Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Something wrong with my EVO need help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something wrong with my EVO need help

yea there some stuff that wrong with my evo well i bought the car used and when i got it the mods on it was a upper intercooler pipe from WORK with a GFX Stealth FX BOV and an custom exhaust cause i couldnt find any brand on it...and the problem with the car is..
#1 i smell gas from my exhaust when i start the car it really strong everytime
#2 when the car idle it not like a regular sound it stutter and it loud since i got the exhaust on it
#3 when i power shift my gear grind 3 and 4th and even i jux cruise it feel like sometime like somethin blocking for me to shift into 3 and grind a little in 4th
#4 my turbo doesnt have that high pitch sound it flutters i dont know it cuz of the BOV but it flutters like a sheep would talk
example: regular turbo psssh...rite..
mines: psshhssshhhsssh lol...

i dont know if the last owner flash the car or tune either so could anybody help me out jux to figure out wat wrong still new with the evo

thankz
Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:45 AM
Pocket Mo

You might want to get in touch with the previous owner if at all possible. Where'd you buy your car?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

probably should have tried to figure out these probs BEFORE you bought the car.. :\

1. sounds like you just need to get the car tuned.. evos run rich from the factory.
2. sounds like normal exhaust..
3. get your tranny checked.. If you're powershifting, who knows what the idiot before you was doing.
4. ditch the bov and get a stock unit or one that recirculates.. this could also be the cause of your idle problem in #2
Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by andysoo8284
You might want to get in touch with the previous owner if at all possible. Where'd you buy your car?
i bought in sacramento the dealership called Autoville it 40 mins away from stockton i check the car fax on it the last owner got the car repo and that all i know... and when i bought the car i notice the car when it idle all stuttering but thought that was normal but the gear shifting was ok till i brought it home a week later that when it started happening and the car only has 24k on it and got alot of work sticker on it
Old Sep 30, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the guy knew it was getting "repoed", he might have beat it in the ground first. Is it bought with a warranty?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
If the guy knew it was getting "repoed", he might have beat it in the ground first. Is it bought with a warranty?
it still have the factory warranty on it but the only thing is that i got them mods and mitsu dealer said it was no good since i got them mods on it and that it was gonna cost me 2g to replace everything back to stock for them to fix wat wrong with the car but i didnt buy it from mitsu though

but since im only an hour away from the bay area i can either take to gruppe-s or WORK to take a look at it to inspect the problem for me do you think that better instead

Last edited by Slimdatwelve209; Sep 30, 2006 at 07:09 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you knew what the "initial" mods were, before they got it repoed, that would help. I put bigger injectors on my car, and bolted the fuel rail wrong, and got a fuel leak. maybe you have something like that. Find a "friend" who has a stock evo, and "borrow" his parts, and put them on your car, and see if that helps. if it does, get rid of the mods. it doesn't cost that much (2G) to put it back to stock. if you have a fuel leak, your car willl run like crap. Look for the leak.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

definately bring it to works for tuning, exhaust and BOV without a tuning is not a good thing to begin with. As for the tranny, try changing the fluid (BGII shift like butter).
Old Sep 30, 2006, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
If you knew what the "initial" mods were, before they got it repoed, that would help. I put bigger injectors on my car, and bolted the fuel rail wrong, and got a fuel leak. maybe you have something like that. Find a "friend" who has a stock evo, and "borrow" his parts, and put them on your car, and see if that helps. if it does, get rid of the mods. it doesn't cost that much (2G) to put it back to stock. if you have a fuel leak, your car willl run like crap. Look for the leak.
i wish i had a friend who has an evo but i dont know anyone except me i seen evo around but not quite often mostly STI but about the leaks about 2 months ago my cousin who worked at pep boys got this thing that told me that i got 3 misfires code and we found two of the problem and it was two tube that was not connected and was leaked one was the tube that connect from the head to the MAF pipe and the other one was from the trottle body to BOV they were both not connected to there spot but we never found the 3rd and my engine light is on too
Old Sep 30, 2006, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

1. are you running a cat? Look underneath your car...if no cat, your car exhaust can smell at gasoline

2. get the car tuned

3. stop powershifting and use the clutch and gas appropriately

4. swap out that bov back to a stock mr one

Last edited by pacent; Sep 30, 2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

definatly check to see if you have a cat. what cel are you throwing? go to autozone and get the code pulled and let us know.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

no power shifting :/
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

this is why buying a used evo is a bad idea.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

this is also why owning an evo and knowing nothing about is bad...do you think it's reeeeally neccesary to powershift? i blame the fast and the furious for this.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Slimdatwelve209
i wish i had a friend who has an evo but i dont know anyone except me i seen evo around but not quite often mostly STI but about the leaks about 2 months ago my cousin who worked at pep boys got this thing that told me that i got 3 misfires code and we found two of the problem and it was two tube that was not connected and was leaked one was the tube that connect from the head to the MAF pipe and the other one was from the trottle body to BOV they were both not connected to there spot but we never found the 3rd and my engine light is on too
Punctuation and grammar are your friends.

Take your car to a shop near you and let them go through it.

How did a dealership sell you a car with a warranty then, refuse to honor it because there are mods on it that were there when you bought the car? I would call BS on that. If they said the car had a warranty when you bought it but, never bothered to check that it was A. functioning properly and B. stock that is their problem.

How the hell are you supposed to know what is stock and what is aftermarket let alone what vacuum hoses go where when buying a car you don't know the inner workings of? I'm a pretty decent mechanic and I can fix most things on my Evo. That doesn't mean I can just poke my head under any car's hood and know "Oh, this vacuum line doesn't go here."

Last edited by hotrod2448; Sep 30, 2006 at 01:32 PM.