Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Ticketed for stock exhaust. WTF!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My next door neighboor is a police officer and I helped a couple of my friends with Evos in the past like pj'sevo.

If something like that happens to any of you guys you can file a complaint on internal affairs. A complaint on internal affairs would significantly affect their careers when is time for promotion. These are type of events in which a police officer can be held accountable for.

Don't give up, not only this is a win to win situation but also you could suit the police station for many reasons:

False official statements
Incompetency
Unlawful ticket
misrepresentation of law
Harassment
Ultimately failure to lawfully and efectively perform their duties which is other than giving a ticket for a legal exhaust system

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:33 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After living in SoCal for 30 years and having mucho fast cars, it is a smog inspection for aftermarket parts as said above.

The Social Republic of California.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

i have an VIII but show them the mistu emblem on the muffler. i don't know if it will do any good but worth a shot.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by computerguy
I thought it was worse than that:

"Well I was leaving from the Edwards and turned into KFC. As soon as we pull in about five cops block us in and tell us to pop our hoods. I said no cuz my car is stock. They then said to pop it or im going to jail. I said you have no probably cause to inspect my car and said im not popping my hood. They then said I had a loud muffler(which isnt loud at all). I had my video camera in my lap so I was going to start recording them. As soon as I opened the lens on the camera the cop reached through the window and opened my door. Then he grabbed my arm and cuffed me! My buddy got the whole thing on tape so I think its time to go to court!"

some cops suck
If you live in Fresno I think I know where you were. I always stay away from Blackstone and River Park with my Evo. Too many idiots around there anyways. I've had people spit on my Evo and throw stuff at it. I don't know how many people I've had to follow and beat down. Too many haters in this town. But for what happened to you I think you can hand that cop his *** in court. This ish is getting rediculous. Good luck.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:40 PM

Here's a funny video of some guys from Fresno:

http://media.putfile.com/cops-owned48

*didn't mean to hijack the thread, just thought it applied*

Last edited by computerguy; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:42 PM
Account Disabled

I've had more trouble with the people here in Fresno than with Cops.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:42 PM

Sucks to hear that. I would also go and file a complaint just to prove how some cops are naive and profilers.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:54 PM

you should have let him arrest you. I would have been take me to jail. He had no right. You would have alot of mod money with the lawsuit for false arrest
Old Oct 2, 2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by TogueMonster
I've had more trouble with the people here in Fresno than with Cops.
WORD!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Thats exactly what happened

Originally Posted by computerguy
I thought it was worse than that:

"Well I was leaving from the Edwards and turned into KFC. As soon as we pull in about five cops block us in and tell us to pop our hoods. I said no cuz my car is stock. They then said to pop it or im going to jail. I said you have no probably cause to inspect my car and said im not popping my hood. They then said I had a loud muffler(which isnt loud at all). I had my video camera in my lap so I was going to start recording them. As soon as I opened the lens on the camera the cop reached through the window and opened my door. Then he grabbed my arm and cuffed me! My buddy got the whole thing on tape so I think its time to go to court!"

some cops suck
Yup that's what happened when I first got pulled over and got the fix it ticket. I was pulled over before by a bike cop and he told me to pop my hood. My car was stock so I said "sir, my car is completely stock. What probable cause do you have to inspect my motor?" He said my muffler. I said it was stock. He then walked back to his bike for about 5 mins until another bike and a squad car came. Then another cop came up to my window and started taliking to me. I told what I told the first officer and he said I was absolutley right. They didnt make me pop my hood and I was on my way. Well I did the exact same thing the second time but it things turned out different. I do have it on tape but it didnt come out very good. Some people are telling me to take them to court and others tell me there is nothing I can do about it. So I didnt know what to do
Old Oct 2, 2006, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

Here in Az I got pulled over when I had my srt with stock exhaust on it. The cop was like IM pulling you over because your exhaust is too loud.

I was like "dude its stock." he told me not to "bull****, a bull****ter." and then asked me if it had a muffler.

I was like "no it doesnt come with one from the factory"

he of course didnt believe me, and said he was going to write me a ticket. Thats when I told him.

"In the state of Az, a turbo counts as a sound deadening device so the use of a muffler isint required by law, coupled with the fact that it comes without a muffler, but does come with two resonators form the factory make this a court case you wont win."

He told me to "slow it down!" and got in his car and drove off.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 08:32 PM

In my book of top 10 things not to tell a cop...

"I have probable cause to suspect you're gay, but i didn't ask you to prove it"

I've never had any luck fighting a ticket... even years ago when I had a BEATER neon ...my wife got pulled over about 75 yards after being at complete stop at a light going 51MPH in a 35, i called BS...I even tried getting to 51 MPH in 75 yards...shoot....0-60 in a week...getting on the freeway was hard enough :-).

Anyways, wish you luck, but personally suggest you file a complaint and let it drop there.

A lot of Fresno Cops = ...so do a lot of cops elsewhere...

Love my evo...0-60 in whoa....
Old Oct 2, 2006, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

My honest opinion ...

It wouldn't surprise me if the officer that gave you the ticket
is extrememely stressed out.

He probably gets tired off reporting to accident scenes where
cars are wrecked and peoples bodies are splattered all over
the asphault. That might have a tendency to get to some people
after while .

Never-the-less I can see how you would be frustrated under the
circumstances. I would be too.

Hopefully you wont get pulled over anymore... If so then perhaps the
next officer will handle the situation with more professionalism and wisdom.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Why is no one acknowledging the fact that it was probably his defiance to the cop that caused the cop's frustration?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Got an exhaust ticket on my IX with dealer tags still on it. The cop told me that it was not stock and got into an arguement with me. He then told me that he was going to give me a warning if I didn't argue with him but now he was writing me a ticket. So he did. The next night I filed a report with IA and guess what... He called apologizing for the incident and scrapped the ticket. Make sure you take charge

Quick Reply: Ticketed for stock exhaust. WTF!