Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking noise

Basically its as the title reads. Ive been noticing a pretty loud knocking noise while driving and while at idle. As far as while driving it only happens on smaller bump and it sounds like its coming from the driverside rear. I checked all the bolts on the suspension on that side minus the upper strut bolts cause i couldnt figure out how to get to them. Through the trunk? The previous owner also had Tein S-techs installed which will be changed out for Espeiler or Swift springs come Xmas. As far as while ldling it doesnt happen all the time and its intermintent. It sounds like it might be coming from the front of the car and i cant hear it while outside the car only inside. I honestly think it just might be the TBE bumping up against something and echoing inside the cabin, but its not really a sound like metal would make. Its a knock not a pinging type noise. I know there was a thead just made about it, but that was while driving and nothing really got resolved in that thread. I appricate all help and input. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What exhaust do you have?
The resonator on my HKS was hitting the knuckle joint in the driveshaft when i first got it.

It definitely sounds to me like its something with your exhaust.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Could be your exhaust hitting under you car get under there an wiggle it a little to see if you can reproduce it
Old Oct 8, 2006, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Ive got the buschur racing turbo back. Yet again previous owner installed it. It wiggled the exhaust from the rear and it was knocking up against something, but it was plainly audiable from the outside and it was metal on metal. Who knows it could just sound like a knocking noise on the inside though. Thanks for the inputs so far!
Old Oct 8, 2006, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Forgot to mention it was the 1st generation Buschur racing TBE.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

No one else have this problem or any other suggestions?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tripperfx3
Forgot to mention it was the 1st generation Buschur racing TBE.
If it's the Buschur system with those horrid band clamps, then I'd bet money that this is the source of your problem.

I made the mistake of ordering a full 3" TBE + cat from Buschur. The quality of the parts was good...but those band clamps are total garbage. It's shameful that Buschur sells an exhaust system that's held together so cheaply. Within a few months, I started getting rattles and developed an exhaust leak. Replacing the clamps helped...for a while. Then it all started again. On top of that, the "high-flow cat" he sold me (a generic, ceramic-core Catco piece of junk) died. A $1000+ exhuast system that barely lasted 2 years

Emre
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
If it's the Buschur system with those horrid band clamps, then I'd bet money that this is the source of your problem.

I made the mistake of ordering a full 3" TBE + cat from Buschur. The quality of the parts was good...but those band clamps are total garbage. It's shameful that Buschur sells an exhaust system that's held together so cheaply. Within a few months, I started getting rattles and developed an exhaust leak. Replacing the clamps helped...for a while. Then it all started again. On top of that, the "high-flow cat" he sold me (a generic, ceramic-core Catco piece of junk) died. A $1000+ exhuast system that barely lasted 2 years

Emre
Thanks for the info. The slip-design really is pretty crappy for an exhaust system. Ive got the test pipe though not the cat. It does seem to rattle alot and ill probably end up replacing the full turbo back when i get the cash.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:49 PM

yes yes ive seen this problem
Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

So survey says the exhaust is making the knocking sound even intermitnley at idle?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Ive got the RMR catback on my IX and its tapping right at what appears to be a safety loop just aft of the cat around the driveshaft which I havent seen on an 8. I am gonna throw it on a rack for a better adjustment... any suggestions...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

??