Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I think I own the worlds most poorly built EVO

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I call BS on this..
Old Oct 3, 2006, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

wow i feel sorry for the car to go thru this pain hahah
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rd33964
Why would you mod a messed up car?
Cause I ended up getting a freebee exhaust system. Then the car worked fine for about 4 months so I kept modding it. Then one day it all went to hell, stopped modding it. Got Dynoflashed hoping that'd fix the timing pulling problems which it did. Then it worked for awhile then it went to hell again.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Smokedmustang easily has the worlds most poorly built evo. Everything bad has happened to him.

Also for the most part, The car treats you the way you treat it. There is no way you could have gone thru the amount of drivetrain parts that you have unless you beat the holy sh*t outta it.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:36 PM
mjo

Originally Posted by SpyderBite
Cause I ended up getting a freebee exhaust system. Then the car worked fine for about 4 months so I kept modding it. Then one day it all went to hell, stopped modding it. Got Dynoflashed hoping that'd fix the timing pulling problems which it did. Then it worked for awhile then it went to hell again.
Could be a bad computer chip. If a memory goes bad in a laptop the computer reacts strangely intermittantly until it finally shuts down and won't reboot. See if you can borrow an AES EMS from someone and see if this replacement EMS will help. If it does you know you have a bad chip.

mjo
Old Oct 3, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

holy crap! if this is legit then it is completely rediculous 4 clutches 5 sets of rotors ?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mjo
Could be a bad computer chip. If a memory goes bad in a laptop the computer reacts strangely intermittantly until it finally shuts down and won't reboot. See if you can borrow an AES EMS from someone and see if this replacement EMS will help. If it does you know you have a bad chip.

mjo
I'll see if I can do that. Cause the only problems i've had lately seem to be electrical. The tranny has been fine for awhile (minus 4th gear) rotors haven't warped in awhile, axels seemed to be doing ok. I know a lot of the bumps and bruises were probably due to the horrible road conditions we have here.

Oh and I forgot to mention, the dealer did call and the motor did not crank walk. Apparently when I hit a road cone earlier in the week, something got torn up and finally popped off. I have to go in tomorrow to talk to them and get more details on it. But they said they got the motor fired up again.

Is there a way to check the computer chip without having to get a standalone system to see if that'll fix it?

Cause after the dynoflash it ran great even put down some damn good numbers on the dyno compared to my old tune I had.

Originally Posted by scott yo
holy crap! if this is legit then it is completely rediculous 4 clutches 5 sets of rotors ?
1st clutch I would admit was my bad probably lol...2nd clutch I had was rated to hold 500hp/tq...I figured it was the shops mistake on a bad install, clutch felt wierd from day one. 3rd clutch lasted about a month, and the one I have in now has been in for about 5 months now. The rotors no one could figure out, they would get replaced and within a few weeks they would be warped.

Last edited by SpyderBite; Oct 3, 2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Time to turn it back to stock, then park it in the ghetto overnight for like 3 days.
Be sure to have gap insurance! LOL
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SP00LIN
Time to turn it back to stock, then park it in the ghetto overnight for like 3 days.
Be sure to have gap insurance! LOL
I think I have gap insurance not sure lol...but there's plenty of ghetto to park it in STL.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolving Member

hello
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by draconx
hello

HI
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Umm, I know you said you dont drive hard, but I find that hard to believe.

First, you have mods. Most people dont put on mods to go slow, only to go faster (& harder).

Also, you dont go though 4 clutches because your cars broken. You go though 4 clutches when each one of them isinstalled wrong (unlikely) or someone abuses the car (likely).

If Im wrong on all this stuff and your car really is the worst car ever, then...

GOOD LUCK and hope everything gets better.

Also, I would stay away from Las Vegas or anything else that needs luck.
I'd hate to disagree with you, but I have two modded cars, one moreso than the other, an I really don't beat the Hell out of either one of them. I just love cars and love having the power, moreso than just driving at WOT all the time. I just love the sounds and the feelings of a modded up car.

I won't say that I've never mashed the throttle, or taken them out for a high-octane gasoline-wasting run, but I have never done excessive burnouts (none in one, few in the other), nor have I ever hard-launched my STi.

As for the lemon law, the stuff going on with his car isn't happening 3x's over for the most part, except for his brakes. He might be able to claim that he had over 3 problems with the same part and use the brakes as his "Ace card," but who knows. Even though there are procedures for getting your money back or getting a new car because of a lemon law, it's not a walk in the park. A manufacturer isn't just going to say, "Oh, we're sorry. Here's a new car!"
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
^ I did say "most". It fine if your not in the "most" category.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After reading all of this, I'd point a finger at a horrible mechanic ... To cite a couple of reasons, rotors and clutches (usually) wouldn't magically go bad just because they're put on a crappily buit car. Your calipers or hubs would have to be mis-manufactured to make the rotors go bad so fast. The same idea applies to the clutch as well. Chances are slim-to-none that all these problems just exist without no explination. If the fact is that you have randomly "mis-molded" parts or something, a decent mechanic would catch it.

If the Mitsu dealer is doing this work, I'd take it somewhere for a second opinion. I know that same dealerships, like Mercedes, have only one person trained to work on the performance cars. I think there is a chance that the Evo mechanic your dealership has might just suck.

Honestly, no car has that many problems without someone doing something stupid ... repeatedly.
Old Oct 4, 2006, 03:40 AM
Account Disabled

Hmm I dont know. I drive my car super hard everywhere, and launch here and there. In the time I've had my 05 GSR, close to 2 yrs and 22K mi, I am now replacing my OEM clutch. Now when you replace your clutch its never good to go with an OEM, you just don't do that, its not worth the money. I can't imagine having to replace it 4 times in the same amount of time. I'm guessing either the car gets beat regularly or whoever is performing the maintenance on this vehicle straight up sucks. If you are an average driver you should have no problems considering the abuse I put my Evo through. The odds that you bought a retarded Evo are slim. Things I've done to my Evo, it still working like new, I honestly can't take your side. But I will say that I'd never run a Dynoflash. You can make more power, have a safer tune, and peace of mind by getting a real Dyno tune for a little more. No two Evos are the same....Cookie cutter flashes FTL!

Quick Reply: I think I own the worlds most poorly built EVO