Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Would you wanna learn to fix your own evo...?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you wanna learn to fix your own evo...?

Been doin some brain storming and wanted to see if this concept would work.

Basically, What if there was a nice facility, well equiped with every tool needed for any job from maintanance to full blown engine building.
You bring your car in for what ever the mod or repair is and we provided a skilled technician to assist you with questions, anwsers, and the best way to do things.
Basically you rent the tech and the tools for minimum of 1 hour. As far as cost....?, I was thinking like 30.00 to 50.00 an hour. It's all still in the works.

What do you guys think?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:57 AM

quoting lil jon..

Do it do it do it do it..
Old Oct 3, 2006, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

if the facility is nicely equipped and clean, i wont mind paying $100
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:00 PM
Evolved Member

not a bad idea but could get pricey especially if you are starting out everything takes longer. would probably be cheaper to just have someone do everything for you at 70/hr as opposed to you payin to do it yourself at 50/hr because it would take half the time for someone that has done it many times.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

i was thinking the same thing. becuase i like to work on my car but i dont know how to do everything i want to do. and im afraid to tackle it my self incase i screw up. lastnight i sent a email out to all the local junk yards asking if they had an evo motor that i could buy to mess around on and build up tell i can swap it out for the one in my car now. so if i mess up my car isnt dead and some one could help me out
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:10 PM

Itd be neat if you and a few buddies or some trained techs worked there, but you pay them like 40 an hr to help you, like guide you along the way of what your doing. Not having them do it and not them just showing or telling you what to do, but hands-on with them. Thats how youll learn things. I love doing stuff to my car, its fun learning about your car and the engine and everything and its good to know too
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Are you thinkin bout just focusing on evos?
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOL EDO
not a bad idea but could get pricey especially if you are starting out everything takes longer. would probably be cheaper to just have someone do everything for you at 70/hr as opposed to you payin to do it yourself at 50/hr because it would take half the time for someone that has done it many times.
Exactly, so having a tech that knows the short cuts will save time and knowing the easiest way is always a plus! ......Like if you didnt have to remove this to remove that kinda thing. Little things make a huge difference sometimes.
Safety. I think this is offten over looked. Some people dont even know how and where to jack a vehicle up!
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Essentially at the price your aiming for, it's just about the same as having someone else do the work for you with the exception that you'll learn how to do it in the future and thus avoid having to pay for it ever again. I like the concept as many of us really would want to do the work ourselves but the main problem I see is that your vision requires a large enough facility, and skilled mechanics that I can't seem to figure out how you could pay for it all with so much time being dedicated to each person willing to be trained. I think the best bet would be to actually own a shop and make money off of that. If people are willing to learn then they can come in the back and the tech will teach them. The other problem with that is that if they get hurt or something falls on them.. you could techincally get sued, unless they all sign a waiver that this is like a school and you are at your own risk. The idea is good but there is alot to be worked out before it becomes a reality. The other main problem I forsee is, you'll have to target different car audiences. I can't see the evo holding up your entire business for too long.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

i was thinking the same thing one day to pay and work on my own car on their lift. i can get done what i need to without hassle and some dude doing it wrong for me and without the pain of jack stands.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRFTKNGG
Exactly, so having a tech that knows the short cuts will save time and knowing the easiest way is always a plus! ......Like if you didnt have to remove this to remove that kinda thing. Little things make a huge difference sometimes.
Safety. I think this is offten over looked. Some people dont even know how and where to jack a vehicle up!
having a tech could help but id be more likely to do it at 30/hr than 50/hr just because at 70/hr i could just hire someone and not have to cut my hands on the radiator fan hahaha. but it would be interesting to be able to rent out lifts and tools, id be interested in it if i was close by, crawling under the car can get tiresome. but i dont think insurance companies would be too happy insuring a business that allows non licensed techs to work on cars. you would have to look into that too if you were going to do it.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

liability. If someone gets hurt while working on their car @ this shop you can say goodbye to your business. There is a reason why 95% of the shops dont allow you to go under the car while they are working on it, hell some don't let you even into the garage.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Good idea, but you'd have to worry about those a**holes that are going to steal some tools and stuff. As far as the liability thing, you could make everyone sign something saying you work at your own risk. And with all those tools and expensive things in there that's open to the public, you'd need a really good security system. lol
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff1121
Are you thinkin bout just focusing on evos?
Lol....I would love to anwser this question with a big YES!....but you have to be open to the fact that there are not enough evo owners to solely support an operation of this magnatude. A nice big clean shop. Top of the line snap-on equipment, balancers, alignment rack, lifts, dyno, all tha goods!

I have a few investor that love my idea. But I wanted to get some feed back.
I work on all my friends evos and other cars. I went to UTI in Arizona and I can fix almost anything. For me all this is normal, fixing cars, fabricating. It's like second nature to me almost.
I loved UTI, but $14,000 later, I wish I had gone a different route had there been one.....Enter....this idea! Why pay for all the BS you wont even remember!

You drive to the shop, fill out some paperwork. Done deal. We will have techs on hand just for you. You wanna change a clutch......Tech goes over the basics, pulls and checks out the tools, tranny jack, fluids, that are needed. Also have all repair manuals available on a computer station for a techinical data. And if you just wanna pay a tech to do it, we can provide that also.

Guys I am talking about the works!
Education, Parts, Food, Tatoo shop...lol maybe.
Old Oct 3, 2006, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DanJ
liability. If someone gets hurt while working on their car @ this shop you can say goodbye to your business. There is a reason why 95% of the shops dont allow you to go under the car while they are working on it, hell some don't let you even into the garage.
That is what insurance is for. I have a friend that write commercial binders for commercial property. He is checking on the laws and what I will need. But I thought this would be where most issues with this will lye.

Plus....In schools, auto shop, you were allowed to work on cars.