Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: Would you have bought the Evo/STi if it came wingless only
Yes, I would have still bought the Evo/STi if it came wingless
78.89%
No, I would not have bought the Evo/STi if it came wingless
21.11%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

If both the Evo and the STi came wingless only...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rguy
On the track, wing is on. Off the track, id have it off. Why? Cause i dont want some stupid *** kids doing something to the car, or attracting attention from the cops when i dont need it.
Just dont drive fast then.....PSHHAHAHAH Yea right!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:07 AM

I think the car looks like CRAP without the wing, but whatever floats your boat!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Iliked the wing when I first bought the car but then it started peeling, fading, etc...so I took it off to fix it. I drove it for a couple of days wingless and liked the look. Once the wing was done being fixed I put it back on but it just wasnt the same so about a month later I went wingless again and havent looked back. The car just looks cleaner, just my opinion of course
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:15 AM
Account Disabled

Wow..this thread blew up..why would it matter? I mean yeah it does attract attention but the reason I think people bought the evo is mainly because of its performance..not for luxury or looks..same with sti
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

its funny, I read one person saying that he wouldnt even look at an Evo if it didnt have a wing. Then someone replied then you must not look at Evo's much.

Well this is what i think. I like in Sioux City, IA. there is 2 Evos in Sioux City counting mine. I went to colorado springs this last summer for the dynoflash custom tuning. I must have seen 3 evos on the way there but i didnt know they were at first. Honestly and this is not a bash on wingless evos I am just telling you when i seen them i thought to myself "look at those wanna-be Evos." i thought that some wanna-be went out bought a regular lancer and then bought an evo body kit, and jsut couldnt afford the wing. but maybe they were Evos.

From where i am from i dont see Evo's ever day, that other Evo in sioux city i seen twice driving by. Sioux City has a population of 130,000.

But i do agree. I was looking at either buying a STi or another Evo. I decided on the Evo because of the way it looked and I had to drive to lincoln, Ne to buy it. when i got there they had 3 of them. 2 with wings and 1 without and thought to myself "why would you buy and Evo without a wing?" without it it just looks like a sedan, but i could see you taking it off for more of a sleeper look. maybe you should go out and buy a regular lancer body kit and some hub caps to go over your rims, that would be such a sleeper, lol
Old Dec 21, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

I'd be willing to bet that there's a strong correlation between age and the desirablility of the wing. I suspect that under 25 likes the wing and over 25 doesn't. It would also be interesting to break it down by level of education. Personally, I think the wings are kind of silly ( oh look at me, I'm a race car driver!).
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kordwood
I'd be willing to bet that there's a strong correlation between age and the desirablility of the wing. I suspect that under 25 likes the wing and over 25 doesn't. It would also be interesting to break it down by level of education. Personally, I think the wings are kind of silly ( oh look at me, I'm a race car driver!).
first point i agree with, second, youre a silly old fellow
Old Dec 21, 2006, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by diablo2184
So why dont you all just go buy a Ralliart Lancer and turbo it. the reason for these cars are to be driven on the track. awd is used for the autocross track. you want a car that you wont get pulled over in, no wing, and all the other reasons you guys use, then sell the Evo to someone that knows how to use them and buy a lancer or something.

Ignorance is your friend .

I drive both everyday. There is no noticeable difference FYI. If you lik it thats fine. But dont be ignorant and say that the car is better on a track with it when you cant drive good enough to know the difference anyway

Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kordwood
I'm an old guy, but I'm keeping the wing!

How else would I block the headlights of the guy behind me...?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

I might get rid of the wing if I get too many more dirty looks from cops. I dont like the way it blocks the headlights in my rearview mirror, it makes them flash on and off in my vision.

But it looks so much better with it on. Wings are good for cars that acutally can use them for a reason.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:12 PM

I want to take the Wing off when driving around town because it gets in the way of noticing what kind of car is following me. I don't care if other people know I'm driving an evo or not nor do I need a massive wing to let me know I have a special car.

When I go back to do track events, the wing will go back on.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

wing or no wing

AWD FTW!!!!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:51 PM

Wing or no wing, I would like the look of it, but for now I like how it looks with it. Besides, it ACTUALLY does something
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Ah I bought my EVo, because of it being wingless. EVO RS FTW
Old Dec 21, 2006, 01:54 PM

i would've bought it wing or wingless. All go no show. But i don't mind the wing there since it came with it. I thought that i could fly with the wing on there!!

Quick Reply: If both the Evo and the STi came wingless only...