Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2007, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked up the DOT's testing requirements for low-speed impacts to the rear bumper. Testing is done by:

1) Impact using a pendulum device twice on the rear surface at 2.5 MPH,
2) Impact using a pendulum device once on each corner of the bumper at 1.5 MPH, and
3) Impact into a “fixed collision barrier” while traveling rearward at 2.5 MPH.

The criteria for passing includes: lamps (except license plate lamps) don’t crack, the trunk still opens, no leaks or constrictions of fuel or cooling systems (both lines and caps), no leaks or constrictions of the exhaust, suspension and brakes work OK, and no fastener damage other than where the “bumper face bar” connects to the chassis frame.

It sounds like the huge crash bar Mitsu puts in US Evos is almost overkill for these 2.5/1.5 MPH impacts :P. This custom bar appears that it will surely handle these requirements, including the corner impacts. Actually, I think if you trimmed the OEM crash bar, it’d probably fail the corner impact tests, given what others have said about how much you’d need to trim. So this custom bar seems to be a good solution.

I got this information from the DOT's bumper standard, available here:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...cfr581_06.html
Old Feb 28, 2007, 03:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job
Old May 23, 2007, 12:34 AM

$200-250 maybe right to most people. Way too much money if made overseas. But $320.00 for a custom "one-off" part cleany done, TIG welded, capped and welded at the ends with gussets(detail AKA "finish work"), and fits...................is actually a good deal. Everyone is so cheap.

And as far the JDM crash beam goes, I have never seen one that does anymore than support the bumber and/or license plate.

So has anyone with a JDM rear bumper w/o a crash beam been rear ended yet? And were they SOL with their insurance?

Originally Posted by carguy1948
Actually, the guy I had fab this for me spent a lot of time making sure this fit my car perfectly. No crash tests were done but the part was designed so it would absorb the impact from a crash. Crush structures are incorporated into the mount that don't show up very well in the photos. It's just my opinion, but I believe this bar will provide my car with at least the same protection as the stock one did. It also provides structural support to the JDM bumper cover because of the way it is formed. As for the cost, the price I paid was based on his shop labor rate x hours spent working on the part plus the material. I don't know if he will change that. Maybe if he was building several at the same time, the setup time could be spread out over all. I know that I'm very happy with the part and I felt the price was fair considering what was delivered.
Old May 23, 2007, 02:04 AM

Crash bars are over rated. The trick is not to hit anything
Old May 23, 2007, 02:17 AM
Evolving Member

nice looks better
Old May 23, 2007, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

Usually rear end crashes are where they hit YOU. Ever seen a car folded into an accordion at a stoplight? It ain't pretty

Originally Posted by DarwinsProject
Crash bars are over rated. The trick is not to hit anything
Old Oct 7, 2007, 01:56 AM
Evolved Member

nice...i may want to get one of these =]
Old Oct 7, 2007, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Funny that no one has chimed in that actually has a JDM bumper installed to give feedback on real world fittament, sag, or insurance woes.

If you've got this piece, you'd have to work with the adjuster (assuming he'll agree to purchase the part) to accomodate the JDM bumper. They're only obligated to repair or replace parts with "like kind and quality".
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MRevo2006
Funny that no one has chimed in that actually has a JDM bumper installed to give feedback on real world fittament, sag, or insurance woes.

If you've got this piece, you'd have to work with the adjuster (assuming he'll agree to purchase the part) to accomodate the JDM bumper. They're only obligated to repair or replace parts with "like kind and quality".

+1
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRevo2006

I purchased mine from carguy1948 and had it installed about 7 months ago.
This crash bar appeared to be well made imo.
Perfect fitment w/o any modding to the bar or the bumper and no sag.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

That's good info. A good friend of mine is looking to do something like this, and I may follow suit one day in the future. Thanks for the input!
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:58 PM
Account Disabled

Or, you could modify the stock one for less than $100 if you have someone do it for you.

Or you could use a dremel, cut what needs to be cut yourself, take it to a welder and have him weld it for a 6 pack of beer, or $20 or so
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

If you cut the stock crash beam there will be nothing left. That was my intention until I got in there and realized cutting the stocker would just be stupid and more work than it is worth and kill all the structural integrity of the part. So I did this instead:

This isnt as good as a bumper of course but it is better than nothing and will distribute the load to both factory mounting points if hit from the rear the way the stocker does. BTW, I used 2x2 tubing, welded on end caps, painted, and grade 8 hardware. You like???

Last edited by TURBevO8; Dec 3, 2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 09:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good stuff Way to go for diy'ers
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Nice!! I had my body shop modify the OEM crash bar to fit my IX JDM bumper

Quick Reply: Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper