Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Something wrong with my EVO need help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy english
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Slimdatwelve209
#1 i smell gas from my exhaust when i start the car it really strong everytime
#2 when the car idle it not like a regular sound it stutter and it loud since i got the exhaust on it
#3 when i power shift my gear grind 3 and 4th and even i jux cruise it feel like sometime like somethin blocking for me to shift into 3 and grind a little in 4th
#4 my turbo doesnt have that high pitch sound it flutters i dont know it cuz of the BOV but it flutters like a sheep would talk
example: regular turbo psssh...rite..
mines: psshhssshhhsssh lol...
Possible answers to your questions....
#1 If you smell a STRONG scent of gasoline that is because it is, not because it is coming out of your tail pipe; that has a different smell. this could be due to the fact that the injectors were replaced at some point in time. Possible bad O-rings, its common for a bad O-ring to leak gasoline when the motor is cold, sometimes they reseal themselves after they expand from heat. Look for any possible signs of fuel leaks along the ENTIRE fuel system.
#2 This could be caused by the fact of a bad tune, or the fact that one or more of your injectors is leaking through the O-rings.
#3 This is due to the fact of previous abuse
#4 Mine does this sometimes, depending on what RPM I shift at. But I dont know if yours has a real problem or not....

Last edited by superscout03; Sep 30, 2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Take your car to a respectful EVO shop.

In the bay there is a lot. WORKS, Vishnu, Speed Element, etc.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Did you get a really good deal on the car. You must have cause I wouldn't buy a evo that had been repo. Cause that owner at that point had nothing to lose and was basically driving a stolen car (wasn't his anymore). Take it somewhere and lay out the money to get it fixed right if you can't do it yourself. Good luck.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pacent
1. are you running a cat? Look underneath your car...if no cat, your car exhaust can smell at gasoline

2. get the car tuned

3. stop powershifting and use the clutch and gas appropriately

4. swap out that bov back to a stock mr one
yea i am running cat

i dont even powershift on the car the only time i do something like that if im late for something or goin on the freeway when merging but that how i know it really grind when i power shift but not a loud sound just a quick grind manly 4th but when i shift at 3k rpm 3rd doesnt really grind just doesnt go in smooth and 4th grind a little bit

but do u think is ok for me to go with JDM MR BOV instead?

imma just bring it in to WORK since the car got alot of WORK sticker on it since it got a few things on the car by them

thankz yall for the help
Old Sep 30, 2006, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

yes it is ok for you to have the JDM bov
Old Oct 1, 2006, 03:04 AM
Evolving Member

Man your ghetto, representing stockton well......
Old Oct 1, 2006, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

First off, i have owned a GFB BOV from day one. They are great, except for their need of frequent cleaning. I have to take mine apart and clean it twice a year. The brass piston gets gummed up and causes tons of issues. I even had a guy come over with boost issues. First thing i did was clean his and the problem solved. The correct adjustment for most EVO's is to fully back off the cap and turn in 3 full turns. That is a good setting for stock boost. Mine holds to 30 PSI with no problems. Trust me, clean it. lightly grease the o-rings and use brake-kleen for the rest of the cleaning. put back together DRY!!! RRR
Old Oct 1, 2006, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Trying to diagnosis a problem or problems in your case, on the internet is next to impossible....plus everyone thinks they are a technician nowdays. You would be surprised how much you think you know once you completed the basic theory class.
Anyone has has been ASE trained would would know how to check the basics.
Take it to someone who knows evos whenever possible.....Gruppe S, WORK. Try and makes some friends up there with a tech.....send em pizza's at lunch, beer for after work...
Old Oct 1, 2006, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
Trying to diagnosis a problem or problems in your case, on the internet is next to impossible....plus everyone thinks they are a technician nowdays. You would be surprised how much you think you know once you completed the basic theory class.
Anyone has has been ASE trained would would know how to check the basics.
Take it to someone who knows evos whenever possible.....Gruppe S, WORK. Try and makes some friends up there with a tech.....send em pizza's at lunch, beer for after work...
do u know if they charge for looking at my car if i bring it to them thinking of bringing to WORK?

but i keep the pizza and beer in mind lol...
Old Oct 1, 2006, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kf6ytc
Man your ghetto, representing stockton well......
lol...that stockton mang would it still count im ghetto if im living in the NORTHside in the Spanos Houses?...i dont even see any evo owner on here from stockton as of rite now too and it so hard to meet ppl with evo's here in stockton only seem one on the street every few dayz but i know there alot here but there alot of STI though