Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

5th Gear Grind On IX Gsr

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the gears on the car felt notchy from day one...Like I said before I don't drive my car hard very often and dont slam the gears when I'm driving it hard. I noticed today that when im going anywhere over about 55mph no matter how slow I shift it will grind. Sometimes you can actually hear it, it sounds pretty bad.
So im going to be changing the oil probably next weekend, so I guess ill just change the underhood bushings and tranny fluid while im at it...Hopefully that will help, if not I have to deal with the dealership....
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have my car in for 5h gear grind . when i race teh car i no lift shift but i never get into 5th nore have i ever shifted into 5th hard . when they tore down the trans to rebuild it they found it unrepairable . it have spun a bearing. what i beliove the 5th gear grind comes from is shifting into 5th from other gears than 4th . mine all started when i shifted from 3rd to 5th and just got worse and worse.

changing the fluid in a trans will usualy never fix it . comon how dom you fix a broke part with out actually fixing it ?
Old Oct 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

take it to the dealer, dont change the fluid to try make it go away. Take it in doing what it is, and you have a better chance of getting the repair then if you try messing with it first
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MR06Evo
Well the gears on the car felt notchy from day one...Like I said before I don't drive my car hard very often and dont slam the gears when I'm driving it hard. I noticed today that when im going anywhere over about 55mph no matter how slow I shift it will grind. Sometimes you can actually hear it, it sounds pretty bad.
So im going to be changing the oil probably next weekend, so I guess ill just change the underhood bushings and tranny fluid while im at it...Hopefully that will help, if not I have to deal with the dealership....

Did you read my post???

You just need to develope your "evo shift".
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:53 AM
Account Disabled

I saw that he had an intake and I just totally zoned out. Sorry. Good luck with the whatchamakalit on your thingamajig.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

is royal purple max gear okay to use in the tranny? Its the correct weight and is gl-4, but it is also gl-5 certified.

http://www.rpmoil.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=116
Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

yes the evo shifting is notchy...you have to adjust to it....you can't force it into gear...you have to let it go into gear ....i don't know how to explain it....you just have to feel it and it won't grind...even when driving fast don't force it and it will go into gear just fine
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

The only person having problems with 5th gear grind ...
A newbie with an Evo IX living in Miami.

Next time by a non-Evo automatic.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Never have any issues with my 2005 8 going into 5th . 2nd and 3rd have grinding though. I was running what AMS reccomended redline shockproof in the tranny but plan on switching to the bg syncromesh . I also have trouble going into reverse when the car is cold
Old Oct 13, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
You just need to develope your "evo shift".
Thats funny right there

Honestly i looked at it like this, yes its an evo and the trans is suppost to be better, but its a stock awd trans bolted to a 4g63 its gonna have problems eventually. Add in the fact that you beat the crap out of it and havent developed you "evo shift" its gonna break. Im not pointing fingers or making fun of anyone this is just the way i look at it. I plan on hopefully haveing my trans and transfer can rebuilt before they break

You wanna play, you gotta pay
Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have never had any problems with my MR the shifter gives alot of feedback... but it doesnt grind... I have adjusted to it...I dont even notice its "notchy" unless i drive another car.... When I push it i shift kinda fast but it doesnt effect anything that i can tell... I dont slam it into gear though.... i only use my fingers to shift so i dont put any pressure on the stifter hardly..... In el paso the aluminum shift knob gets to hot to touch so i have changed the way i shift since i got the car.....
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:56 PM

i also get that 5th gear grind on my IX
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

"Crunching" gears is a common thread for AWD vehicles. These problems come up with the WRX as well. Its just not EVO related. You need to shift a bit slower with the EVO and let the revs drop just a bit and just slip the gear right in.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:12 PM
Account Disabled

i have the same problem with my fifth gear it grinds sometimes if im not slaming gears evo 9 tarmac black