Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Test Drove EVO - My driving impression

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2003, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Evilution
I hope that's a Boxster S you were driving cuz I've driven the plain old Boxster and most of those numbers should be 2 ranks down compared to the Evo at least. The engine a 7 !!!? That thing is gutless and gives no frills.
The Boxster in question was not the "S". Rather it was a 2.7, 228 bhp engine with manual transmission. From a roll, this Boxster in not much slower than the EVO. The reason the EVO feels so fast in comparison has to do with it's explosive onset of boost at just under 3k.

In addition, my rating of the engine also includes subjective criteria such as throttle response and engine sound, both areas where the Boxster beats the EVO. However, the EVO's power advantage allows it to even out the score.

As far as handling, I drove the Boxster on a SOLO1-style medium speed course. Cornering speeds on the course ranged from 30 mph to 70 mph. Although the Boxster lacks the EVO's outright grip and lightning fast turn-in, it does exhibit one of the best throttle-steerable chassis this side of a 355. Add the Boxster's uncanny ability to send the driver honest messages via steering resistance and weight transfer, and you end up with a truly involving driving experience. At 7/10, the Boxster feels ordinary. But at 10/10, you will come to the realization that Porsche has created an extraordinary car, one that offers a very involving drive along with a surprisingly compliant ride. About the only thing stopping me from buying a Boxster is my need for 4 doors.

Last edited by 97itr153; May 9, 2003 at 02:11 PM.
Old May 9, 2003, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Leadfoot

I would say 97itr153's observations are dead-on for a 2.7. One of the amazing things that Porsche has always been able to occomplish is surperior roadholding/handling WITHOUT a harsh ride. It is VERY difficult to occomplish, and very few other makes have managed it.

No, having said all that, perhaps you drove a 2.5, one of the cars from the first three years, that car was pretty sluggish.

Michael
I have not driven a Boxter, so I cannot opine on it's ride, etc. I did drive my mother in law's 944 which had about 20K miles and was pretty much in immaculate condition. I've also driven a brand new 911 Cabrio (the last of the air cooled engines) as well as a couple of older 911's an a 356C. It would be silly to say that all Porsches have stellar ride quality along with great handling. Everything is relative, the Cabrio was undoubtedly a fantastic machine. I'd love to own one. The others were all fun to drive but did not have the ride, power and luxury of the Cabrio....

Now, what does this have to do with the EVO?.. Well, I just got back from a 1500 mile round trip from Atlanta to Miami and I was astonished and pleased with the comfort offered by the EVO. Personally, I thought it was more comfortable than the WRX I traded for it and frankly, I was less tired after driving this car than just about any car I've driven in the last few years. I don't know why this is. I know that the ride is very firm and the noise level is fairly high, but the overall driveability of this car is so good that it does not tire me out as much as other cars with "cushy" rides.

Other than this, I think the evaluation of the EVO vs. all the other cars seems fair and accurate. Again, I've not driven some of those other cars but I've driven a good number of others and my opinion would be very similar. The EVO is undoubtedly a fantastic car, specially for the money
Old May 9, 2003, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

so thats where u have been silverevo...

well would u be willing to help me sell my car so i can join the Evo Elite
Old May 9, 2003, 05:28 PM

I will put it as my friend says it about his Boxster. The car is about looks and vanity. That's it. It's not for performance.
HAAA, OK Bo Bo. I am gonna let you live in ignorance, its not worth my time.

Man that was funny though!

97itr153 has it figured out, dead on. Nice explanation.

Michael
Old May 9, 2003, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

There's far more to an engine's "rating" than power output. If the most powerful motor in the world sounds like a terminally ill Hoover vacuum and has an idle lumpier than cold oatmeal, it's going to be hard to fully enjoy it's power.

Some of the most enjoyable cars in the world have acceleration times that are at best considered average.

Cheers,

Paul Hansen