Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tired of Evo -- Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pao
Yup ignoring them does the trick well...or point and laugh hysterically
Ignoring them is not always an option when they either ride your *** or cut you off. It's that stuff more than anything that really gets me. And I know they do it because they are trying to "impress" me by blowing past me and then cutting me off, showing me just how loud their $hitty autozone exhausts can get when they push their vtech engines to their whopping 5Krpm redlines.

Do I sound a little annoyed? = )
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

My stock clutch lasted about 30,000 miles. That was with numerous street/strip launches on it. I now have a Exedy twin disk that has been in there for the last 25,000 miles. It's been driven on hard with the same amount of street/stripe launches. It may just be the way you drive your clutch to be honest.

Now for the unwanted attention. What do you expect from a car like the EVO? Just learn to ignore them. I'll be damned I would get rid of my pride and joy just cause I have some retard rev on me or give me some kind of race face. The posotives outway the negatives in my situation. I just enjoy driving and modding my car......the rest I could care less about.

If your that unhappy with your car and can't get you clutch issues resolved, maybe it's just time for you to take a break from it all for a while. Wait for something else and scoop it up. Honestly though.....I don't see anything that is as much fun to drive and modify than the EVO.

Good luck with your decision though......
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your gonna get rid of a great car like this then hold out for the 2008 or 2009 supra.... If they come out with it.... I really hope they do.. this one will be paid off by then. Of course it is designed around the new IS350.. I think... i will look it up again. anyway... or trade up for a Exige people will be to dumb founded to see one to race you...... they are like 52k last i checked... which was a while ago. thats my 2cents...
Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only said S2000 b/c, It is the most fun I've had for under 30k and very reliable...lol but yea something is def. wrong is your going through clutch's that fast especially like you said without launching or anything...
Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:43 AM
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jax419
It is the most fun I've had for under 30k and very reliable
Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

sounds like you are ready to move on to a more adult car and i'm right there with you! have you looked into the SRT-8 Jeep Grand Cherokee? 420hp/420tq, AWD, Automatic! these things are the hotness!
Old Oct 11, 2006, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

do you lift to shift?
do you do lots of high speed pulls?

theres a million things that could make the clutch go premature.

good luck with what ever you decide
Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
If I ever get rid of my Evo, I'm going back to a 350Z. It still performs damn well (not as good as Evo, of course), and looks awesome.

Think about this though... you bought a Mitsu. You should expect and prepare for headaches.

Maybe it's not your driving style, clutches or install. Maybe something else is wrong, like the tranny or something down in that area. Have you taken it to Mitsu and asked them about it?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

Hell, I have launched my car on the stock clutch numerous times on around 330whp and it lasted me quite sometime. However, I do know of many people here who have been able to keep their stock clutch with minimal mods and have launched it for over 20000miles. Now aftermarket clutches have been known to not last very long due to the sheer beating on them but this is pretty common.

Aside from that, drivetrain issues are common with a awd vehicle. Its actually part of the gig. Now if you say you dont launch or abuse the clutch then there must be something that you are doing thats wrong to cause these problems. Because 280whp is not much power.

IMHO I wouldnt get another vehicle unless you could do without the handling.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax419
I only said S2000 b/c, It is the most fun I've had for under 30k and very reliable...lol but yea something is def. wrong is your going through clutch's that fast especially like you said without launching or anything...
Yep, my S2K is soo fun. It like a damn F1 car and its slower then the evo. Funny, huh?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
i agree with renting a ****ty car for a week...you'll come crawling back.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

2008 Vw R32 Dsg
Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by orion981
a.) I never engine brake (I either depress the clutch or put it in neutral when decellerating).
Doesn't holding the clutch in wear the throw out bearing? Could that be the issue he is experiencing? Throw out bearing goes causing the clutch to prematurely wear? I'm not that familiar with how the bearing affects the rest of the clutch system, but i thought I'd mention this if it matters.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

I agree about the clutch issue, but honestly, I've been driving clutches my entire life. I would love some pointers if I'm doing anything wrong. Maybe you guys can clue me in.

a.) I never engine brake (I either depress the clutch or put it in neutral when decellerating).

b.) I try NEVER to slip the clutch, although this seems unavoidable when you just start to move, although I've learned to give it the right amount of gas before pulling the clutch out so it will engage and get going. The thing about the Exedys is they'll moan when you do try to slip the clutch.

c.) I don't do launches...EVER.

d.) I've had all clutches installed at Pruven Performance, and I'm pretty confident in their knowledge and ability.

So, does anything stand out here that I'm doing wrong?
There is some aggressiveness somewhere. I have a stock clutch, 20 launches, countless no lift shifts, and only now does the stock clutch want to slip on the launch. I have 19K miles.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

I agree about the clutch issue, but honestly, I've been driving clutches my entire life. I would love some pointers if I'm doing anything wrong. Maybe you guys can clue me in.

b.) I try NEVER to slip the clutch, although this seems unavoidable when you just start to move, although I've learned to give it the right amount of gas before pulling the clutch out so it will engage and get going. The thing about the Exedys is they'll moan when you do try to slip the clutch.

c.) I don't do launches...EVER.

d.) I've had all clutches installed at Pruven Performance, and I'm pretty confident in their knowledge and ability.

So, does anything stand out here that I'm doing wrong?
That's very odd, I have 40k miles on the stock clutch with 290 WHP and no problems at all...plus I started learning to drive a manual the day I drove the Evo off the lot.

* There's nothing wrong with using the engine to slow you down as long as you rev-match and don't drag the clutch to bring up the engine speed.

Do you drive with your left foot over the clutch or the dead pedal? How are your motor mounts (can't this affect clutch egagement)? Do you put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor when shifting? Have you had the stock rubber clutch line and restrictor removed?

Good luck...sounds like you may need a change of pace anyway...even if you solve your clutch problems, the car will always be a target.