Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper

I have an 03 Evo that I changed the rear bumper cover to the JDM Evo IX bumper cover. Since the stock crash bar didn't fit I worked with a local fabricator had had this made. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Since it doesn't show with the bumper cover installed I thought I would show it off here. It bolts to the stock location and has tabs for the license plate and slots for the license plate lights.
Attached Thumbnails Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper-both-bumpers.jpg   Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper-car.jpg  
Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:37 PM

Better photos

The first pics I put sucked. These might be better. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper-better-view.jpg   Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper-better-2.jpg   Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper-better3.jpg   Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper-better4.jpg  
Old Oct 6, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Definitly better!. :}
What is the material it will be made out of? What's the total weight of the brace?
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:12 PM

It's 1-3/4" x .120 wall mild steel and weighs 16 pounds (about the same as the stock one.)
Old Oct 6, 2006, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
You have the infamous rust spots where the crash bar bolts up I see it on the left side. I fixed mine the other day. Its a common issue. Oh well nice bar you had fabbed up. You should have the guy mass produce them
Old Oct 6, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ +1
Old Oct 6, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha plz pm me when this happen! i want to get one!
Old Oct 6, 2006, 04:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice!
Old Oct 6, 2006, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
How close (or far away) is the stock bar from fitting with the JDM rear cover? Do you think a little trimming would do, or is there just no way you could ever use it at all?

That custom unit is pretty nice looking. I bet you could easily sell quite a few of them!

EVOlutionary
Old Oct 6, 2006, 06:31 PM

thanks

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
How close (or far away) is the stock bar from fitting with the JDM rear cover? Do you think a little trimming would do, or is there just no way you could ever use it at all?

That custom unit is pretty nice looking. I bet you could easily sell quite a few of them!

EVOlutionary
I would have had to really hack up the stock one and even then it wouldn't have supported the new cover. Besides, if I ever decide to put the stock cover back on I want to have all the parts (that comes from having an old mustang). Also, this one was designed to absorb some of the impact and transfer the shock to the frame like the stock one.
I'll talk to the fabricator to see if he wants to make more. We spent quite a while getting this one right so at least the hard part is done.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
You have the infamous rust spots where the crash bar bolts up I see it on the left side. I fixed mine the other day. Its a common issue. Oh well nice bar you had fabbed up. You should have the guy mass produce them
I was a little surprised that the factory didn't paint or plate the stock crash bar. I had my new one powder coated.
I talked with the fab shop and he said he would make as many as I want. I paid $320 total for mine and he said that he would hold that price.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Any chance he could make them out of chromoly instead of mild steel to save 10lbs?
Old Oct 7, 2006, 02:05 PM

very nice, but from the way it looks, the bar upon impact will simply bend downwards towards the L on the bracket. But either way, it's still a good mod!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jdmstop
very nice, but from the way it looks, the bar upon impact will simply bend downwards towards the L on the bracket. But either way, it's still a good mod!
Thanks. It's a little hard to see in the photos, but there are gussets that support the L brackets. They would transfer the impact load to the factory attachment points. Hopefully, I'll never need to see how well this works.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Wow $320.....Anyone know what the JDM Crash bar costs to get a hold of??

Quick Reply: Crash bar for JDM Evo IX bumper