Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tilton Users... Click Here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow this is a great read and great to know im going to pick mine up in a few weeks so i can rap up my motor build. Thanks for a another great thread scott.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 09:04 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Wow this is a great read and great to know im going to pick mine up in a few weeks so i can rap up my motor build. Thanks for a another great thread scott.
Rap it up man...

Old Sep 27, 2006, 09:07 AM
Account Disabled

ProccoEvo is the first candidate to test the ATi Super Dampner on his crazy sick 2.0L GT40R build. I am sure it is a critical part in an estimated 800-900whp expected from that car.

I am however looking for candidates on stock ECU with Hybrid and Twin Cerametallic Tiltons also to run this dampner and share the results.
Old Oct 5, 2006, 03:23 PM
Account Disabled

OK, OK. I am going to be using an ATi Super dampner as well. These are rated for 10 years and 800HP. Certified by SFi for high RPM use.

The correct way to install a damper is with a damper installation tool. Now that you have selected a quality damper, don't damage it by using a carpenter's tool (a hammer) to install it. Severe damage can occur during installation with such a device (a hammer). This instrument (a hammer) continually applied to your damper (beating on it) can cause the inner hub to move at a separate rate onto the crank as opposed to the outer ring. This can damage the elastic rubber in between the two parts on a steel or ductile iron damper, and definitely not improve the ability of a fluid filled damper. A quality damper will be tight on the crankshaft snout, therefore it will be almost a press fit, hence the need for an installation tool. This is an inexpensive tool to use with a quality damper on a hi-performance engine. Along with this quality damper, another item sometimes overlooked is a quality, properly torqued new crank bolt. This will keep the properly installed, quality damper where it is supposed to be--on the crankshaft
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:39 PM
Account Disabled

Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:40 PM
Account Disabled

Old Sep 4, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was there a verdict here?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
It is NOT a sale. There is not a for profit gain. IT IS A TEST.

It is not designed as a lightweight pulley. If you knew what a that pulley was for, you would understand its purpose and why this is important. If you don't have a Tilton clutch, there is nothing you can add to this thread, so don't post.
I do happen to own a Tilon and I can testify that my stock damper is working fantastically. It is performing so well, that I rarely give it a second thought. Sure, my evo isn't the most powerful one on the block, but guess what, 99.99% of people don't have super-high HP and high revving evo's that would necessitate this ATI damper. Best part is that I didn't pay a cent for my stock damper, since it came free with the car. As a bonus, the factory installed the part on the car for me. I'm so lucky.

I do know what a lightweight pulley is for too. It's so the ignorant people can install another anodized aluminum part on their car and color coordinate their engine bays. Thanks for making another incorrect assumption, champ.

Again, good luck with your sales (there is more than one meaning to that word, btw), and I can't wait till we get someone who posts on here with conclusive evidence that the ATI damper saved their engine from catastrophic failure. It's bound to happen soon now...
Old Sep 5, 2007, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4cdndctn
Was there a verdict here?
You'll never amass enough data to derive a final verdict based off one group's experience. You can either weigh everyone's arguments for their case (which is less than scientific) or accept that stock dampers work, as well as ATI dampers. Sure, ATI dampers may work better to a slim degree, but is it worth the extra money and hassle to you for the peace of mind and knowledge that you've got the best that money can buy? That's the most important determining factor.

I would feel much more informed if I had a list of the fastest evos and by each name/car there was some additional information. Which clutch are they using? Which crank are they using (4g63, 4g64, g4cs, eagle, etc...) and is it modified? What is their rev limit? What kind of crank HP figures are they producing? Which damper are they running? Did they get their part for free and install it for the endorsement or sponsorship, or did they actively seek the part out and install it themselves?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Perhaps you didn't notice that this thread is a year old.

TTP has become a dealer for Fluidampr harmonic balancers as well, since their experience was that installation of the ATI dampners was time-consuming, etc. and the Fluidamprs were easier to install and less expensive than the ATIs.