 09:30 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Removing the EVAP system will probably also throw a code.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info so far. Has any one actually done this I would like to here some first hand experiance. And for the last time stop talking about other ways to remove weight or how rotating weight is important. I asked about the EVAP and the shields, and that is all

Thanks
Old Sep 25, 2006, 03:03 AM
Evolved Member

I asked about the EVAP and the shields, and that is all
My Bad, I thought you were asking like the title says: Danger in Weight reduction??
Time to move on to a more intelligent thread. good luck.

Quick Reply: Danger in weight reduction??