Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Insurance reinbursement help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance reinbursement help

i dont know how i can go about this..but i was involved in a car accident where multiple car hit..the damage isn't great...the front bumper caved in and twisted my intercooler and pushed my radiator back into my invida o2 housing which cause the radiator to blow.... insurance is going to cover this but can someone help me how i can go about this..

since my front bumper is busted..i want to replace it with jdm evo 9 front bumper, upgraded intercooler and radiator... how can i go about doing this? i see alot of evo owners upgrade when they get involved in a accident... should i take it to a dealership for estimate and then what?? sorry..this is my first time involved in a car crash accident...
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

yes take it to the dealer for an estimate. They will have the highest one. Then tell your insurance your not sure where you are having the work done and they will cut a check to the owner of the car.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Call your insurance ask them which body shops they deal with regularly. A lot of the times they are trusted by the insurance company to make an estimate of what it would cost to replace the damaged parts with OEM parts. The ins. company may still want to send an adjuster out to look at it. Shop several shops to make sure the estimates are all pretty close.

Either way once they figure out what needs replacing talk to the guy at the body shop not the insurance adjuster about ordering some aftermarket parts to replace the damaged stock ones.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

ya.. an adjuster is coming out monday to look at it... so i could tell them that im not sure which shop i want to do it at? and they will write me a check?? never heard about doin it that way... wont they think im scamming them? i could replace all the damage parts myself so if they could write me a check..i could save some money cause i have $1000 deductible
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Scamming? Its your car you don't even need to fix it if you don't want to. I did that same thing when my old maxima got hit. and yes you could also say that your putting the cosmetic stuff on yourself
Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by J8dailo
ya.. an adjuster is coming out monday to look at it... so i could tell them that im not sure which shop i want to do it at? and they will write me a check?? never heard about doin it that way... wont they think im scamming them? i could replace all the damage parts myself so if they could write me a check..i could save some money cause i have $1000 deductible

Be careful about doing this though. The adjuster will only write the estimate for the damage he can see. A lot of the time there is more damage that will be found after the car is taken apart. This is where a body shop does whats called a supplement and gets the rest of the damage inspected and then paid for.
If you just take the money for yourself and find more damage, you might be out of luck.
I think your best bet is to find a trusted local body shop, take it to them and tell them what you would like to do. They will be able to work with you to get the parts you want.

edit: Is the damage your fault and you are making a claim through your insurance?
Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:01 AM
Pocket Mo

Find some local body shops and find a place that's willing to pick out the parts you would like. Many times aftermarket parts are cheaper and they have no qualms about pocketing the difference. Many times if the difference is a pretty big chunk, you don't even have to pay the deductible.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

its not my fault ...some drunk driver i think slammed on the gas going 70mph... 3 cars behind him crashed and he ran... i was one of them...

im close to AMS..they do colision repairs??? dont want to take it to dealership cause last time they did a sh1tty job... 4 exhaust manifold bolt were finger tight..exhaust leak like crazy
Old Oct 1, 2006, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

go get an estimate from the body shop the insurance recommends. the estimate will include parts and labor. ask them for a check they WILL GIVE IT TO YOU
Old Oct 2, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

i talked to my insurance company about giving me an estimate...they said i have to tow it to a body shop for the adjuster to give estimate and i should get it repair at the same shop if possible...car is currently at home right now...dont think they would tow to get estimate and tow it back home...
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

hey guys... bottom of my carbon fiber hood is cracked and the latch is half broken.... will in cover the hood in most cases even though its aftermarket???
Old Oct 3, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

ahh dude... the adjuster just came and they have no idea what parts are what... my intercooler is all twisted and bent and told them that needs to be replaced too....he told me no..thats a AC CONDENSOR..i keep tellin him thats not yet but he put down a ac condensor replacement...... im tryin to find a bodyshop around chicago which they knows what they are doing...