Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Took the Evo to ButtonWillow this weekend! Pics!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spdracerut
Hmm... I met an older guy last week and he mentioned these guys to me. I think his dad AND mom were rally racers?
Small world. They are good friends of mine and excellent drivers. They own Renner Motorsport not far from where you live, in Inglewood.

Their mother and father were pilot and co-pilot in Bulgaria. Due to changing regulations, they were split up because they had children together (the driver of the blue 2.5RS and the black sube shooting flames).

.... their father was killed in an accident not long afterward.

Well, that does sound like a bit of a freak accident. I have seen guys driving around with hairline cracks in their rotors though. Rotors may have been damaged/abused from the wrecked STi and not been visible. And I'd just be sketchy of taking parts from a wrecked car, kinda superstitous!
Yea. The car in question was t-boned. and only the mid-frame was bent, causing the car to be totaled. The rotors had been checked using a dye if i recall correctly which shows defects.

Looking at the pics of the Z06 vs. evo, that Z06 corners FLAT!

Yeah... that Z06 was heavily built. But in that photograph is the part of the turn called "the off ramp" where you take it way wide, cut hard and dive at a very very late apex. He was just to the point of turning the car flat.... much like I am in the third photo.

How did the swifts springs held up on the track?
They held up amazingly. Best setup cheaper than coil overs i've driven in an Evo. I could use a rear sway though. i would have liked to be able to get the rear end out a little more than i did.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Given equal drivers, I don't think a stock evo can keep up with a stock Z06 anywhere. Well, unless it's off road or snowing! It would still take probably a 500whp Evo with some serious suspension mods to keep up with a stock Z06.
i was referring to the evo's that have substantial mods which where also running there.

not sure if they ran on the same day as the Z06.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evobeaner
where you guys timed at all?
did any of the evo's keep up with the Z06.

There was an Evo in the red group that was pulling 2:16 or so. We were including the mazda turn as well as the long straight.... no "bus stop". we were running counter clockwise.

I personally don't believe that any Evo at the track that day could have kept up with that Z06 even with equal drivers. It was a monster.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

i was referring to the evo's that have substantial mods which where also running there.

not sure if they ran on the same day as the Z06.

One Evo out there was running probably 450-500whp. He was one of the fastest guys on the track. It was totally built, gutted, just two seats and a roll cage. And a beautifully built engine. He was running hoosiers as well.

A few cars were besting him, including a Z06 or two, a guy in a built Porsche GT2, and a couple others.

I'm not sure on exact times, it was just from my observation of the action.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

was it the white one?
hard to keep pace with the stock ones. modified one worse.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ Nope. It was graphite gray. The owner had it parked in front of Terry's (the yellow Z06's owner and instructor) trailer by the garages.

I saw a white one out there which was very fast as well. The whole right side of the rear end was black from running so rich. lol.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

cannot f****n wait to get Muellerized with some r- compounds.
sooner than later i hope.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew LB
^^^ Nope. It was graphite gray. The owner had it parked in front of Terry's (the yellow Z06's owner and instructor) trailer by the garages.

I saw a white one out there which was very fast as well. The whole right side of the rear end was black from running so rich. lol.
I believe the graphite gray one was Dan from Speedgallery. I was there with a silver evo and hung out with another graphite gray evo owner who ran blue group and had lap times of 2:07 or maybe better.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

^ barfly i presume!
whats up Mark. how did you do.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:18 PM

^ barfly i presume!
whats up Mark. how did you do.
My best was a 2:15 with a stock evo on RA-1's, mueller rear sway, bushings and alignment.

I put two wheels off coming out off the riverside sweeper going about 100 which spun me really bad. Only damage were some broken plastic clips holding the side skirt on and lower lip.

Cars were going off track left and right both Sat and Sun. Barfly went off track today during a session in the rain. I spun too, but not bad.

Last edited by denon728; Oct 1, 2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Sup Andrew,

This is Simon from Lucent Motors, I was there on friday, glad to hear you had fun with your evo, looking forward to see you there next time.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denon728
My best was a 2:15 with a stock evo on RA-1 with mueller rear sway, bushings and alignment.

I put two wheels off coming out off the riverside sweeper going about 100 which spun me really bad. Only damage were some broken plastic clips holding the side skirt on and lower lip.

Cars were going off track left and right both Sat and Sun. Barfly went off track today during a session in the rain. I spun too, but not bad.
what did the tires feel like compared to your previous one's. glad to hear you guy's did not damage anything too bad
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:27 PM

what did the tires feel like compared to your previous one's. glad to hear you guy's did not damage anything too bad
The grip is amazing compared to the 615's. There were times that I knew I would have spun if I had the 615's, but the RA-1's just stuck.
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denon728
The grip is amazing compared to the 615's. There were times that I knew I would have spun if I had the 615's, but the RA-1's just stuck.
good to hear that. hope to see you guys in the future.
by then my car should be properly prepared to haul ***
Old Oct 1, 2006, 10:49 PM

good to hear that. hope to see you guys in the future.
by then my car should be properly prepared to haul ***
NASA is running buttonwillow again in 2 weeks. Ill be there, but I dont think Barfly will be.

Quick Reply: Took the Evo to ButtonWillow this weekend! Pics!