Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blowing fuses

Ok so i installed my WT/Br kit and ever since then i keep blowing my Engine Control fuse. this happens when im just driving down the road not even pushing it. i didnt touch anything electrical other then the new fuel pump
Old Sep 30, 2006, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

whats your list of mods? The only part you have that has ANYTHING to do with electrical is a fuel pump? Have you taken any other parts off the car and installed new ones or the factory parts? I see you have a intake... Why do i ask? You may have a pinched wire from installing new parts or by removing stock parts and putting them back on. Or you possibly have a loose connection at the fuel pump. I dont know eactly if the fuel pump wiring is connected/related the the wiring for the fuse you keep blowing. you will have to look at an electical diagram for the vehicle and trace all wires that tie into that fuse. Check for continuity and move the engine harness as your testing to help find a broken/shorted wire.

Good luck.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

i have an arc intake, tbe, forge bov, forge mbc, turbo timer, new fuel pump, boost gauge. the only new thing that would have anything to do with electrical is the new fuel pump. i didnt wire up my boost gauge, i only have a vac line going to it with no lights. i swaped out my greddy bov for a forge one, put a mbc on, and then the new fuel pump. the intake has been on since i bought the car and i havent moved it at all. i have taken the fuel pump system apart 4 times now and i keep double checking and yes all the wire are connected. do you have an electrical diagram for a 03 evo? im about to just take the car to miti and have them find the break becuase i know nothing about electrical stuff
Old Sep 30, 2006, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

anyone have any other advice? i blew 2 more today and its getting annoying to fix while in traffic
Old Oct 3, 2006, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Ok so i gave up and took my car to miti beucase i couldnt find the short or any problem. the dealer calls back saying they cant find anything wrong. and they want to charge me $250 to keep looking. the only electrical thing that i messed with was the new walbo fuel pump. could the pump be causing the short and blowing my engine controle fuse?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

I had a similar problem, check your boost control solenoid leads to see if they are shorting out or anything else shorting out. I cant remember if it was that fuse or another engine fuse near it cause my car is in the body shop now
Old Oct 3, 2006, 01:41 PM

I'd make sure your 02 sensor on you cat-back is not rubbing the under frame of your EVO. This what was causing my engine control fuse to blow. The anti-fouler pushed the O2 sensor to close to the frame and eventually the 02 sensor went metal to metal with the frame due to movement.

Hope this helps...
Old Oct 3, 2006, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

ok when i installed the mbc i just took off the hose from teh turbo and the wastegate. i left the hoses just hanging there incase i need to hook it back up again. should i unplug the sensor, or take all the unused vac lines off of the sensor? this is how i have my mbc set up turbo----mbc----wastegate
Old Oct 3, 2006, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fishing_ndw
I'd make sure your 02 sensor on you cat-back is not rubbing the under frame of your EVO. This what was causing my engine control fuse to blow. The anti-fouler pushed the O2 sensor to close to the frame and eventually the 02 sensor went metal to metal with the frame due to movement.

Hope this helps...
Yes! This happened to me too...if you don't spin the exhaust pipes the right way it pushes the o2 sensor too close to the frame, loosen the clamps and turn it about a half inch or so away from the underbody and cover the wires in silicone grease.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2StepsAhead
Yes! This happened to me too...if you don't spin the exhaust pipes the right way it pushes the o2 sensor too close to the frame, loosen the clamps and turn it about a half inch or so away from the underbody and cover the wires in silicone grease.
o son of a *****. i bet thats it. becuase my o2 is pused up agains the frame and the wires are bent. i didnt think of that