Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

5th Gear Grind On IX Gsr

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5th Gear Grind On IX Gsr

I did a little searching and found various threads on evo VIII Having 5th gear griding issues. I only found 1 on the ix and there was no result to it. My car has 5,400 miles and I only drive it hard from time to time. Only mod is apexi intake and some other minimal stuff. Is anyone else having these issues on the ix? Also it just happens even when im shifitng into 5th regularly I dont have to be driving the car hard for this to happen.
I read that changing the tranny fluid to royal purple or some other high performance fluid may help so I will be trying that this weekend. Just want to know if anyont else has been having these issues on the IX and what they have done to fix them. And I would like to avoid the dealership at all cost, I like doing things myself...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just take it bact to the dealer don't try to fix it with a bandaid.......
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

For all the people that have grinding gears I'm wondering how hard you are on the car when you shift. People that "slam" the gears don't know what the hell they are doing. It fries the synchros and it's not even necessary. Combine that with the no lift shifting that all of you love and its no wonder people in here blow clutches and trannies.

There should be no reason a tranny synchros wear down that fast unless you abuse it. Your shifts can be quick without punching the shifter into the gear. Quick shifting is all in your left foot, not your hand. Your shifts should be precise and light, but everytime I see one of these posts I just see a picture in my head of all these F&F wannabes slamming the shifter, which is just about the worst thing you can do besides engine braking and misshifting.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:35 PM

lol precise n LIGHT wtf are u talking bout buddy this is not a buick abuse the **** out of it.. and go roadrace hehe
Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST
For all the people that have grinding gears I'm wondering how hard you are on the car when you shift. People that "slam" the gears don't know what the hell they are doing. It fries the synchros and it's not even necessary. Combine that with the no lift shifting that all of you love and its no wonder people in here blow clutches and trannies.

There should be no reason a tranny synchros wear down that fast unless you abuse it. Your shifts can be quick without punching the shifter into the gear. Quick shifting is all in your left foot, not your hand. Your shifts should be precise and light, but everytime I see one of these posts I just see a picture in my head of all these F&F wannabes slamming the shifter, which is just about the worst thing you can do besides engine braking and misshifting.
Do you even have an Evo to know what you're talking about?? My IX had grinding from 1-2 and from 4-5 from day one.

There are some things you can do. The first thing I did after reading posts on here was to change the underhood bushings from the stock rubber ones to metal ones - about $20. Made an immediate difference in feel and a slight improvement in grinding, but still worth it. The next thing I did was to adjust the clutch pedal - it's free and this helped the most. Mine also "loosened up" right around 6000 miles. I do have BG Syncromesh on my list at my next oil change in about 2 weeks because I've heard so many things, but to be honest, mine is pretty good now.

You may also want to slightly change the way you shift. My Evo shifts differently than any other car I've had. Find the pattern that your car likes the best For my 4-5 shift, I don't push over and up at the same time - I make a deliberate over and then up movement.

Good luck!
Old Oct 10, 2006, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

why is engine braking extremely harmful to the engine?
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

i think that was my thread on my ix grinding going into 5th lol
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

my nine has grinded in 5th since i drove it off the lot LITERALLY
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JDMevoBOOST

Sorry to tell you noobs, but this non-EVO owners is right.

You guys need to learn to drive.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

if you have gear grinding I think the best way to fix it is to ajust your clutch.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dennyt4
Do you even have an Evo to know what you're talking about?? My IX had grinding from 1-2 and from 4-5 from day one.

There are some things you can do. The first thing I did after reading posts on here was to change the underhood bushings from the stock rubber ones to metal ones - about $20. Made an immediate difference in feel and a slight improvement in grinding, but still worth it. The next thing I did was to adjust the clutch pedal - it's free and this helped the most. Mine also "loosened up" right around 6000 miles. I do have BG Syncromesh on my list at my next oil change in about 2 weeks because I've heard so many things, but to be honest, mine is pretty good now.

You may also want to slightly change the way you shift. My Evo shifts differently than any other car I've had. Find the pattern that your car likes the best For my 4-5 shift, I don't push over and up at the same time - I make a deliberate over and then up movement.

Good luck!
I've owner a VIII and IX. On my VIII, I was just like you. Did every mod I could to make shifting better (ss, bushing, new oil, removed restrictor, adjust pedal, etc.. Non of it worked. Then I just started driving better.
When I got the IX all I did was a SS and shifting is perfect.

You just have to develop you "EVO shift", which is different from any "honda shift", "DSM shift" or "front wheel dirve shift".
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

I think the grinding is normal because I drove mutiple Evo's and all of them had the notchy feeling when you shift.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mystique
I think the grinding is normal because I drove mutiple Evo's and all of them had the notchy feeling when you shift.
Yes, it normal for EVO to be real notchy. Because its really notchy, you have to develope your "EVO shift".
Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR06Evo
I did a little searching and found various threads on evo VIII Having 5th gear griding issues. I only found 1 on the ix and there was no result to it. My car has 5,400 miles and I only drive it hard from time to time. Only mod is apexi intake and some other minimal stuff. Is anyone else having these issues on the ix? Also it just happens even when im shifitng into 5th regularly I dont have to be driving the car hard for this to happen.
U barely have 5,400 miles on it and u already grind on your IX? Sorry to hear that, bro.

I got a used 8 and just barely passed 12k and have no 5th gear grinding issues (yet).
Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:08 AM
Evolved Member

Double clutch. That will keep it form grinding. My tranny has been rebuilt by mitsu 3 times. Its going to shep now.

Quick Reply: 5th Gear Grind On IX Gsr