Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by llxzxll
why is there still people claiming the existance of a JDM "crash" bar?
I thought it turned out to be the license plate holder correct me if I am wrong. At least having some form of a crash bar in place is better than nothing, just incase someone does look behind to see if something is in place.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:56 PM

wow this is cool
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by boostless
+1000

There is no R&D time to prove the abilities of this crashbar, therefore the cost seems a little inflated. Looking at this i could ask a shop to fab that. No offense, but 200-250 is a "decent" (loosely used) price. Let your buddies know.
Actually, the guy I had fab this for me spent a lot of time making sure this fit my car perfectly. No crash tests were done but the part was designed so it would absorb the impact from a crash. Crush structures are incorporated into the mount that don't show up very well in the photos. It's just my opinion, but I believe this bar will provide my car with at least the same protection as the stock one did. It also provides structural support to the JDM bumper cover because of the way it is formed. As for the cost, the price I paid was based on his shop labor rate x hours spent working on the part plus the material. I don't know if he will change that. Maybe if he was building several at the same time, the setup time could be spread out over all. I know that I'm very happy with the part and I felt the price was fair considering what was delivered.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Do the IX bumpers start to sag after a bit with no support underneath them?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
/\
|
Was just wonder the same thing earlier today...
Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

i feel you could make 20 bucks or so off each one and sell em for 350 or so and alot of people will buy it cuz its cheaper than not having insurance cover your rear in a accident because of you not having a crash bar....
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

nice piece!
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

A local friend of mine ordered the JDM "crash bar" about a year ago from MITSUBISHIPARTS.NET and got the bar before he got his bumper. The piece definately exists, i saw it with my own eyes~
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i doubt any insurance adjuster would even give you the money becasue its not DOT certified.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

What's the insurance company gonna do if you dont have the crash beam? Deny your entire insurance?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RED DEMON
A local friend of mine ordered the JDM "crash bar" about a year ago from MITSUBISHIPARTS.NET and got the bar before he got his bumper. The piece definately exists, i saw it with my own eyes~
Just cause you saw it doesnt mean thats what it is, this was already talked about, and people ordered it an saw it, it is not a "crash beam" it just supports the bumper but does nothing near what a US crash beam would do.
This is my understanding.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NaorisG
Just cause you saw it doesnt mean thats what it is, this was already talked about, and people ordered it an saw it, it is not a "crash beam" it just supports the bumper but does nothing near what a US crash beam would do.
This is my understanding.
This is correct
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:57 AM
Yur
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by carguy1948
I have an 03 Evo that I changed the rear bumper cover to the JDM Evo IX bumper cover. Since the stock crash bar didn't fit I worked with a local fabricator had had this made. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Since it doesn't show with the bumper cover installed I thought I would show it off here. It bolts to the stock location and has tabs for the license plate and slots for the license plate lights.
I am very interested in getting this mod. The price is right. I just have the following questions:

1. How well does this beam support the bumper? The OEM US bumper is supported by a support plate (besides the crash beam). How well does the JDM bumper sit? What is it held by?
2. How much time does it take to install this beam and what kind of tools are required?
3. How much time would it take to get one to NJ from the point of order?

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Yur
I am very interested in getting this mod. The price is right. I just have the following questions:

1. How well does this beam support the bumper? The OEM US bumper is supported by a support plate (besides the crash beam). How well does the JDM bumper sit? What is it held by?
2. How much time does it take to install this beam and what kind of tools are required?
3. How much time would it take to get one to NJ from the point of order?

Thanks!
To answer your questions:
1. The crash beam is independent of the bumper cover except for two bolts in the middle that also attach the license plate.
2. Depending on your skill level, it could take from 1 to 2 hours. You will need a 10mm and 12mm wrench, and a flat head and philips head screw drivers.
3. It will be shipping from the west coast, so I would guess about 5 days shipping time.

I talked with the fabricator and he said that he is going to built ten of these. He also said that he will be able to spread out the setup time over all ten so the price will go down to $280 each + shipping. Send me a PM if interested.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:58 PM
Yur
Evolving Member

Sweet. PM sent.

Quick Reply: Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper