Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A vote for the High flow cats

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+ Runing w/o the cat makes your interior smell like fumes not to mention the black soot all over your bumper. All my DSMs smelled like exhaust from running with no cat. I couldn't smell it cause I was used to it though. I just got tired of everybody telling me that my car stunk.

I bought a 3" stainless HFC from Jegs, cut a section out of my test pipe and welded each end to the cat. Make sure to keep the overall length and flange yaw the same.

Last edited by EVO8emUp; Oct 10, 2006 at 09:06 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
^ This is what I would have to do as well. in order to switch to a high flow cat. Since I dont have a test pipe per say to take the place of the stock cat. Oh and my car doesnt smell bad at all no one has ever told me that either sure you dont have an exhaust leak. The funny thing is that with our test pipes we probably still put out less emmissions than your buddy Iroc, Camaro, Mustang, or F350

Last edited by gsrboi80; Oct 10, 2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Varrius
The earth has lived through two ice ages, over ten catastrophic meteor impacts, countless earth quakes and volcanic eruptions(which let out much more deadly gases than your little car). I have a problem with environmentalists, because I think they're selfish. We will all one day die out like every other species before us. That doesn't mean the earth will. The carbon monoxide from your car will not change the earths lifespan. Its not going to blow up. It's not going to hurt the planet one bit. It will be here, long after you go.
It is amazing to believe that we have people this naive in this day and age.... ignorance is truly bliss. Yes the world did survive two ice ages and everything else stated above but over the past 50 or so years average daily temps have consistently gone up due to pollution, this year florida had the highest average temps in floridas history, they broke records they set last year and the year before. that was not caused by a volcano or some other natural occurance, tha was due to pollution by humans. If you do your research you will see the effect that people are having on the world, and we are hurting the earth, i am not saying that we have to sell our cars and go back to riding horses to stop the pollution or to stop modding and enjoying our cars, but it can be done responsibly. there are aprox 112,736,101 million drivers in america (U.S census 2000) and that was 6 years ago. If all driver had the mentality that they wont affect it imagine where we would be......
Yes we will die before the earth ends but we dont have to leave a ****ty place for our kids and grand kids to live in. And it can be fixed if we wanted but again just like our congress men if it wont affect us in our lifetime then we dont care. We have that mentality why should we expect any better from the people we put in power???

And if your Rep in congress aint doing **** about get off your *** and get involved in doing something about that. its time we stop making excuses for everything and start making an effort. everybody is always complaining and pointing the finger somewhere else but nobody tries to fix **** anymore while we all get ****ed and they get rich.

Last edited by RealVibes.net; Oct 10, 2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Our recorded history of weather is too short to make these kind of claims. Yes, the temps are rising, but claiming it's just because of pollution is ignorant. 20 years ago everyone was freaking out about global cooling. We have no idea of the macro climate changes the earth under goes normally. One volcano eruption puts the human race down to less than 1% of the total pollution for the year.

I believe in good stewardship of the planet and resources we have been given. Cleaning up after ourselves is part of that process. However, get some perspective on the issue...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:46 AM

Czubaka.... dont get me wrong, i am by far not ignorant on this topic.... and i do agree with you on ur statements all i am saying is we also need perspective and respect the earth. and we just need to be more responsible

Last edited by RealVibes.net; Oct 10, 2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:46 AM

meh, one volcanic eruption produces more carbon monoxide than all of the cars have in history. these owners comprise like .0001% of car owners
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by k270kmh
I know that a lot of people here will flame on me, but anyway I think that we have to think about the environment too.

I know that the test pipe or cat delete produce the most gains and a better engine response, but it produces a lot of pollution too.

Nowadays the High flow catalytic converters are giving almost the same gains of the test pipes, but without pollution.

Does the 5whp more (test pipe vs High flow cat) worth the environment degradation?
Your entire premise is built on assumptions without facts.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RealVibes.net
Czubaka.... dont get me wrong, i am by far not ignorant on this topic.... and i do agree with you on ur statements all i am saying is we also need perspective and respect the earth. and we just need to be more responsible
Agreed, that's why I'll always run a cat. Sorry, I just get really worked up over this issue. Discover Science Channel ran some thing about global warming "separating fact from fiction". It was so politically one-sided that I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes of it.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:02 AM

i get worked up too.... the environmentalist only show their side and the people against it only shows their side, so its hard for people to get proper info unless they are willing to invest time in doing their own research.... most of us wont because we dont have the time or we feel the time can be better used for something else.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:19 AM

the emission laws in this country are out of whack. i look at all the trucks who dump so much pollution everytime they take off or hit the throttle hard.

the only reason i would not want to run a test pipe would be because of the noise level. i like my performance and looks of the car to speak for themselves, not the noise level it produces. noisy vehicle takes away from its mature status and grabs too much attention for negative reasons like the go slow harleys. on the otherhand my friend has loudmouth catback on his GTO and the thing sounds awesome. too bad the EVO can't be made to sound that way.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
Get a cat. It will make your car smell less, those behind you will appreciate it, and you will be saving the environment to boot. 5-10HP is not worth it.
+10
Old Oct 10, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a cat because I like the fact that my car(while modified:272's,alky.etc..)is still pretty much "street legal". I run a flash and a works hi flow cat and pass the obd test and the visual test with no problem. i think that you can still effectively make lots of power with a cat. When i do switch to a big turbo I plan on keeping the cat and see what kind of #'s are achieved. Plus the fact that the unfiltered exhaust fumes can induce headaches in traffic. My .02 I drive the car every day and while I do the cat will remain on the car,once it becomes a weekend car we'll see, but I am not sure if the gains will be really worth it.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uncatalyzed race gas smells like perfume to me!
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

well i think the best solution is to run a HFC if you drive your car daily and use a test-pipe if you compete. it only takes a few minutes to make the swap and this way we will have both worlds... a "clean" daily driven car and a flame throwing monster when racing...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by pkradgreek
the only reason i would not want to run a test pipe would be because of the noise level. i like my performance and looks of the car to speak for themselves, not the noise level it produces. noisy vehicle takes away from its mature status and grabs too much attention for negative reasons like the go slow harleys. on the otherhand my friend has loudmouth catback on his GTO and the thing sounds awesome. too bad the EVO can't be made to sound that way.
+1

I run a cat to try and keep the car as low key as possible to not attract attention from cops and teenage punks by reducing both the sound and smell.

Quick Reply: A vote for the High flow cats